[Bootloader Bypass] Kexec for Motorola RAZR by kholk & [mbm]

Search This thread

sevenup30

Jan 19, 2011
Montpellier
Thanks for your work kholk!

I know you warned that it's only work on stockrom... but, i even try on eclipse (XT910 EU razr) and it works :D, i booted up on custom kernel and have to set governor to on-demand. Pretty smooth but battery life is poor, maybe because of only one core running.

Anyway great work and thanks!

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
The battery life is poor due to lack of deep sleep when running the new kernel :-(
Hope that kholk will polish it a bit more :)

Sent from a phone with a locked bootloader....

Last edited:

isd88

Sep 12, 2006
Rome
my phone alredy lost sleep capability, i don t need kexec to do it :)

which kernel can we boot.with kexec right now? i hope not just the one kholk provided in the package

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
I just wondered - could anyone explain me why there is a possibility that the second core will never work? - what is the difference between running one or two cores from the kexec's point of view? what seems to be the complication?

sevenup30

Jan 19, 2011
Montpellier
I just wondered - could anyone explain me why there is a possibility that the second core will never work? - what is the difference between running one or two cores from the kexec's point of view? what seems to be the complication?

if i recall, it's because the CPU made a check at boot with something like Efuse.
And with bypass it can't check so it's in safemode with only one core.

But kholk will be more clear than me :p

rob219

Jul 11, 2010
here and there
Google Pixel 7a
how do i know if this is working forsure? this is the first time i have a phone without an unlockable boot loader.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

how do i know if this is working forsure? this is the first time i have a phone without an unlockable boot loader.

im asking because i was curious and ran this on my atrix two while watching the video. everything went as it should but after the reboot my kernel isnt the same as in the video. so did it just not work?

szacuken

Jan 6, 2011
Trzebinia
Hello kholk
I know you talked to Quarx about kexec for Defy and Milestone.

Code:
[15:09:16] <kholk> I've got an OMAP3 device
[15:09:18] <kholk> Motorola Milestone
[15:10:25] <Quarx> you will not do kexec for ML?
[15:12:25] <kholk> Milestone has already got 2ndboot
[15:13:33] <Quarx> 2ndboot is useless..
[15:13:53] <Quarx> radio part/usb/audio doesn't work
[15:14:09] <kholk> even if I port kexec on Milestone
[15:14:16] <kholk> that basically does the same job 2ndboot is doing
[15:14:28] <kholk> I could get USB and audio to work
[15:14:32] <kholk> but radio will never work
[15:14:48] <Quarx> but kexec is not 2ndboot...
[15:15:18] <kholk> yeah, but radio will never work
[15:15:23] <Quarx> why?
[15:15:34] <kholk> TI Wrigley 3G can't be rebooted
[15:15:42] <kholk> and it will panic when reinitialized from nothing
[15:15:51] <kholk> and instead of rebooting itself, it will reboot the entire device
[15:17:03] <Quarx> that's sad:(
[15:18:35] <kholk> yeah
[15:18:43] <kholk> Milestone and Defy users
[15:18:50] <kholk> will never get nothing more than that
[15:19:24] <kholk> sad enough
[15:19:36] <Quarx> no other ways?
[15:19:50] <kholk> probably not

There's really no other ways for devices with OMAP3xxx? There is no option to get radio work? Do not know much about this, I do not want to criticize but maybe you missed something?
kexec our last hope.. Without this, our phones will never be free and the developers will never be able to take advantage of opportunities that they have.

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
@rob219
If the kernel isn't the same as in the video, it didn't work. Probably there's something to fix for making it to work on the Atrix 2.

@sevenup30 @maarawoe
Nothing like eFuses etc.... There's something going bad with the GIC distributor .. probably and we don't know if it has something to do with the HS nature of the OMAP4430 in our devices or something else.
I can't confirm any sure problem that leads to the CPU1 to not come up, we still don't know for sure what's the source of that issue.
However, we're still working on that and, as soon as we find the problem, we'll surely at least try to solve it ;)

@szacuken
Apart that Quarx wasn't authorized to publish or to give to someone a private conversation with him.
Anyway, unfortunately there's nothing to do with Wrigley 3G and the droid-developers team has already dealt with that, they've been digging a lot, really more than us for the OMAP4430 kexec .. and for years!
I'm sorry for you, Defy and Milestone users.

P.S.: I still own my lovely Milestone 1 :p

Last edited:

szacuken

Jan 6, 2011
Trzebinia
Do not be angry at Quarx :) At the Defy selection he published just this piece of conversation. I think he would give us to understand that kexec will not help. Many people are waiting for some concrete information. This conversation is one of them. I just wanted to make sure about that :)
Anyway, thanks for your reply :)

I also had this phone 6 months ago but 256MB of RAM, DSI errors, locked BL... This phone is dying.

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
@rob219
If the kernel isn't the same as in the video, it didn't work. Probably there's something to fix for making it to work on the Atrix 2.

@sevenup30 @maarawoe
Nothing like eFuses etc.... There's something going bad with the GIC distributor .. probably and we don't know if it has something to do with the HS nature of the OMAP4430 in our devices or something else.
I can't confirm any sure problem that leads to the CPU1 to not come up, we still don't know for sure what's the source of that issue.
However, we're still working on that and, as soon as we find the problem, we'll surely at least try to solve it ;)

@szacuken
Apart that Quarx wasn't authorized to publish or to give to someone a private conversation with him.
Anyway, unfortunately there's nothing to do with Wrigley 3G and the droid-developers team has already dealt with that, they've been digging a lot, really more than us for the OMAP4430 kexec .. and for years!
I'm sorry for you, Defy and Milestone users.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the 1CPU, I'll just hold on till you guys get the both cores running. Hope to see many more kernels and bigger development for the RAZR now. KUTGW

Reactions: walker666

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
Is it possible to change the cpu governor using a script? - I'd like to script that if kholks kernel is loaded, the governor will be automatically changed......

thanks

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
As I am messing around the bypass right now, I found that I am not able to run it anymore on my gsm razr for some reason...
It has been working for me very nice when it was released on the weekend but now it hangs on "Adding init..."
I tried to boot with/without BP Tools but the phone gets always stuck while running the bypassme.sh
The first scenario is that the phone vibrates so it seems that is restarting but it performs a full restart so there is the stock kernel and the second scenario is that it simply gets stuck and after few minutes I need to restart it manually...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the EternityProject's Motorola RAZR Bootloader Bypass Thread!

What do we have today?
    Kexec. After working with a really good developer, [mbm], finally this has become real.
    Linux boots Linux. No signature checks.
    Yeah, this is the beginning of custom kernels :)
    Oh, remember that this is still a WORK IN PROGRESS!

Known issues (to be solved):
    - CPU1 doesn't come up.
    - It fails on (some?) CDMA Droid RAZRs :(

ToDo (by priority):
    1. Fix CDMA Droid RAZR problem
    2. Fix CPU1

Disclaimer:
    The EternityProject and [mbm] aren't responsible of anything you do on your device: if it explodes and kills you, or if it comes to life and becomes something like Terminator, it's YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.
    Plus, prior complaining that it doesn't work, use a STOCK MOTOROLA ROM. Thanks.

Tested on:
    651.167.19.XT910.Retail.en.FR
    651.167.26.XT910.Retail.en.EU
    65.1.40.XT910.MERetail.en.06
    651.73.250.XT910.Brasil.en.BR
    65.1.40.XT910.AsiaRetail.en.03
    65.3.106.XT910S.SKT.en.KR

Installing:
    1. Copy the package on your internal memory / MicroSD
    2. Boot the bootstrap recovery
    3. Install it via that recovery.

Booting with kexec:
    Open a terminal emulator or ADB and enter this:
    Code:
    su
    sh /system/bypassme/bypassme.sh
    Then wait for 10 seconds to jump over the new kernel. Now your device will vibrate and apparently freeze. Wait a minute and you'll be on the new kernel ;)
    You can also set the script above to be automatically executed at boot time or to be a one-tap script with apps like Script Manager.

Video how-to by therazrguy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2j543IOMc

In case of freeze:
    VOLDN+POWER (press for ~10 seconds) will hardshutdown your device. If it freezes during the kexec boot, retry. Sometimes it can happen.

In case of slow-like-hell device:
    Install SetCPU or AnTuTu CPU Master and change your governor from 'mot_hotplug' to 'ondemand'.

Screenshots:

Download:
    EternityProject Website

Source:
    HERE

Note:
    If something is not working, please remove anything that is automatically running at boot, like auto-recovery and the "Set on boot" option of SetCPU or AnTuTu CPU Master.

The EternityProject Team Manager & Main Developer,
    --kholk
    * whistling *

:angel:
    Hashcode got both cores running on the Droid 3 and the CDMA Razr. There's some issues but at least he got both cores running! :D
    stop asking for update dudes, i know you can t wait for kexec and so do i.
    But don t worry when kholk will have something new he will tell.

Remember he is doing This during freetime for free , it s summer now and he work on many devices!

So we all have to wait don t update this thread for ETA, because every time i see it i m like , omagad finally! And no....