ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

4G symbol

OP slojko

17th April 2012, 03:28 AM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 462

2,979 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just as I suspected. They've changed the Registry to show 4G even when it's definately NOT 4G. I am only able to read the Registry, so am still stuck with it, but at least I can confirm they have tried to pull the wool over my eyes as I thought.
17th April 2012, 04:24 AM   |  #12  
Flag Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks Meter: 14

115 posts
More
How are they getting away with that ? Is that legal ? It must be something to do with Windows Phone, both my symbian Nokias are showing 3.5G symbol for HSPA+, not 4G.

I just looked at this wiki page, I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows the following:

What is the difference between LTE and LTE Advanced ? According to this, even LTE is not 4G, its 3.9G.. and HSPA+ is 3.5G

Oh, here we go.. according to International Mobile Telecommunications this is what you need to market a device as a "4G" .. but I guess no one cares since most iPhones I see are showing 4G and they don't even have the radios for it. I guess this is the "loophole"

"On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT-Advanced#Requirements
Last edited by go0gle; 17th April 2012 at 04:44 AM.
17th April 2012, 05:10 AM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California

2,979 posts
Donate to Me
More
Actually, I have no problem with them labeling HSPA+ as 4G. That's ok with me. But they've marked UMTS as 4G. Now that seems downright dishonest... It's my guess that was done by AT&T, not Nokia/Microsoft, since it directly benefits them...
17th April 2012, 01:53 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 8

68 posts
yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area
17th April 2012, 07:17 PM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California

2,979 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3

yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area

Actually, the LTE symbol is set correctly. It will only show when you are actually connected to LTE. The only one I see set incorrectly is the UMTS. It's set to 4G instead of 3G. Unfortunately, UMTS is what I normally have at home. On rare occasion, I can get HSPA+. But it's just nice to know exactly what connection I have in case I'd like to download a larger file.
17th April 2012, 09:20 PM   |  #16  
Flag OH-IO
Thanks Meter: 18

282 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport

When you upgraded, your provider should have offered the LTE Data Plan upgrade also.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm ALWAYS showing 4G now. I cannot wait to be able to look at the registry, so I can check it. I believe they set normal 3G to show 4G now. I've never gotten HSPA+ here in the house, and now it's ALWAYS on? hmmmm

Still love the phone, but that's a bit misleading...

I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.
17th April 2012, 09:56 PM   |  #17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Northern California

2,979 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seed 2.0

I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.

That's very possible, but the issue I am having is that they simply changed in the Registry to show UMTS as 4G. That's just dishonest, unless they have some magical way of making UMTS 4G?

I'm sorry I keep going on about this. I'll stop... You won't normally see me complaining about this type of thing on these forums, I'm just a bit frustrated that it's been so blatently thrown in our faces. I still love the phone, and I actually don't mind the AT&T service I recieve, but they should TRY to not be dishonest as much as possible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread