5,598,297 Members 47,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TELUS T959D FASCINATE] One Stop Shop (updated June 29 2013)

Tip us?
 
Canadian DJ
Old
#181  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 57
Join Date: Jan 2011
Talking T959D running 4.0.4 ICS

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with ICS on our t959d phones.

I've been running AOKP for a few months with icy glitch and the ol tljl3 modem. I'm very impressed overall as everything works! (In gingerbread I also used the TLKG2 modem)

To install it I used Odin to flash darkys jvh, and then in recovery I formatted everything and cleared all caches, and then transferred Aokp b31 via cwm USB storage. Then I flashed the rom and ended up in a boot loop as I forgot to remove the external SD card. Took the SD out, booted, and good to go.

I ran into a problem once when I wanted to reflash B31, in recovery I formatted everything and then forgot to actually install the rom! The phone went into a boot loop and nothing worked to fix it. No 3 button combo, no battery pull technique, and even the trusty USB jig didn't do it!
4 hours and 2 doobies later I had ADB set up on my Linux box and once I told it that I'm attaching a nexus not a galaxy s, everything went fine. I used adb to get back to recovery and from there I flashed the rom and life was good.
Device: Samsung Galaxy S Telus Fascinate 3G+ (SGH-T959D)
Firmware: Android 4.1.2
Rom: AOKP JB M1

Device: Sony Smartwatch 2 (SW2)
Firmware: 1.0.B.3.46/1.0.A.3.8
Mostly Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian DJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jpmccarthy
Old
#182  
jpmccarthy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshado View Post
I don't have an USB jig and wouldn't be able to get one for a little while. I think the safe approach will be to wait until I get one. (Away from home.)

(Although the colleague is an electronics technician who just might have the correct resistors handy...)

I was thinking of trying Heimdall instead of Odin because I've always had trouble getting (another version of) Odin to work on my computer to flash the Gio.

It also turns out that the phone is a Fascinate 4G (959P) but I don't think this really changes anything significant here. After some more reading it seems that the 959P and 959V have sufficiently different partition layouts that you can't just flash, say, an I9000 ROM with minimal work.

For the build.prop, I'd compare with a stock ROM file, but properties of interest in the CM9 nightly file would be:

ro.product.model
ro.product.name
ro.product.device
ro.build.product
ro.build.description
ro.build.fingerprint

Since build.prop does change from one nightly to another, I'd look into scripting a search and replace function instead of doing it manually. Bundling that with a capacitive keys fix into one update zip would make for a very convenient tool IMHO.

One thing that's surprised me looking at the I9000 nightly (coming from the Nexus S) is that it contains a modem.bin image...
I'll have to take a look at that - be nice to mod the build.prop so the T959D is recognized in the market, etc.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D / Google Nexus 4
Firmware: 4.4.2 / 4.4.2
Rom: CM 11 Nightlies / Mahdi-Rom 2.5 04.13
Kernel: Semaphore 3.4.3s / Hellscore B46 T4 KK
Launcher: Nova Prime / Nova Prime

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101
Firmware: 4.4.2
Rom: KatKiss KitKat #23
Kernel: Stock KatKiss
Launcher: Nova Prime
The Following User Says Thank You to jpmccarthy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jpmccarthy
Old
(Last edited by jpmccarthy; 17th April 2012 at 02:51 PM.)
#183  
jpmccarthy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian DJ View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with ICS on our t959d phones.

I've been running AOKP for a few months with icy glitch and the ol tljl3 modem. I'm very impressed overall as everything works! (In gingerbread I also used the TLKG2 modem)

To install it I used Odin to flash darkys jvh, and then in recovery I formatted everything and cleared all caches, and then transferred Aokp b31 via cwm USB storage. Then I flashed the rom and ended up in a boot loop as I forgot to remove the external SD card. Took the SD out, booted, and good to go.

I ran into a problem once when I wanted to reflash B31, in recovery I formatted everything and then forgot to actually install the rom! The phone went into a boot loop and nothing worked to fix it. No 3 button combo, no battery pull technique, and even the trusty USB jig didn't do it!
4 hours and 2 doobies later I had ADB set up on my Linux box and once I told it that I'm attaching a nexus not a galaxy s, everything went fine. I used adb to get back to recovery and from there I flashed the rom and life was good.
Hey DJ - good to see you again - looks like you had a wacky experience. I've looked at Kang project stuff, but mostly for my TF.

I've noticed yesterday, my battery went to hell - but not sure what happened.

EDIT: I've wiped cache, dalvik, and nstool settings, recharged, and calibrated battery. Will see if that improves things (this morning I went from 100% to 68% in an hour).

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D / Google Nexus 4
Firmware: 4.4.2 / 4.4.2
Rom: CM 11 Nightlies / Mahdi-Rom 2.5 04.13
Kernel: Semaphore 3.4.3s / Hellscore B46 T4 KK
Launcher: Nova Prime / Nova Prime

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101
Firmware: 4.4.2
Rom: KatKiss KitKat #23
Kernel: Stock KatKiss
Launcher: Nova Prime
 
bucknetbucky
Old
#184  
bucknetbucky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 380
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccarthy View Post
Hey DJ - good to see you again - looks like you had a wacky experience. I've looked at Kang project stuff, but mostly for my TF.

I've noticed yesterday, my battery went to hell - but not sure what happened.

EDIT: I've wiped cache, dalvik, and nstool settings, recharged, and calibrated battery. Will see if that improves things (this morning I went from 100% to 68% in an hour).
Look at the gallery that would do it (media server). Disable it and see what happens.

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Phone: Samsung i9000
ROM: Changes Daily
Firmware: See above
Kernel: See above the above
Theme: I hate them
Hate to brag but .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ
 
jpmccarthy
Old
#185  
jpmccarthy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknetbucky View Post
Look at the gallery that would do it (media server). Disable it and see what happens.

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Just did that Buck and downloaded betterbatterystats as well.

Might reflash the ROM - things are still dying. Noticed it yesterday and has gotten progressively worse. Really odd - haven't really screwed with the phone. Swapped my semaphore settings back to default, and governor on conservative.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D / Google Nexus 4
Firmware: 4.4.2 / 4.4.2
Rom: CM 11 Nightlies / Mahdi-Rom 2.5 04.13
Kernel: Semaphore 3.4.3s / Hellscore B46 T4 KK
Launcher: Nova Prime / Nova Prime

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101
Firmware: 4.4.2
Rom: KatKiss KitKat #23
Kernel: Stock KatKiss
Launcher: Nova Prime
 
bucknetbucky
Old
#186  
bucknetbucky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 380
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccarthy View Post
Just did that Buck and downloaded betterbatterystats as well.

Might reflash the ROM - things are still dying. Noticed it yesterday and has gotten progressively worse. Really odd - haven't really screwed with the phone. Swapped my semaphore settings back to default, and governor on conservative.
Make sure bnl is off completely too, that killed me once or twice

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Phone: Samsung i9000
ROM: Changes Daily
Firmware: See above
Kernel: See above the above
Theme: I hate them
Hate to brag but .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ
 
jpmccarthy
Old
#187  
jpmccarthy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknetbucky View Post
Make sure bnl is off completely too, that killed me once or twice

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Do you mean BLN - I hate that and have it shut off. Battery is just sucking out of it, and biggest offender is Android OS - like 59% of the burn. Not sure what is up

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D / Google Nexus 4
Firmware: 4.4.2 / 4.4.2
Rom: CM 11 Nightlies / Mahdi-Rom 2.5 04.13
Kernel: Semaphore 3.4.3s / Hellscore B46 T4 KK
Launcher: Nova Prime / Nova Prime

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101
Firmware: 4.4.2
Rom: KatKiss KitKat #23
Kernel: Stock KatKiss
Launcher: Nova Prime
 
bucknetbucky
Old
#188  
bucknetbucky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 380
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccarthy View Post
Do you mean BLN - I hate that and have it shut off. Battery is just sucking out of it, and biggest offender is Android OS - like 59% of the burn. Not sure what is up
Hmmmmm not sure. I am running extraordinary ics and currently at 66% after more then 2 days of light use. Maybe time for a new battery

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Phone: Samsung i9000
ROM: Changes Daily
Firmware: See above
Kernel: See above the above
Theme: I hate them
Hate to brag but .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ
 
jpmccarthy
Old
#189  
jpmccarthy's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 335
Posts: 1,946
Join Date: Jan 2011
Maybe... Died after 9 hours today. Android OS and exchange being the pigs.

</not an iPad>

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D / Google Nexus 4
Firmware: 4.4.2 / 4.4.2
Rom: CM 11 Nightlies / Mahdi-Rom 2.5 04.13
Kernel: Semaphore 3.4.3s / Hellscore B46 T4 KK
Launcher: Nova Prime / Nova Prime

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF101
Firmware: 4.4.2
Rom: KatKiss KitKat #23
Kernel: Stock KatKiss
Launcher: Nova Prime
 
bucknetbucky
Old
#190  
bucknetbucky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 380
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccarthy View Post
Maybe... Died after 9 hours today. Android OS and exchange being the pigs.

</not an iPad>
Exchange has been an issue its the encryption that causes that. I didn't know you used that. The os a false reading it happens on most pics roms as mine reports the sane

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
Phone: Samsung i9000
ROM: Changes Daily
Firmware: See above
Kernel: See above the above
Theme: I hate them
Hate to brag but .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes