Flag Miami, Florida
Thanks Meter: 309

1,166 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessaem

Definitions from urbandictionary.com:

Troll:

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

or

A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

So someone that asks for an ETA is automatically a troll because you guys find it provocative? Tecnically, the trolls are the ones that turn a simple questions into something its not by giving a provocative answer?
17th April 2012, 06:52 PM   |  #1442  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,490

3,457 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdesr11

So someone that asks for an ETA is automatically a troll because you guys find it provocative? Tecnically, the trolls are the ones that turn a simple questions into something its not by giving a provocative answer?

Imagine 30 different PMs asking you when your update will be done... its annoying... then on top of those the thread you created has multiple users asking also that haven't pmd you yet but they sure are thinking about doing it because they're too impatient and what everything fixed NAO! Doesn't work that way. Patience is a virtue.

Here's another point. Would you rather me as a developer push out an untested update that could mess everything up? Or would you rather have a quality tested build and or app that's been checked through?

Asking for ETAs on XDA has always been frowned upon. Always will be.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
17th April 2012, 06:53 PM   |  #1443  
Flag Minnesota

3,457 posts
Donate to Me
More
See I'm getting heated just chatting about it

17th April 2012, 06:59 PM   |  #1444  
Forum Moderator
Greensboro
Thanks Meter: 4,176

3,236 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCrystal

See I'm getting heated just chatting about it

Can I get an ETA on you cooling down?
The Following User Says Thank You to diestarbucks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 07:02 PM   |  #1445  
Flag Miami, Florida
Thanks Meter: 309

1,166 posts
More
You know what works more than flaming them when they ask, ignoring them. Let them ask all they want, just ignore it and you see how it stops.

People are like little kids. When they are being annoying as hell, and you ignore them, they will stop being annoying. If you give them attention by telling them to stop and not to do it, they will continue to do it.

It's all Psychology dude. Try it.
17th April 2012, 07:59 PM   |  #1446  
Flag Minnesota

3,457 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You know what works more than flaming them when they ask, ignoring them. Let them ask all they want, just ignore it and you see how it stops.

People are like little kids. When they are being annoying as hell, and you ignore them, they will stop being annoying. If you give them attention by telling them to stop and not to do it, they will continue to do it.

Ahh but see my sadistic side takes over and wants to... that MattCrystal doesn't ignore much.

17th April 2012, 09:10 PM   |  #1447  
Recognized Developer / Contributor / Themer / Retired Moderator
Flag Twin Cities, MN
Thanks Meter: 16,445

16,696 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The point is that adults shouldn't act like children. Especially on a tech forum, if you're not tech savvy enough to do it yourself or at least learn how, shut the **** up, period.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to il Duce For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 09:11 PM   |  #1448  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 9,913

11,276 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Agreed but some people don't understand that psychology unless you tell them straight out to knock it off. Even though, sometimes even that doesn't work.
Asking for ETAs from developers is as rude as getting ripped a new one for asking.

I'm with you with the ignoring method though.
Last edited by vanessaem; 17th April 2012 at 09:13 PM.
17th April 2012, 09:48 PM   |  #1449  
Senior Moderator / Developer Committee / XDA Portal Team / Recognized Themer / Teh Pony Overlord
Flag A place just beyond throwing distance
Thanks Meter: 6,174

5,524 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

What works the best is teaching someone the way things should be done. Just like with children. You don't ignore an undesirable behavior with a child, you try to correct it, by explaining why they shouldn't do that behavior.

I don't flame people for asking for ETA's, i explain that they shouldn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to pstevep For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 09:57 PM   |  #1450  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 9,913

11,276 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstevep

What works the best is teaching someone the way things should be done. Just like with children. You don't ignore an undesirable behavior with a child, you try to correct it, by explaining why they shouldn't do that behavior.

I don't flame people for asking for ETA's, i explain that they shouldn't.

Sometimes you gently explain why it's wrong to ask for ETAs and then they're like, "But I demand one NAO!!!" or the developer gives them one(which they shouldn't do) and if it's not done by that time, all hell breaks loose.

A bunch of trolls with pitchforks and torches, march angrily to the door of the developer and demand....

Wait a minute, I think I'm confusing this with the movie, Frankenstein.

Same idea though.

The Following User Says Thank You to vanessaem For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread