Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 45,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official ASUS Thread - Serial Number Not Found

Tip us?

fcortes626
Old
Thanks Meter 205

DONATE TO ME
i was registering my device yesterday and it wouldnt recognize my serial number. i also noticed the serial number on my device and on the system settings didnt match with the one on the box. so when i tried to register it to get the gps dongle it wouldnt recognize my serial so i tried to contact asus thru the live chat option bt no one would connect to me. so i just left it there and when i tried to register it today it was already registered. asus must have done it automatically. anyone else have the issue with the serial numbers not matching up?

axepted
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortes626 View Post
i was registering my device yesterday and it wouldnt recognize my serial number. i also noticed the serial number on my device and on the system settings didnt match with the one on the box. so when i tried to register it to get the gps dongle it wouldnt recognize my serial so i tried to contact asus thru the live chat option bt no one would connect to me. so i just left it there and when i tried to register it today it was already registered. asus must have done it automatically. anyone else have the issue with the serial numbers not matching up?
Itried to register my device now, and I got a invalid serialnumber.. Dont have my box so cant say if the one there is the same or not in settings...
Phone: LG Optimus 4x HD - Rooted and Unlocked
ROM: SlimBean - Build 2.1 - 4.3.1

Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime (BRICKED/DEAD)
ROM: Stock JB

slayvus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I just sent this to ASUS over my Unknown Serial problem.

---------- Original Message ----------
A Factory Data Reset did not fix the problem. I however, refuse to send my tablet back to a service center to get it fixed. I have ALREADY had to send it in twice. The first time I got a new Transformer Prime to replace the first one. I received said NEW IN-BOX Transformer Prime with a NON-FUNCTIONING LCD Screen. Both of these RMAs took over ONE MONTH COMBINED to complete, not including shipping time only time at the Service Center. Again, the Service Center had my Transformer Prime for over ONE MONTH COMBINED from TWO different RMAs.

Therefore, I say again, I refuse to use such awful RMA services. Fyi, the 2nd RMA was apparently supposed to be prioritized to the highest level, but it took them the SAME amount of time to fix it as my 1st NON-prioritized RMA.

Regards,
XXXXXXX

Reverent01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=pslotter;22874754]This is the first I heard of this!

Sorry ,i have this problem ,too
1.root
2.ratchet fix
3.unlook tool
4. Does Not function

JohnDaddyo
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Ditto. Unlock tool fails. Are we too late in trying to get this resolved?
I thought there were many with the unlock tool problem? I have a serial
number but, evidently it does not matter.

GernBlanston
Old
(Last edited by GernBlanston; 12th May 2012 at 10:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 66
I recently RMA'd mine for this problem...it was received 5/4 by Asus, and as of late last night had a tracking number for the ship back. I'll report here my experience when I get it back, but I dare say there may be hope for a reasonable turnaround for this issue.

If you do RMA, just be sure to photograph and document the tablet before packing and shipping..I used the mailing label they emailed me as a backdrop for all the photos I took of my undamaged, working (except for this issue and BT/Wifi fallout) Prime.

Edit: Prime is back, everything is working well, OTA works...I was able to downgrade from .21 to .15, apply root, save root in rootkeeper, and upgrade back to .21 with root maintained.

I'm very happy right now...

djwascom33
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default My serial is not showing up

I have PM Gary and I have emailed ASUS . I also cant get the Unlock Device Tool to work or get OTA updates with wifi. Can Someone Please Help me with this issue, Thanks
ASUS Tansformer Prime: ICS 4.0.3 OC 1.8
Samsung Galaxy Note i717 - ICS 4.0.3
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket ICS 4.0.3
Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 ICS (Unlocked)

JohnDaddyo
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I thought I was the only one not able to use the un locker tool
Been asking for months.

No one knows

Supersaiyan.IV
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Well it's been quite a voyage..

Got my TF201 returned from RMA yesterday, it works fabulous - let's work it with Unlock Tool.
Gives me unknown error. What could that mean? After some lurking I find my s/n is "unknown". What's that? Maybe it can't authenticate with the Asus servers? After more investigation I find various s/n unknown threads and stumble upon the Ratchet fix for this. Sure I thought.

But Ratchet required root, so first a downgrade (I used 9.4.2.15). Then hard wipe to clean the new firmware from previous garbage data.
Next use mempodroid to gain temporary root access and apply the s/n fix according to the guide.

Allright, serial number pops up in settings.
Let's try OTA and Unlock Tool to confirm success - none work.
Unlock Tool still displays "Unknown error. This may be a network connection issue. please wait and try again later.".

That seems like a short story. Well for documentation here's the howto to what was done:
  • Settings - Applications - Manage - All - DMClient - Force Close/Clear Data/Clear Cache and then reboot. Next, go to Settings - About - Check for update.
  • Soft factory reset - factory reset from within android settings.
  • Hard reset - When device is off perform the following: "vol down+power button" -> "vol down button" -> "choose wipe by toggling with vol down button" -> "confirm by pressing vol up button twice"
  • Manual downgrade - Use Method 2. Downgrades regardless of previous SKU (WW/US/TB etc.) and previous firmware version. Perform a hard reset to cleanup after flash. Enable "USB debugging" under "Developer options" in settings and get familiar with ADB to do this.
  • Fix serial number with Ratchet - Chronologically I used the s/n restore guide here. Since the the TF201 is downgraded, the temporary root exploit described in the guide will work.
  • root - (Optional) - It was attempted simply because it was possible at this stage, although futile if the next step is performed, even with OTA Rootkeeper.
    (Choose (1) or (2))
  • (1)Manual update - make sure SKU of new firmware matches currently possessed SKU. Any root access after performing this step is gone.
  • (2)Manual update and keep root without s/n - (Experimental) - Apparently some people have attempted to manually write the incremental OTA Updates to /cache/ partition and force update - thereby keeping root. However, even by reading the posts I cannot grasp how, and it was a heart-attack inducing experience. Not recommended.

I have tried the above with "US_epad-user-9.4.2.15" and "WW_epad-user-9.4.2.11" downgrades, upon which I upgraded them to their corresponding SKU (important).
Beginning the attempts with "WW_epad-user-9.4.2.21" I now rest on "US_epad-user-9.4.2.15".

Maybe this will work for somebody, it did not for me, but I am far from being bricked and await another RMA to resolve the issue. I am incredibly happy with Asus' support and what they do for the community. A sincere thank you to Gary Key who kindly forwarded me to some very knowledgeable people.

Hope this is of use to somebody!

flipz0r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersaiyan.IV View Post
Well it's been quite a voyage..

Got my TF201 returned from RMA yesterday, it works fabulous - let's work it with Unlock Tool.
Gives me unknown error. What could that mean? After some lurking I find my s/n is "unknown". What's that? Maybe it can't authenticate with the Asus servers? After more investigation I find various s/n unknown threads and stumble upon the Ratchet fix for this. Sure I thought.

But Ratchet required root, so first a downgrade (I used 9.4.2.15). Then hard wipe to clean the new firmware from previous garbage data.
Next use mempodroid to gain temporary root access and apply the s/n fix according to the guide.

Allright, serial number pops up in settings.
Let's try OTA and Unlock Tool to confirm success - none work.
Unlock Tool still displays "Unknown error. This may be a network connection issue. please wait and try again later.".

That seems like a short story. Well for documentation here's the howto to what was done:
  • Settings - Applications - Manage - All - DMClient - Force Close/Clear Data/Clear Cache and then reboot. Next, go to Settings - About - Check for update.
  • Soft factory reset - factory reset from within android settings.
  • Hard reset - When device is off perform the following: "vol down+power button" -> "vol down button" -> "choose wipe by toggling with vol down button" -> "confirm by pressing vol up button twice"
  • Manual downgrade - Use Method 2. Downgrades regardless of previous SKU (WW/US/TB etc.) and previous firmware version. Perform a hard reset to cleanup after flash. Enable "USB debugging" under "Developer options" in settings and get familiar with ADB to do this.
  • Fix serial number with Ratchet - Chronologically I used the s/n restore guide here. Since the the TF201 is downgraded, the temporary root exploit described in the guide will work.
  • root - (Optional) - It was attempted simply because it was possible at this stage, although futile if the next step is performed, even with OTA Rootkeeper.
    (Choose (1) or (2))
  • (1)Manual update - make sure SKU of new firmware matches currently possessed SKU. Any root access after performing this step is gone.
  • (2)Manual update and keep root without s/n - (Experimental) - Apparently some people have attempted to manually write the incremental OTA Updates to /cache/ partition and force update - thereby keeping root. However, even by reading the posts I cannot grasp how, and it was a heart-attack inducing experience. Not recommended.

I have tried the above with "US_epad-user-9.4.2.15" and "WW_epad-user-9.4.2.11" downgrades, upon which I upgraded them to their corresponding SKU (important).
Beginning the attempts with "WW_epad-user-9.4.2.21" I now rest on "US_epad-user-9.4.2.15".

Maybe this will work for somebody, it did not for me, but I am far from being bricked and await another RMA to resolve the issue. I am incredibly happy with Asus' support and what they do for the community. A sincere thank you to Gary Key who kindly forwarded me to some very knowledgeable people.

Hope this is of use to somebody!
Yeah I have done the exact same thing and I also got exactly the same problem as you. My prime has been RMAd twice and it still does not work. I don´t think asus has handled this very smooth. Im still looking for a solution.