OP Overloaded

18th November 2011, 12:43 PM   |  #81  
Thanks Meter: 110

94 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded

I've got some connections with a company were i can make stickers or engrave stuff. But i also have a large workplace at school were i can make almost everything

And...! Even better idea!

I'm going to try something!

I will try to remake the plastic parts on the back of the phone. I'm going to make them digital in solidworks. Then i will engrave moulds out of aluminum and fill them with liquid plastic. So i can make my own plastic parts in pretty much every color i want!

If this is going to be a succes i will put them online for sale for a very nice price I'm thinking about a modding service for phones

The school I am on is really ****ty in that, we have almost nothing here, but indeed modding is cool to do and if you can earn money with it would be great!
Last edited by DonUber; 18th November 2011 at 02:51 PM.
16th April 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #82  
Flag Gold Coast
Thanks Meter: 12

214 posts
More
Surprisingly, doesn't look half bad! Good photo tutorial. I'm only keen to chrome the camera lens metal rim...not so keen on taking apart and voiding my warranty though. I may try to use a sandpaper, our perhaps some paint stripper on the tip of a tooth pick. Although the process sounds a little painstaking and dangerous.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote:

I'm going to take it a step further.

I think polishing the device would look epic in combination with this image burned in the phone using a laser cutter

What do you guys think??

--this looks cool...personally id keep the back in black, with the laser etching, and the metal rim of the camera lens in chrome to match the original htc logo. that'd be sweet.
17th April 2012, 07:10 PM   |  #83  
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
Quote:

I'm going to try something!

I will try to remake the plastic parts on the back of the phone. I'm going to make them digital in solidworks. Then i will engrave moulds out of aluminum and fill them with liquid plastic. So i can make my own plastic parts in pretty much every color i want!

If this is going to be a succes i will put them online for sale for a very nice price I'm thinking about a modding service for phones

So were you successfully? Im realy interested in your idea and your finished products. Also were do you life (country)? Because if you start to sell custom stuff would you sell them to different continents?

Thanks.

Sent from my Desire HD
17th April 2012, 07:33 PM   |  #84  
Thanks Meter: 20

53 posts
wow, It actually looks great. I bet you are good with sandpapers
This definitely is not exactly for faint hearted though (a little bit wrong and then more sanding off to do)
18th April 2012, 12:58 AM   |  #85  
Flag International Waters
Thanks Meter: 42

358 posts
More
what tools did you use

an this is a great link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfato...eature=related
18th April 2012, 10:14 AM   |  #86  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
It's very nice tut. But I couldn't do this, i don't want to broke my fone
18th April 2012, 12:15 PM   |  #87  
Thanks Meter: 774

2,297 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaiLiix

So were you successfully? Im realy interested in your idea and your finished products. Also were do you life (country)? Because if you start to sell custom stuff would you sell them to different continents?

Thanks.

Sent from my Desire HD

I wouldn't get too excited about him making custom covers. They all have integrated antennas. Not impossible, just more involved than making the cover.

Better suggestion, paint them. Buy a new set, sand them with a very fine grit paper, and spray them. They have great spray paint in a myriad of colors that adheres well to plastics now. Just spray very thin coats and allow to dry between. You could even lightly sand between coats with a very very fine paper for a perfect finish. Just be sure to tape off the underside of the covers to avoid painting the antenna contacts on all three covers. And try to avoid the grooves inside the bottom cover where it slides on, and around the tabs that hold the battery and flash covers on. Too much paint in the areas that engage or fit tight against the phone might prevent them from fitting properly.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA
18th April 2012, 09:28 PM   |  #88  
Thanks Meter: 23

149 posts
More
Btw the screwdriver for the 5 screws is a Torx #5 if i recall correctly
I had to take mine apart to fix power button :P
Do you have any idea if the covers śre suitable for painting? If so Im gonna make it chrome/red all the way. Even the camera lens

Did you use a electric sander or just sandpaper? Anyways awesome job!!!!

Sensed(4) from my DHD
18th April 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #89  
Thanks Meter: 774

2,297 posts
You can sand it down by hand using very fine grit paper for metal. You could then use a cutting compound with a polishing wheel to further polish the metal. I would recommend spraying the bare metal with a clear coat to protect it from staining or marring the bare metal.
Yes you can paint the covers, read my prior post.

In the previous post you stated "even the camera lens", don't paint the camera lens. Camera won't work then. Camera bezel ring is ok to paint, just not the lens! If you paint the speaker grilles be careful to not obscure the holes in them. Very, very light coats on them. Always let paint dry between coats, or the bottom coats will NEVER dry.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA
Last edited by c5satellite2; 18th April 2012 at 10:09 PM.
18th April 2012, 10:22 PM   |  #90  
Thanks Meter: 23

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5satellite2

In the previous post you stated "even the camera lens", don't paint the camera lens. Camera won't work then. Camera bezel ring is ok to paint, just not the lens!

Yeah that could easily have been misunderstood
I was ofcourse talking about the bezel, i just got all excited about my new project

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread