Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,799 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Transformer TF101G unable to boot to recovery.

Tip us?

PeekNPoke
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question [Q] Transformer TF101G unable to boot to recovery.

Hi all,

This may sound like an old problem but believe me, it's not. Let me explain.

I've rooted my Transformer TF101G (B90) last year sometime on 3.2.1. This works fine with no issues. I've flashed ClockworkMod after installing ROM Manager. This worked fine, I can boot normally, I can boot to recovery, no problem.

With the latest update available from ASUS via the web, I decided to to allow the annoying icon complaining about upgrading to download and run the upgrade. After downloading the update the Pad rebooted so if to install the new update. This landed me on the CWM with an error message that stated the verification (or something failed). After this, the Transformer wouldn't boot directly to Android, but ended up booting to the recovery partition every time. I had to use the fastboot option to "cold boot" into Android.

This was annoying, so I googled and found the solution on this forum to fix the issue with 5.5.0.4 that kept rebooting to recovery. This solved that problem and I was still able to boot to recovery whenever required.

I decided to update CWM to version 5.8.2.1 via ROM Manager. This seemed to work via ROM Manager, but restarting the transformer and going to recovery showed version 5.5.0.4 still. So I went back to ROM Manager and it showed that it was upgraded to 5.8.2.1. I decided to update this to ClockworkMod Touch by purchasing it via Google market to support the guys that do development on it. This claimed to install also. "Reboot into Recovery" from ROM Manager still showed version 5.5.0.4.

I was now very confused.

So I decided to downgrade CWM from the 5.8.2.1 version it stated was installed to version 5.8.1.9. This worked according to ROM Manager, but rebooting into recovery still showed 5.5.0.4. I mean, WTF!

In the meanwhile the freeken update icon on the task tray still complained about updating Android. I allowed it again to try and update. At the point it rebooted it left me stuck on the "EEE Pad" screen.

Booting up with Vol - and Power takes me to the screen that gives you an option to press Vol + to boot to RCK. Doing so the Pad freezes at "Booting Recovery Kernel Image". My PC then detects USB ADB interface but any adb commands respond with "error: device offline" or "error: device not found".

Booting up with Vol + and Power leaves the screen blank. My PC then detects an USB APX interface. Using "fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.1-tf101.img" only responds with "waiting for device".

The only way to boot my tablet at the moment is to use the "cold boot" option.

I would like to think I've tried everything out there and would appreciated anybody that could point me to maybe something else I could try.

PS: In ROM Manager I get "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands" when I use the "Fix Permissions" option.

PeekNPoke
Old
(Last edited by PeekNPoke; 10th April 2012 at 03:18 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeekNPoke View Post
PS: In ROM Manager I get "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands" when I use the "Fix Permissions" option.
Fixed the privileged error by installing Busybox, but still unable to boot to recovery even when reinstalling CWM with the "Erase Recovery" option ticked.

dragon_76
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Fixed the privileged error by installing Busybox, but still unable to boot to recovery even when reinstalling CWM with the "Erase Recovery" option ticked.
I had the same problem. It seems the 5.5.0.4 or whatever recovery has borked the transformer. First, I was just in a recovery loop and when I followed how to get out of it, I have no recovery at all now it seems. I need to find a recovery.img and fastboot to manually install it but I can't find a recovery.img that is current.

PeekNPoke
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_76 View Post
I had the same problem. It seems the 5.5.0.4 or whatever recovery has borked the transformer. First, I was just in a recovery loop and when I followed how to get out of it, I have no recovery at all now it seems. I need to find a recovery.img and fastboot to manually install it but I can't find a recovery.img that is current.
I can't get fastboot to work either. I though I might reinstall ClockworkMod via

fastboot.exe -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.1-tf101.img

but it never connects.

Is there no tool that could be used from the adb shell that could re-flash ClockworkMod or even the original recovery (if that is available somewhere)?

mmarco80
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I can't get fastboot to work either. I though I might reinstall ClockworkMod via

fastboot.exe -i 0x0b05 flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.1-tf101.img

but it never connects.

Is there no tool that could be used from the adb shell that could re-flash ClockworkMod or even the original recovery (if that is available somewhere)?
Same problem here(tf101g): tried to update to ics.... stuck on cwm 5.5.0.4
Resolved problem using: echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0

Now i can't access to cwm, even if i update to the last cwm touch....paying...any idea?
The Following User Says Thank You to mmarco80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thomas Cardif
Old
(Last edited by Thomas Cardif; 13th April 2012 at 10:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default recovery

Sorry for my bad english,
I think I have the solution
First invites you down the driver and the nvflsh see appendix are the drivers are too large as a single file
2 go into the apx and the modern transformer connected to the PC
Third drivers instalation
4 instalation nvflasch
then you have a new recovery
This worked for me

ps I have a B60

mmarco80
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarco80 View Post
Same problem here(tf101g): tried to update to ics.... stuck on cwm 5.5.0.4
Resolved problem using: echo boot | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=0

Now i can't access to cwm, even if i update to the last cwm touch....paying...any idea?
I've solved The problem whit the gnufabio toolsto install recovery. Then Used "reboot to recovery"
Now i've manually installed official ics ....work fine!

hans_zelf
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Cardif View Post
Sorry for my bad english,
I think I have the solution
First invites you down the driver and the nvflsh see appendix are the drivers are too large as a single file
2 go into the apx and the modern transformer connected to the PC
Third drivers instalation
4 instalation nvflasch
then you have a new recovery
This worked for me

ps I have a B60
I tried this combined with the instructions on android.modaco.com/topic/335416-nvflash-setup-instructions-drivers-links-active because I'd never used nvflash before.
I managed to boot my TF101 in APX-mode, but as soon as I do any nvflash-command (e.g. nvflash --sync) the connection to the TF is lost:
Quote:
C:\Program Files (x86)\nvflash>nvflash --sync
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X4
Command send failed (usb write failed)
After that I have to reboot the TF and shut it down again to be able to go into APX-mode again.
What do I miss? Mine is a B80.

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_zelf View Post
What do I miss? Mine is a B80.
You can't use nvflash with a B80

hans_zelf
Old
(Last edited by hans_zelf; 16th April 2012 at 05:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
You can't use nvflash with a B80
Oops. Fastbook doesn't seem to work either. Any ideas?

Tags
transformer;tf101;clockworkmod;recovery;boot