5,605,026 Members 34,599 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SD Root] Make 16 or 8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16or8gbV4.7]

Tip us?

tamaramarrero
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquirrel02 View Post
@tamara, I don't know that you can access the library from the ADW apps menu. I know you can see your BN apps content from ADW, but the Library? I'll check mine - maybe I'm wrong (?)

It's a good point all. Doesn't make sense to have to install the Nook software on the NT in order to see your Library. Anyone looking at that?
Yeah I see that I can still get to my books.I was just seeing if there was a way to get the book on the ADW home

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1301

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaramarrero View Post
Yeah I see that I can still get to my books.I was just seeing if there was a way to get the book on the ADW home

You can now use the latest version of ES file explorer for that purpose but if you want to manage your shortcuts then download ES Bookmark Manager.

~ Veronica
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads

loveubuntu
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Default Root Nook Tablet 1.4.2 using Ubuntu Linux

This worked great with 1.4.2. Thank you very much.

I was helping a friend with her NT and wasn't sure how easy it would be to do this with Ubuntu Linux. Piece of cake. For Linux users: (feel free to include in original post)

1- Download the SD_ROOT_NT16gbV4_6.zip from original post
2- extract the NT16gbV4_6 image file.img file only, you don't need all the other Windows garbage
3-rename the file to get rid of the spaces, I renamed it NT16gbV4_6.img
4-fire up the terminal and CD to the directory your file is in, mine was in the Downloads so (case sensitive of course)

Code:
cd Downloads
5- find out what drive is your sd card, type in

Code:
mount
note all the mounted drives, then plug the sd card in your computer (I use a usb stick card reader), and type

Code:
mount
see which was added and ignore the number. Mine was sdb1 (sdb). Yours maybe sdc or whatever. Please use your head, you don't want to erase your computers hard drive by choosing the wrong drive.

6- while the sd card is plugged in, type in the terminal

Code:
dd if=NT16gbV4_6.img of=/dev/sdb
assuming that you are already in the directory your file is in, you have renamed the file as I did, and your sd card is sdb. Make any changes accordingly and press enter. It took about 2-3 minutes for the img file to be written.

7-then follow the instruction in the original post.

bocaccio
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Installed fine but when i try to setup email i get an error says cannot find application email.
download dj mixes and check out my dance music radio

VH99
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Okay I'm gonna try to root my gf's 16gb 1.4.2 tablet. One question though. If i do this will i have the B&N apps i currently have AND android market? (Google play lol)

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

VH99
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Oh and is it also necessary to install a OTA blocker? If so, why? Just being pre cautious. Thanks in advance

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1301

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by VH99 View Post
Oh and is it also necessary to install a OTA blocker? If so, why? Just being pre cautious. Thanks in advance

why? because if you don't do it when B&n release the next update you will get it and so root and most of your apps will be broken.
Advice install CWM and make a backup once you finish setting up your girlfriend's NT so if something happens in a future and you need to revert back to what you had you will be able to.
Sideload CMW app and other apps via ADB (don't know if it works but it should though) you may want to edit your build.prop to make google play think your gf's NT is a nexus S or droid 3 so you can see more apps in there. Check here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH99 View Post
Okay I'm gonna try to root my gf's 16gb 1.4.2 tablet. One question though. If i do this will i have the B&N apps i currently have AND android market? (Google play lol)

yes
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

VH99
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavero.burgos View Post
why? because if you don't do it when B&n release the next update you will get it and so root and most of your apps will be broken.
Advice install CWM and make a backup once you finish setting up your girlfriend's NT so if something happens in a future and you need to revert back to what you had you will be able to.
Sideload CMW app and other apps via ADB (don't know if it works but it should though) you may want to edit your build.prop to make google play think your gf's NT is a nexus S or droid 3 so you can see more apps in there. Check here

yes
Thanks for your replies

hoodred
Old
Thanks Meter 29
HI
Does this work for NT 8GB with 1.4.2
Just bought NT8 with firmware 1.4.2
I followed the instruction and i have checked all files are on SD card
however I cant seem to boot either with usb cable, power and N button or power button alone.
Nothing comes up the screen just keep blank.
When I remove the sd card it boot up again.
I tried with 4 different sd cards.
Am I missing something ?

Thanks

albertwertz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
please provide a step by step of your process...

Take sd card, put in nook, unmount and erase
plug in usb to mount to pc
unpack file to desktop
run exe
chose sd image
chose external sd on nook (not mynook drive)
write
unplug usb and turn off
pop sd out and in, plug in usb, leave alone.
let us know what happens.

The files work, they have been tested. Most of the time, if they dont work, its user error.
Check out my Youtube Channel. I demo how to Root/ Unroot and demo several games and essential apps for many devices!
Donate to support my productions..
List of Devices: Samsung Galaxy SIII, Nexus 7, Nook Tablet, Asus Transformer, Notion Ink Adam. If you have a demo request, let me know.

Check out my Channel by clicking here.