Xoom Video Conversion

Tip us?

stevefxp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Xoom Video Conversion

Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve

al mon
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.
1 - Nook HD+
3 - XOOM Wi-Fi
1 - Kindle Fire
1 - Nexus 4
1 - Transformer Prime - dropped and broken

I've got too many devices..........

willysp
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefxp View Post
Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve
Here is Moto's guidelines on formats and rates supported.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...video-settings

I use MX Player Pro and am happy with it in general. But the Xoom is a little picky/sensitive to hi-rate files. I have a lot of high-rate MOV's that need to be downsized to to not stutter terrribly. Same for very hi-rate AVI's.

Muffycheeks
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

Maybe the avi files are more compressed than what you're converting to. I use Rock Player it will play files that MX Player won't.

bigrushdog
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5799

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by al mon View Post
Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.
+1 here. I use mx pro with MediaHouse to stream from my dlna server. Only problem is the high profile stuff. I have a massive collection of teh prawnz all in wmv and mx plays them nicely

_Duhhh
Old
Thanks Meter 2
+1 for MX. Swipe to ff/rw was enough to get me to try it, the 3 decode options made me keep it. If a video won't play, long press on the file, and you can choose between hw/sw/sw fast decode. So far, I haven't found a video that fails all 3.

budalica
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Default Video Conversion

You want to convert videos use handbrake ( mac or pc ) . It's fast and makes great looking video , or use sb player on the device itself .
Sometimes you have a bad day , sometimes you have a good day . Today is one of them .

-Alaa-
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Try The qq player meanwhile the mx player is Very good
A Little Thanks Wont Hurt Anyone (If I Helped You)

Sent From Motorola Razr Maxx XT910

Phone: Motorola Razr Maxx
Rom: Stock(For now)

Devices Owned: Htc Touch Pro (Sold)
Htc Touch Pro 2 (Sold)
Htc Desire HD (Dying in the Drawer)
Motorola Xoom Wifi 32 gb

airesch
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve
It is quite normal for re-encodes to end up bigger than the original due to it trying to up-scale the video/audio. Like others in the thread, i suggest using MX player for avi's (never had any problems with them,) or using Handbrake to downscale/re-encode/etc 1080i/p videos to something that the Xoom can handle easier. I have had problems with high resolution mkv's (even sometimes 720p) even in MX.