Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,038 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UPDATED 8/19: Custom, thin, snap on case

Tip us?

xPSYCHOTRONx
Old
Thanks Meter 5
The clear prototype in the pics looks sweet dude. I would love to have a version with the proper cutouts but without the dock access cutout.
A possible additional stand would be cool too. Either way even with the dock cutout it still be sweet.

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ Tapatalk

jjdevega
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Will the cutout version be able to be applied with the GPS dongle connected?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

Bruuce
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmm112190 View Post
@Bruuce are you planning on putting the carbon fiber sheet inside the resin or as a decal overtop?
The carbon fiber vinyl sheet is adhesive-backed and will go on the outside of the plastic. Don't think of it as a decal, but as a protective skin. It is part of 3M's architectural line of products that are rated to last 5 yrs outside in all-weather and direct sunlight, vertically attached to a wall without fading or losing it's adhesion. Basically, used in my application it'll last forever and is a lot tougher than the plastic (which has better impact strength than the vinyl sheet).

Actually, its such a nice combination that I'm thinking of covering even the clear cases in clear vinyl to get the same durability.

@Andreas527: I like where your head is at. Originally I had planned to make/sell just a carbon fiber skin, but quickly moved to the thin hard case idea for the better protection and ease odd installation and removal. As for your "reversible" cover idea, I tried to put my prototype over the screen and it doesn't fit. To accomplish this feature would mean not following the shuttle curves and would defeat the goal of my design. On the other hand, Theledman's case might be easier to reverse since it is based on the overall dimensions. But really both of or projects were created to protect the back and making it cover the front instead when not in use wouldn't work either. I do plan to make a leather screen cover/ stand, but one step at a time. stay tuned.

Bruuce
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdevega View Post
Will the cutout version be able to be applied with the GPS dongle connected?
That's the hope/plan. Does anyone even have the gps bar yet? If I can get one then I'll make sure it'll fit my case.

rift999
Old
Thanks Meter 19
When I filled out the form after I submitted it I got a "page cannot be found "

(for the gps)

jjdevega
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post
That's the hope/plan. Does anyone even have the gps bar yet? If I can get one then I'll make sure it'll fit my case.
demandarin has one. He has a thread about his findings and photos of the GPS dongle connected to his Prime. Looks to be the same size as the Keyboard dock connection.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1602789
[UPDATE] New High Res Pics added. GPS Dongle Test Findings on its Performance.

I have applied for two GPS dongles rumored it will take 2 weeks from the time of application.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

Cothek
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for all the work on this Bruuce.

What does it look like on the prime? How tight is the fit?

Bruuce
Old
(Last edited by Bruuce; 18th April 2012 at 01:25 AM.) Reason: added video
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdevega View Post
demandarin has one. He has a thread about his findings and photos of the GPS dongle connected to his Prime. Looks to be the same size as the Keyboard dock connection.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1602789
Thanks jjdevega for the link! I had registered a few weeks ago but couldn't apply for the GPS dongle at the time. It's now done and I'll make sure it fits the case. From the pics and specs there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothek View Post
Thanks for all the work on this Bruuce.

What does it look like on the prime? How tight is the fit?
The fit is pretty tight at the moment (which is one of the kinks that will be remedied by building up the mold for the next trial.) How 'bout a video would you like that? I've never added one to a post before, but if I can toss one up from my phone, I'll try right now.

UPDATE: Here's the video, but its raw off my phone.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16077294/VID...417_181945.m4v
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruuce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShelW
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Bruuce
Outstanding!

Keeps the slim profile of the TP, the great spun metal look, but provides protection!

Really excellent job! (one minor suggestion... rather then a large cut-out for the speaker, can you put a series of small holes in the shape of the speaker holes?)

Overall, excellent job!

Is there any chance that installing the plastic on the back could damage the metal, or is the plastic softer material then the back plate?

For my needs, this looks perfect! Throw a decent screen protector on the front (I can't stand all of the finger-prints), put this on the back, and you're good to go!

If there's any way to design a front protective plate which could be removed, and used as a stand, but put back on the front to protect the screen when traveling, that would be a great feature! (My son's iPad uses the Otterbox, and it has a hard plastic cover which, when removed, doubles as a stand. Great feature!)

Any ballpark idea on timing for when these may be available?

patcou
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Me want even more now...