Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

HTC evo 4g lte storage question o.0

OP PhxkinMassacre

17th April 2012, 03:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lemont
Thanks Meter: 471

1,420 posts
More
Since the evo lte has 16gb internal and also supports SD cards, what gets stored where? I have been trying to figure this out all morning and it's driving me crazy haha. Can you store files on the internal like an sdcard? And if you had an sdcard how would you choose which storage to put stuff on?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
Last edited by PhxkinMassacre; 17th April 2012 at 04:04 PM.
17th April 2012, 04:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 306

350 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxkinMassacre

Since the evo lte has 16gb internal and also supports SD cards, what gets stored where? I have been trying to figure this out all morning and it's driving me crazy haha. Can you store files on the internal like an sdcard? And if you had an sdcard how would you choose which storage to put stuff on?

As the phone has yet to be released, no one can say for sure. It will likely be along the same lines as other HTC devices, though. In a pure stock setup, internal storage is used for system files (partitions & filesystem) and downloaded/installed apps, while external is used for pictures/videos and music, as well as whatever other files you'd put on an SD card.

I really dig the idea of having 16GB internal storage. It would, for all but extreme cases, eliminate the need for a2sd/dalvik2sd and would increase the life of our sd cards (no swap, thrashing, etc.).
17th April 2012, 05:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lemont
Thanks Meter: 471

1,420 posts
More
I know its hard to know since its not out yet but that's what I was thinking also. I just couldn't justify the need for 16gb (minus how ever much is reserved for the system/rom) for apps since I have a 512mb sd-ext that I can't even fill haha. Guess we'll see.

17th April 2012, 05:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 306

350 posts
More
I'm sure we'll be able to bend the phone to our will and figure out some way to utilize the internal storage for whatever we want. It may well be that an SD card is not needed for file storage, as well.
17th April 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #5  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 3,496

6,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Both internal and external SD work like an SD. The internal will have probably 2gb for apps and 14gb for whatever, pics, vids, music, downloads etc. And you can use a file explorer to move stuff between internal and external SD. Pretty sure its not device specific but the way Android itself is designed to use the storage.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
17th April 2012, 10:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Bakersfield
Thanks Meter: 349

1,408 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Both internal and external SD work like an SD. The internal will have probably 2gb for apps and 14gb for whatever, pics, vids, music, downloads etc. And you can use a file explorer to move stuff between internal and external SD. Pretty sure its not device specific but the way Android itself is designed to use the storage.

I will assume this is correct as well as my HTC Rezound has this setup. The Rezound has 2 16GB SD cards (one internal, one removable external) The internal has about 2.5gb for apps and the rest is internal phone storage while the external 16gb is available for anything else.
17th April 2012, 10:32 PM   |  #7  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 3,496

6,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evocm7

I will assume this is correct as well as my HTC Rezound has this setup. The Rezound has 2 16GB SD cards (one internal, one removable external) The internal has about 2.5gb for apps and the rest is internal phone storage while the external 16gb is available for anything else.

That's how every android device I've used with internal storage is set up, they partition off a section for apps and the rest is storage just like an SD card you can even nandroid and flash from the internal and is labeled as SDcard in the file directory while the removable is labeled as external_SD, and it is the same across all manufacturers.

18th April 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #8  
Flag IGH
Thanks Meter: 29

126 posts
Donate to Me
More
Don't forget we get another 25 gig of dropbox storage for auto backups Damn this phone is awesome

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA
18th April 2012, 05:56 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 23

88 posts
More
What's the expected transfer speed for EVO LTE internal mem vs. Class 10 ext?
23rd April 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 126

1,502 posts
More
Cannot wait till mid May for the release of this BEAST, hands down the BEST Evo released! I was thinking about getting the Nexus instead but than it wouldnt be too much of a difference since I am coming off the Epic touch 4G. Besides I miss the built quality of HTC, yes Samsung has beautiful screens and gorgeous cameras, but I think this Evo clears those issues for me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread