Verizon force removing grandfathered "Unlimited Data"

OP Thalinor

17th April 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 131

140 posts
More
I should have posted this two months ago when I found out, but got lazy. The now $30 fee reminded me and I decided I should pass the info along. I had a conversation with:

Handsets, Product Distribution, Business
Brenda Raney
908-559-7518
Brenda.Raney@VerizonWireless.com

This conversation was about the NFC blocking but I baited her with a comment and she responded by saying something along the lines of "Unlimited Data would no longer be an option on "Advanced" handsets released later this year (2012). When you upgrade to one of these new "Advanced" (IE Smartphone) you will have to give up your unlimited data plan and pick a paid package."

She would not tell me when it would happen, but said that Verizon was not under any obligation to continue to grandfather people with unlimited data. I fully expect this to happen as soon as Quad Core phones hit the market.

Just one more drop in the bucket. Removing unlimited data packages for new subscribers, removing early upgrades, every two discounts, blocking Google from releasing direct updates for developer devices like the Galaxy Nexus, and now the $30 upgrade fee.

No, I did not record the phone conversation but the removal of grandfathered unlimited data will happen, and sooner then later. Feel free to chalk it up to a rumor if you don't believe me but when it happens, don't say I didn't warn you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thalinor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 05:30 AM   |  #2  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 54

555 posts
More
New Verizon devices use Sim cards, welcome to the world of buying off contract devices.
17th April 2012, 01:26 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks Meter: 581

4,070 posts
Donate to Me
More
I wonder if this will let you break contract.
17th April 2012, 03:01 PM   |  #4  
Flag Shaw, MS
Thanks Meter: 75

324 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Marino

I wonder if this will let you break contract.

Sounds like it would to me
17th April 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 37

791 posts
More
It seems like something they would do. I think I know there "plan" to get every one off unlimited data.

I have herd some things, but not like this. I think this is about spot on.

Now I will hold on to both of my unlimited data for dear life.

Edit: yes they do throttle 4G and will be doing more and more intill the next iphone and then will pull an AT&T X2. They will likely force you out of unlimited when you upgrade or if you you are on a "old" 4G phone they will throttle you on 4GLTE. I know, becuase I was throttled on 4G and then I stoped using the phone for 3 days, now I am unthrottled and sit at 90+hours of uptime with 2GB of use.

Link to some one who got throttled on 4G:http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Ve...ds-too_id22818

Now he did use a crap load of data and I think he got what was coming, but I know when the new iphone with LTE comes out, WE ARE DOOMED. I have a 2nd line with unlimited data on AT&T, thats my back up plan. If not oh well.
Last edited by 4ktvs; 17th April 2012 at 11:20 PM.
17th April 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333

1,306 posts
More
Once again Verizon showing how little they care about their customers. From a legal standpoint they could probably do this because when you get a new phone you are under a new contract. But what if you buy the phone from ebay, etc and just add it to your plan. You are still technically under the same contract but they could track ESNs and force your plan to switch.
17th April 2012, 07:10 PM   |  #7  
Lomita,CA
Thanks Meter: 140

751 posts
More
I hope they don't do this. I just left att after months of looking to take over someones Verizon contract. I found a person with 2 unlimited lines hopefully its not short lived. I really don't want to go to sprint

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
17th April 2012, 07:59 PM   |  #8  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 2,644

8,933 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark lord me

New Verizon devices use Sim cards, welcome to the world of buying off contract devices.

Verizon is CDMA only. The SIM cards are used for LTE, not GSM (a few phones have SIM slots for international GSM, but they're useless while on the Verizon network). So no, there is no buying of unlocked phones from Verizon.

Speaking of this, in China and other Asian countries, CDMA devices have SIM cards called R-UIM cards that work exactly the same way as GSM SIM cards, but CDMA carriers here in the US want to be able to stranglehold you in terms of what kinds of phone you use.
17th April 2012, 08:43 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
Hopefully Sprint still has unlimited data and their act together when my current contract is up in two years. Verizon charges an arm and a leg for their services and it's not enough? They have to nickel and dime us every step of the way. Aside from decent service I can't say that I feel like I get a whole lot for my money with Verizon. I've just had enough bad experiences with AT&T, and Sprint that I've been afraid to go back to either of them. Maybe it's not so bad these days?
17th April 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 37

791 posts
More
I hope so too, becuase I need a 3rd back up plan and for every one elses sake.

My experience with AT&T has been very good, but I don't think that would be true if I was locked in for 2 years. Sprint has really come up in the last year or so and they seem like they are upgrading fast. (NV and LTE)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread