Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,728 Members 43,985 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012)

Tip us?

wingzero2085
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Just seeing all of these random "should I update to ICS" posts from new TF owners got me thinking...

Am I the only one wondering why Asus is still pushing this update to devices? It seems to me with issues as severe as some people are experiencing, that this is the sort of update that needs to be pulled while the problems are ironed out, since users can't refuse the update forever. Even Google chose to pull back the 4.0.4 OTA for the GSM Galaxy Nexus while they investigate issues with the radio (but the images are still available for download and manual flashing if people want them).

If a fix is not coming in the very, very near future, I personally think Asus should pull the ICS OTA for the TF101 until they've fixed it. I think this in part because it might create a really awful first-time user experience with the device, especially if it receives the OTA shortly after the new user turns it on. This is just my opinion, though -- maybe others disagree. If I were a new TF101 owner, I would be wanting to wait on the 4.0 update after reading all of this stuff, that's for sure!

I really hope we see Gary update his post soon ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingzero2085 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Starlust
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I read a post over on transformerforums that claims that Asus' phone support is still telling people to "do a factory reset" so it seems they aren't planning on pulling or forestalling the ICS upgrade anytime soon. "Factory reset" hasn't done squat for my device, and I'm not going to keep doing it like some hoping it will magically make it improve. My mother's device WAS fresh from the factory and ICS made it every bit as unstable as mine. I wouldn't have upgraded hers but Asus gave me absolutely no choice.

nookin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the comments. I decided to stay with 3.2.1 for a while. But this update firmware notification is keep nagging me. Sooner or later I will allow it by accident. Is there a way to turn it off?

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookin View Post
Thanks for the comments. I decided to stay with 3.2.1 for a while. But this update firmware notification is keep nagging me. Sooner or later I will allow it by accident. Is there a way to turn it off?
Are you rooted? If not rooted, I don't believe there is any way to stop it other than just to keep ignoring it...

This is one area where I had hoped Android to be better - not forcing me upgrade something!!! That's so Apple-like!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

sbiriguda
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero2085 View Post
Am I the only one wondering why Asus is still pushing this update to devices?
Incompetence or plain negligence - whatever it is, they're treading on a slippery road wrt liability if they don't pull the update even though they know that it's defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero2085 View Post
I really hope we see Gary update his post soon ...
It's been two weeks since Gary posted an update and many, many more since Asus pushed the supposedly fixed build of ICS.

This is really aggravating.

jtrosky
Old
(Last edited by jtrosky; 17th April 2012 at 07:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 961
You know, I have to agree with the above poster. At the very least, leave the ICS update there for those that don't need stability (or didn't have the problem), and let let other users downgrade to Honeycomb in order to obtain stability.

It's as simple as that - problem solved. Instead, we go for weeks at a time with no news whatoever.... It's getting old, real fast....

I wonder if the new Transformer Pad 300 had these issue with ICS??

wingzero2085
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
At the very least, leave the ICS update there for those that don't need stability (or didn't have the problem), and let let other users downgrade to Honeycomb in order to obtain stability.
This is exactly what I think they ought to do. A stable downgrade path would be nice for sure, but its definitely not something I'd be holding my breath for (I would think any downgrade path would require a factory reset -- something users would definitely need to be warned about). My TF101 is OK enough to use for now as long as I'm relatively patient when it acts up, but of course, my patience is directly dependent on how long I have to deal with the issues. The longer this goes on (we're nearing a month, aren't we -- since the first ICS update?), the less patience I have, and the more likely I am to move away from Asus tablets in the future.

Come on Asus... some (any) news would be nice, folks!

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 568
We're nearing a month since Asus admitted it couldn't even find the problem without third party help, let alone fix it.

We're approaching 8 WEEKS since ICS shipped for the TF101 and made our tablets hopelessly unstable, and and it's been five weeks today since Asus shipped the only patch they've yet offered for ICS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1041502

(And given that Asus initially told us ICS would ship before the end of 2011, it's looking unlikely that we'll have a stable ICS build within four months of when we originally expected to have one.)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to knoxploration For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

just lou
Old
Thanks Meter 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiriguda View Post
Incompetence or plain negligence - whatever it is, they're treading on a slippery road wrt liability if they don't pull the update even though they know that it's defective.

It's been two weeks since Gary posted an update and many, many more since Asus pushed the supposedly fixed build of ICS.

This is really aggravating.
Aggravating yes, but April 9th was a week ago, not 2 weeks ago.

sbiriguda
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by just lou View Post
Aggravating yes, but April 9th was a week ago, not 2 weeks ago.
My bad, I was so angry that I skipped over most of the date and interpreted the first field as a day number (we use dd/mm/yyyy)

The Following User Says Thank You to sbiriguda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
tf101, transformer