The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity Thread

OP Techie2012

17th April 2012, 06:04 PM   |  #281  
Thanks Meter: 11

170 posts
Alright, so I was very excited about what was going to be my first ever tablet, but now I'm not sure I should be.

Apparently it may just be a product fit for a "milking strategy", with no proper improvements other than the screen, but a nice new price mark-up.

In fact the screen may be too much for the hardware.
17th April 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #282  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,046

6,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommedema

Alright, so I was very excited about what was going to be my first ever tablet, but now I'm not sure I should be.

Apparently it may just be a product fit for a "milking strategy", with no proper improvements other than the screen, but a nice new price mark-up.

In fact the screen may be too much for the hardware.

tegra3 will easily push infinity pad screen. people can't even compare new Ipad screen to this because apple went overkill on the display. therefore IT HAD TO HAVE BEEFIER GPU. the resolution on infinity pad is true 1080P but not as high new Ipad resolution. so a beefier gpu in infinity pad is probably not even needed. tegra3 was already created with higher resolutions in mind. Asus didn't just think of infinity pad just recently. all of this was thought of way back and is why they opted tl use a newer variant of tegra3. testing with tegra3 chip in infinity pad has been ongoing for a long time. If Asus saw issues, they would've swapped chips out and changed its specs. only reason the LTE version is using Qualcomm S4 chip is because it has built in radio for cellular 4g data.

best believe if the Icera 4g radio chip paired with tegra3 was already ready, they would've used that one instead.

plus it will use T33 variant. which is higher clocked. plus its possible they could've upped the clock on gpu also. going from 520Mhz clocked gpu to their more standard 600mhz. we already have gpu overclocking in developement section and people pushing 75Fps on GL Bench Egypt or whatever its called..lol. so still plenty of gains and tweaks left in tegra3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demandarin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 06:16 PM   |  #283  
Flag Baiona
Thanks Meter: 86

234 posts
More
http://youtu.be/h6GtjY5Y53Q

First quick video review today
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheltenham2004 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 06:20 PM   |  #284  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,046

6,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltenham2004

even in the video you hear him say it uses Tegra3 good find
The Following User Says Thank You to demandarin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #285  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 4,259

13,918 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheltenham2004

WiFi bars look promising lol.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium
17th April 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #286  
Thanks Meter: 11

170 posts
Thanks for the video & answers.

Do you think the tegra 3 will still be alright (as in acceptable) for apps in eg. 2 years? I do not plan on buying a new tablet every few months... this is a pretty significant investment for me.
17th April 2012, 06:26 PM   |  #287  
Flag London, UK

13,918 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommedema

Thanks for the video & answers.

Do you think the tegra 3 will still be alright (as in acceptable) for apps in eg. 2 years? I do not plan on buying a new tablet every few months... this is a pretty significant investment for me.

It will be SUFFICIENT. But it will be very soon (if not already - krait s4) overtaken by newer CPUs.

The Following User Says Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 06:27 PM   |  #288  
Flag West Jordan
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
64 Gb vs. 32 GB
I have two questions...

First of all, I was wondering if it is better to spend the extra $100 to get the 64 GB Infinity over the 32 GB Infinity when a good 32 GB microSDHC card can be bought online for about $30 to $40.

I'm not looking to get the maximum storage possible (which would mean getting the 64 GB Infinity and adding more storage via microSDHC). I am just trying to base my decision on performance, reliability, and cost for that jump from 32 GB to 64 GB.

1. Is the internal storage faster than external storage via microSDHC? (Has anyone ran any benchmarks on TF201 or TF101 to compare the internal storage with some of the faster microSDHC cards available?)

2. Is the internal storage more reliable than microSDHC? (Though I have not had problems, I've read a lot of reviews on newegg and amazon about storage cards dying or even arriving DOA. So I wonder if internal storage is generally more reliable.)

Knowing these two things would help determine if the higher cost for the 64 GB Infinity is worth it, or if simply buying the less expensive 32 GB Infinity and adding a microSDHC card is the way to go.

And for my second question... Does anyone know why the 1 and 6 keys on the keyboard dock are highlighted? Not knowing why has really been bugging me!

Thanks in advance for your responses.
17th April 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #289  
Thanks Meter: 301

3,200 posts
Well, I guess myself and Anandtech might have to eat some crow. I did say might.

That looks like an old video and not new. Looks like a show demo I saw some time ago.
Last edited by rushless; 17th April 2012 at 06:32 PM.
17th April 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #290  
Flag London, UK

13,918 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregFromUtah

I have two questions...

First of all, I was wondering if it is better to spend the extra $100 to get the 64 GB Infinity over the 32 GB Infinity when a good 32 GB microSDHC card can be bought online for about $30 to $40.

I'm not looking to get the maximum storage possible (which would mean getting the 64 GB Infinity and adding more storage via microSDHC). I am just trying to base my decision on performance, reliability, and cost for that jump from 32 GB to 64 GB.

1. Is the internal storage faster than external storage via microSDHC? (Has anyone ran any benchmarks on TF201 or TF101 to compare the internal storage with some of the faster microSDHC cards available?)

2. Is the internal storage more reliable than microSDHC? (Though I have not had problems, I've read a lot of reviews on newegg and amazon about storage cards dying or even arriving DOA. So I wonder if internal storage is generally more reliable.)
Knowing these two things would help determine if the higher cost for the 64 GB Infinity is worth it, or if simply buying the less expensive 32 GB Infinity and adding a microSDHC card is the way to go.

And for my second question... Does anyone know why the 1 and 6 keys on the keyboard dock are highlighted? Not knowing why has really been bugging me!

Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. Faster. Not much faster though for some reason. I saw write speed average about 15mbps.
2.Regarding reliability... Well, probably similar, but whole units go through a qc to test its working, so when they send it out its been tested. With sd its unlikely they test each card, more likely one out of whatever number. Hence, bigger chance if receiving a dud.
3. No idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercover For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread