Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,571 Members 51,451 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Motoactv

Tip us?

scuzzynut
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default New start

I used the root tool to root. Now that I know how to perform a system restore and start from the first stage I want to make the attempt once again to root with the root tool and perform the proper set up. Fast forward to the root process being finished. How do I communicate to the device if the adb is enabled? What folder in the MotoActv do I install the necessery files to utilize it as a rooted device? I know this is a lot of questions. At this point I have turned this forum into rooting for dummies, but....what can I say, I'm learning. The last thing I programmed was an altera board for a project back in my DeVry days. HAHA

ClearD
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1172

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzynut View Post
I used the root tool to root. Now that I know how to perform a system restore and start from the first stage I want to make the attempt once again to root with the root tool and perform the proper set up. Fast forward to the root process being finished. How do I communicate to the device if the adb is enabled? What folder in the MotoActv do I install the necessery files to utilize it as a rooted device? I know this is a lot of questions. At this point I have turned this forum into rooting for dummies, but....what can I say, I'm learning. The last thing I programmed was an altera board for a project back in my DeVry days. HAHA
If the root process has finished and you are rebooted, it will look exactly like it used to. You can use Jay's easymodder script (in the wiki) to easily load a launcher, if you don't want to use adb to do it manually. You can flash roms with clockworkmod, after using the adb command:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
to reboot back into recovery. You can also make a full backup in recovery, which is always good to do before modding, but if you made one with the root tool, that will work just the same.
Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3
Phone ROM: ClearDroid-BD SGS3 1.1.1 B Stable
Watch: Motorola MotoACTV
Watch ROM: ClearDroid 1.1.9 T5
PLEASE OVERCLOCK RESPONSIBLY:
"You mean I might break my car by driving it 140 mph all the time?
It's on the speedometer, so it has to be ok, right?" -bdaman80

.: If I help you, click "Thanks" to let me know! :.
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

CEnnis91
Old
Thanks Meter 154

DONATE TO ME
Default Playing Around

So I've been playing around with different things on the MotoActv, now that I have it. I've basically been trying to figure out how to perform different daily activities. Here's my conclusions/findings/whatnot so far:

1) Avoid other virtual keyboards as much as possible; the stock one is FINE, only in rare cases should it be used. (ie Jefit Pro works -- someone asked about that -- but to sign in, you need a 3rd party keyboard); Wifi Keyboard is a decent solution, adb forwarding doesn't work however, and you obviously need wifi for it to work.

2) You can actually access apps in the stock launcher; hit w.e your menu button is (I don't remember reading this, but I might be repeating)

3) I hacked in screenshot functionality using CMScreenshot, just have to bind it to a keycode

4) I should have a way to bind keys, even bringing back the original Start and Media keys IN ADDITION to HOME and MENU from the keymap mod

5) If you're going to run root this and run 3rd party software, the keymap mod is a must, I tried to avoid it, it gets annoying

6) The notification LED is only 1 color (white) but can be anywhere from 0 (off) to 255 (on)

7) DPI changes suck, I wouldn't support them in a ROM, unless they are repackaged the moto apps to run at something like 95; we're already pushing the limits of this device, if the app doesn't work visually, give it up =)

8) There won't be any rotated display because it's disabled at the kernel level; we could/have hacked it back in, but it would break shake to wake, because Motorola never updated the source =( -- I see Ultimate Rotation Control works, but that's not exactly a free or elegant solution; is there really much interest in getting auto rotation working?

9) After using this for quite a bit, I've yet to see the need for a market, but I will still put that in the rom, just a little note.

10) Most used feature so far: Pandora -- seriously Pandora on this is probably one of the coolest things you could install
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CEnnis91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

speedyink
Old
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEnnis91 View Post
1) Avoid other virtual keyboards as much as possible; the stock one is FINE, only in rare cases should it be used. (ie Jefit Pro works -- someone asked about that -- but to sign in, you need a 3rd party keyboard); Wifi Keyboard is a decent solution, adb forwarding doesn't work however, and you obviously need wifi for it to work.

8) There won't be any rotated display because it's disabled at the kernel level; we could/have hacked it back in, but it would break shake to wake, because Motorola never updated the source =( -- I see Ultimate Rotation Control works, but that's not exactly a free or elegant solution; is there really much interest in getting auto rotation working?
What's wrong with other keyboards? You've made me concerned for using the ICS keyboard.

Auto rotation wouldn't really be necessary, although giving apps accelerometer access would be nice.

ClearD
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1172

DONATE TO ME
I'm confused about being able to launch apps from the stock launcher. I hit menu, there is a black screen with one single home icon, that takes me back to the clock screen. Am I missing something? I don't see any of my apps listed there...

Itslame
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
So I've been playing around with different things on the MotoActv, now that I have it. I've basically been trying to figure out how to perform different daily activities. Here's my conclusions/findings/whatnot so far:

2) You can actually access apps in the stock launcher; hit w.e your menu button is (I don't remember reading this, but I might be repeating)

3) I hacked in screenshot functionality using CMScreenshot, just have to bind it to a keycode

4) I should have a way to bind keys, even bringing back the original Start and Media keys IN ADDITION to HOME and MENU from the keymap mod

5) If you're going to run root this and run 3rd party software, the keymap mod is a must, I tried to avoid it, it gets annoying

6) The notification LED is only 1 color (white) but can be anywhere from 0 (off) to 255 (on)

7) DPI changes suck, I wouldn't support them in a ROM, unless they are repackaged the moto apps to run at something like 95; we're already pushing the limits of this device, if the app doesn't work visually, give it up =)

9) After using this for quite a bit, I've yet to see the need for a market, but I will still put that in the rom, just a little note.

10) Most used feature so far: Pandora -- seriously Pandora on this is probably one of the coolest things you could install
1) Try Flit...I think it works better than typing/deleting/typing over and over.
2) Cool, didnt realize that.
3) Meh. Never had a real need for screenshots...
4) Button savior has been a real great way to add the extra keys needed while leaving the stock keys alone.
5) see 4
6)...
7) I found that a lot of apps develop issues when the dpi is changed...I found 95-100 is the lowest I need to go. below 120 and video FC's
8) never needed it myself...
9) no need for installs but updates would be easier with market access.
10) Pandora for sure...but most of my use actually remains the stock features.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearD View Post
I'm confused about being able to launch apps from the stock launcher. I hit menu, there is a black screen with one single home icon, that takes me back to the clock screen. Am I missing something? I don't see any of my apps listed there...
with button savior: if I am in the stock launcher (home) and I select menu (for me, onscreen vs the hardware button) it brings up an app drawer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itslame For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nycghost
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

1> I've been amazed at how functional Flit keyboard is. Its the business!

6>Never did figure out how to get notifications LED to work...

9>If you could find a calendar app that works for the rom, that would be sweet.

Sent from my HUMBLE by Danalo1979 using Tapatalk

delboydell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Screen protectors

I remember someway way people asking about screen protectors, well protctionfilms24.com sell them, they have an ebay shop too.
6 only cost 1.81 euros with postage to the uk!
They are a good fit and quality.
Galaxy s4 .+. Parrot asteroid smart .+.Galaxy Gear

Jeff
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink View Post
I tried the calender.apk and the music.apk from the same rom with no luck. Gallery3d, livewallpaper picker and livewallpaper apks all work though.
I tried the livewallpaper/livewallpaper picker APKs, but I get FCs each time I wish to chose them, maybe my dpi? I might be better off without them for battery life. Seeing a swirling galaxy on my watch however would be stellar!

ClearD
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1172

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I tried the livewallpaper/livewallpaper picker APKs, but I get FCs each time I wish to chose them, maybe my dpi? I might be better off without them for battery life. Seeing a swirling galaxy on my watch however would be stellar!
Do you also have gallery3D installed? It's required to select images.