Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 44,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is this the end of GB updates for the ARC?

Tip us?

CrazyPeter
Old
Thanks Meter 421
The Sony losses are blown out of proportion by the Sony hating tech media. Sony aren't American basically.

If you don't like icons and stuff, just install go launcher.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

AtxX
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joens View Post
My issues are basically interface-related, that is why I hope the Sony implementation is better than stock ICS.

1) Icons. Seriously. A 14-year old would like them, I am sure.
2) What the hell is a Google search bar doing at the top of the screen? I do not want it. If I wanted it I would install the 'Google search' widget. Make it go away.
3) Widgets menu placed next to applications menu. I understand this makes finding the wanted widget easier, but this is not a tablet. I do not think that mobile phone owners change widgets so often that they should have the same status as apps.
4) Shortcut to Google Play on the top of the apps/widgets menu. Again, no possibility of deleting it (like the search bar)
5) Inability to add apps/shortcuts/widgets to the home screens by pressing on an empty spot and holding. Now it has to be done by going to the desired app/widget and pressing and holding.
6) Settings. It is nice that now they are accessible via the notifications bar. However, it took me a while to guess that to configure WiFi access now I had to actually click on 'Wifi' and then a menu opened. I guess I am used to the old 'Wifi settings' menu.
7) GB on my Arc (1205 quadrant) feels more responsive than ICS on my Nexus S (1194 quadrant). A small difference but the Arc just feels faster.
8) Task switcher now shows a screenshot of all open/recently opened apps. Again, like a tablet. And again, this is not a tablet. Nice feature in theory however scrolling the list of apps is not as fluid as it should be.

Oh well I see that I should stay with GB

Just ROOT it, and all bad karma goes away.....

peacekeeper05
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by joens View Post
My issues are basically interface-related, that is why I hope the Sony implementation is better than stock ICS.

1) Icons. Seriously. A 14-year old would like them, I am sure.
2) What the hell is a Google search bar doing at the top of the screen? I do not want it. If I wanted it I would install the 'Google search' widget. Make it go away.
3) Widgets menu placed next to applications menu. I understand this makes finding the wanted widget easier, but this is not a tablet. I do not think that mobile phone owners change widgets so often that they should have the same status as apps.
4) Shortcut to Google Play on the top of the apps/widgets menu. Again, no possibility of deleting it (like the search bar)
5) Inability to add apps/shortcuts/widgets to the home screens by pressing on an empty spot and holding. Now it has to be done by going to the desired app/widget and pressing and holding.
6) Settings. It is nice that now they are accessible via the notifications bar. However, it took me a while to guess that to configure WiFi access now I had to actually click on 'Wifi' and then a menu opened. I guess I am used to the old 'Wifi settings' menu.
7) GB on my Arc (1205 quadrant) feels more responsive than ICS on my Nexus S (1194 quadrant). A small difference but the Arc just feels faster.
8) Task switcher now shows a screenshot of all open/recently opened apps. Again, like a tablet. And again, this is not a tablet. Nice feature in theory however scrolling the list of apps is not as fluid as it should be.

Oh well I see that I should stay with GB
1-6 is actually very solvable even without rooting. Lol. Just download a different launcher.
Smartphones:

Nokia N82>>LG Optimus One>>LG Optimus 2x>>LG optimus 3D>>HTC Desire HD>>Google Nexus S>>Apple Iphone 4>>SE Xperia Arc>>HTC Sensation (current)>>Galaxy Nexus>>Galaxy Note 2(still active)>>HTC One (retired)>>Samsung Galaxy S5 (blue)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Tab>>Asus EePad Transformer TF101

adielee
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPeter View Post
The Sony losses are blown out of proportion by the Sony hating tech media. Sony aren't American basically.

If you don't like icons and stuff, just install go launcher.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
As much as I love the brand I gotta admit that they don't have the best support though. lots of outdated drivers for other products that never get updated...... despite this, I keep coming back as they have awesome products.

phanurak24
Old
Thanks Meter 0
still love GB more than ICS hope they update firmware for us soon

chia8331
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It's basically not necessary to update ICS, and ppl may still want to try it anyway (plus all the custom ROM flying around, it's hard to resist, really).

piepie628
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same here, GB works great for me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using XDA