Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 47,370 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: So Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)?
HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint) 31 86.11%
Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)

Tip us?

xdalaw
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Will be replacing my original EVO 4G soon. Was definitely going to get the Galaxy Nexus (my first Nexus device), but the 4G LTE looks very tempting.
I really wanted to go with a Nexus, but am afraid the LTE is too much better to pass up.
Will be watching this thread with interest!

bcb1
Old
(Last edited by bcb1; 9th April 2012 at 02:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Having a tough time deciding too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
Will be replacing my original EVO 4G soon. Was definitely going to get the Galaxy Nexus (my first Nexus device), but the 4G LTE looks very tempting.
I really wanted to go with a Nexus, but am afraid the LTE is too much better to pass up.
Will be watching this thread with interest!
I had been 100% on getting the Galaxy Nexus when it launches later this month, but the new Evo LTE looks really cool, so now I'm not sure which to go with.

The Evo has a better camera - that's one of the features I love about the regular Evo 4G. Looks like it'll have better sound quality as well with the HD sound. But the problems with the USB ports breaking on the motherboard of the Evo has been a real hassle for me, I'm very gentle with my phone and I've had two where the USB port has come loose/stopped working. I wonder if the USB port has been redesigned to be more robust on the new Evo LTE? I also don't like the idea of a non-replaceable battery.

Right now I'm on my second Evo 4G with a busted USB port, and the only thing that's saving me is the fact that I can pop out the battery and charge it with an external charger. If it had a non-replaceable battery I'd be hosed.

So...heck I don't know. It'll be one or the other, just not sure yet. I do like the one-click rooting tool that Wug has up over on Androidcentral for the Galaxy Nexus. Very slick.

analytic168
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Also unsure

That's funny that's exactly the situation I'm in. I've been dealing with a broken USB port on my EVO 4G for months now. I've been eagerly waiting for and planning on getting the galaxy nexus to replace my POS EVO, especially since I discovered the general goodness of AOSP after installing Cyanogenmod on my EVO. The EVO 4G LTE looks really good but
(1) i have already been waiting for months to replace my old EVO
(2) the broken USB thing makes me really worried about HTC's build quality

there are other pros as well as cons. Tough choice!

bcb1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by analytic168 View Post
That's funny that's exactly the situation I'm in. I've been dealing with a broken USB port on my EVO 4G for months now. I've been eagerly waiting for and planning on getting the galaxy nexus to replace my POS EVO, especially since I discovered the general goodness of AOSP after installing Cyanogenmod on my EVO. The EVO 4G LTE looks really good but
(1) i have already been waiting for months to replace my old EVO
(2) the broken USB thing makes me really worried about HTC's build quality

there are other pros as well as cons. Tough choice!
The thing is, I really like the HTC build quality, other than the USB port It's a great device other than that. But I really like the idea of having replaceable batteries, and the Evo LTE clearly won't have that.

Oh...and now I hear that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be out in July, so now I've got three to pick from: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and Evo LTE. My choice just got harder.

Jess813
Old
Thanks Meter 124
I am leaning more towards the Nexus simply because..well its a Nexus! Yes the Evo is tempting but since the Evo packs a 1.5 dual core and the Nexus has a 1.2 dual core, it doesnt seem to make a HUGE leap for me. I have read several reviews includint Phone Arena's video of the HTC One X vs Galaxy Nexus and they gave the winning bid to the Nexus! Simply based on software, The Verge is also saying that they too as well would pick the Nexus! That's crazy! A phone that came out in Nov 2011 can match up to a phone that hasnt come out yet..... Its all software related since the Galaxy Nexus is a Google phone.

I do agree that the Evo has a better screen, but come on, the GN beats out MOST phones out now! Not to mention the Galaxy Nexus keeps up with the Evo camera yet its only a 5 megapixel!

Yes the Evo look like the winner NOW but in 5 months when a newer version of Android comes rolling out, you will wish you had chosen the Nexus.

bcb1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards the Samsung as well. But the question is...jump on the GNex now when it launches in April, or wait another couple months and get the S3?

I don't know how much better the S3 is going to be than the Nexus...

TMartin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1579

DONATE TO ME
I was thinking about getting both....but I think I'll snag an EVO LTE on release and wait to see if Sprint gets a Galaxy SIII variant.
Unofficial ChameleonOS (Sprint HTC One) | ClassicNerd (Touchpad) | Taste of Sense 4.0 (Evo 3D)
For all the latest RUU leaks...
Check out themikmik
If you like my work....
Donate to TMartin
P.S. All donations go toward a pc that I can build from source in under 4 hours...yea, it's taking me over 4 hours at the moment

TheSeanR
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I really like both phones, leaning towards evo because of the specs, but currently I have the evo3d and the only reason I haven't rooted it and ran another rom is because no aosp rom has 4g or the camera working, I'd really hate for that to be the case with the evo 4g lte

bcb1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That's a good point, and another reason to go for the Nexus. There is already a one-click rooting tool available for it that is really slick.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ed-1-22-a.html

Aloupha
Old
(Last edited by Aloupha; 16th April 2012 at 07:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
The nexus is ready to pre-preorder as of today. http://sprint.us/gnexus

I am difinitely getting the EVO simply because it is a much better phone. I have had my EVO 4G since it came out two years ago and have not had any issues with it. I am actually hoping to get it replaced so I could sell the replacement since I will be getting the EVO but again it has no issues at all. So I cant get it replaced.

I don't know about this usb issues some of you have experienced.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

Tags
evo 4g lte, galaxy nexus lte, htc evo 4g lte, samsung galaxy nexus lte