Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,216 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Glide freezing up

Tip us?

wLnston
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well I'm going to try turning on the night clock app this night and see if that stops the sleep death.

And I bought the phone second hand off craigslist. Even if its within the 90-day period, I doubt I'll get any warranty/return ability as I am not the original customer.

taiber2000
Old
Thanks Meter 31
interesting problem, will this should hold me back from buying it when my friends will be in the states?

gabby131
Old
(Last edited by gabby131; 17th April 2012 at 01:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiber2000 View Post
interesting problem, will this should hold me back from buying it when my friends will be in the states?
I can't say.....but in my case, the issue is not really that serious in my part. As I said, when I left my device plugged in extended periods of time, then the Sleep Death might trigger....but I never experience any Sleep Deaths while the phone is unplugged and using it throughout the day (on the contrary of the OP's post). In fact, my last sleep death was 10 days previous....it's been reliable and does the job.

dudejb
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
I can't say.....but in my case, the issue is not really that serious in my part. As I said, when I left my device plugged in extended periods of time, then the Sleep Death might trigger....but I never experience any Sleep Deaths while the phone is unplugged and using it throughout the day. In fact, my last sleep death was 10 days previous....it's been reliable and does the job.
I got the sleep death once. It just happened but I have not had it again. I must admit it is scary but I heard you can flash another rom as that is supposed to fix it. I do have the stock rom from Rogers and have not rooted yet.

gabby131
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudejb View Post
I got the sleep death once. It just happened but I have not had it again. I must admit it is scary but I heard you can flash another rom as that is supposed to fix it. I do have the stock rom from Rogers and have not rooted yet.
Well that is a good sign....when did you experience? how? please keep your observations. for me, I can replicate the issue by plugging/charging it....I do also have the stock Rogers ROM and I am rooted......my only tip is, don't leave your Glide charging in extended periods (more than 3-4 hours or so).

taiber2000
Old
Thanks Meter 31
i have a therory about that, as some other user mentaioned when they useed adracat kernel (that is OC) the problem is gone. maybe samsung uses a underclocked tegra2 prossesor and that tha problem.

dudejb
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
Well that is a good sign....when did you experience? how? please keep your observations. for me, I can replicate the issue by plugging/charging it....I do also have the stock Rogers ROM and I am rooted......my only tip is, don't leave your Glide charging in extended periods (more than 3-4 hours or so).
No the charging for extended periods does not matter. Every night I set my phone to charge at around Midnight and unplug it at around 6:30 AM. I also have Wifi on. I heard it was WIFI and charging that did it. Luckily I am not experiencing it. Gabby did you flash and install the Clock Work Mod? I am thinking about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dudejb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gabby131
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudejb View Post
No the charging for extended periods does not matter. Every night I set my phone to charge at around Midnight and unplug it at around 6:30 AM. I also have Wifi on. I heard it was WIFI and charging that did it. Luckily I am not experiencing it. Gabby did you flash and install the Clock Work Mod? I am thinking about it.
this is exactly what I am experiencing....and I can replicate this issue about 8/10 times....well this should hopefully be fixable via FW update (like my SGH-I896 from 2.1 to 2.2).

Yes I have CWMR installed and is very handy....I am now going back to flash OsiMood ROM for I think I already know what triggers the Sleep Death specially in stock ROMs....

wLnston
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Will flashing a new ROM be an issue for me when the OTA ICS update drops?

I read that rooting your phone would be problematic when ICS comes.

If its not an issue, which ROM should I use that will get rid of the Sleep Death issue?

And suppose the ICS fixes the sleepdeath. Will I be able to unroot my phone and revert it back to stock so that I can put ICS on it?

Sorry for the long post!

dudejb
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wLnston View Post
Will flashing a new ROM be an issue for me when the OTA ICS update drops?

I read that rooting your phone would be problematic when ICS comes.

If its not an issue, which ROM should I use that will get rid of the Sleep Death issue?

And suppose the ICS fixes the sleepdeath. Will I be able to unroot my phone and revert it back to stock so that I can put ICS on it?

Sorry for the long post!
Some people have stated that once you install a Rooted Rom you will no longer get pushed the updated from your service provider. They stated this from Gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6

In order to go back to stock you have to somehow back up what you have before you flash anything or find it on the web. I am not sure about this but have heard of others doing this.

Your other option is use a ROM that someone cooks with ICS when it becomes available. I have heard of many people toying with getting this set up.