Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 49,476 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4G symbol

Tip us?

SuperSport
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Just as I suspected. They've changed the Registry to show 4G even when it's definately NOT 4G. I am only able to read the Registry, so am still stuck with it, but at least I can confirm they have tried to pull the wool over my eyes as I thought.
Tablet: Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx w Win Blue
Current: Nokia Lumia 1020
MediaFire Share - Mostly Windows Mobile
MEGA Share - Mostly Android
Disclaimer: By using any Files, Packages, Cabs, ROMs, Knowledge, etc, that I share, you are doing so at your own risk. Go Ahead, Live on the Edge!

53 75 70 65 72 53 70 6f 72 74 HEX

go0gle
Old
(Last edited by go0gle; 17th April 2012 at 03:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
How are they getting away with that ? Is that legal ? It must be something to do with Windows Phone, both my symbian Nokias are showing 3.5G symbol for HSPA+, not 4G.

I just looked at this wiki page, I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows the following:

What is the difference between LTE and LTE Advanced ? According to this, even LTE is not 4G, its 3.9G.. and HSPA+ is 3.5G

Oh, here we go.. according to International Mobile Telecommunications this is what you need to market a device as a "4G" .. but I guess no one cares since most iPhones I see are showing 4G and they don't even have the radios for it. I guess this is the "loophole"

"On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT-Advanced#Requirements

SuperSport
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Actually, I have no problem with them labeling HSPA+ as 4G. That's ok with me. But they've marked UMTS as 4G. Now that seems downright dishonest... It's my guess that was done by AT&T, not Nokia/Microsoft, since it directly benefits them...
Disclaimer: By using any Files, Packages, Cabs, ROMs, Knowledge, etc, that I share, you are doing so at your own risk. Go Ahead, Live on the Edge!

emjlr3
Old
Thanks Meter 8
yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area

SuperSport
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3 View Post
yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area
Actually, the LTE symbol is set correctly. It will only show when you are actually connected to LTE. The only one I see set incorrectly is the UMTS. It's set to 4G instead of 3G. Unfortunately, UMTS is what I normally have at home. On rare occasion, I can get HSPA+. But it's just nice to know exactly what connection I have in case I'd like to download a larger file.

Seed 2.0
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
When you upgraded, your provider should have offered the LTE Data Plan upgrade also.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm ALWAYS showing 4G now. I cannot wait to be able to look at the registry, so I can check it. I believe they set normal 3G to show 4G now. I've never gotten HSPA+ here in the house, and now it's ALWAYS on? hmmmm

Still love the phone, but that's a bit misleading...
I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.

SuperSport
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed 2.0 View Post
I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.
That's very possible, but the issue I am having is that they simply changed in the Registry to show UMTS as 4G. That's just dishonest, unless they have some magical way of making UMTS 4G?

I'm sorry I keep going on about this. I'll stop... You won't normally see me complaining about this type of thing on these forums, I'm just a bit frustrated that it's been so blatently thrown in our faces. I still love the phone, and I actually don't mind the AT&T service I recieve, but they should TRY to not be dishonest as much as possible.