5,600,919 Members 42,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sleep of Death (SOD)

Tip us?

Sendrey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'll tell you about my investigation SOD problems. I have the HTC HD2 with SD Android 2.3.7. Periodically, I have SOD. Sometimes this happens several times a day, sometimes a good week without a single SOD.
After extensive searching, I identified three main possible causes: proximity sensor, radio firmware, SD card.

Two weeks ago I had SOD began to happen very often, I have flashed radio from 2.11.50.20 to 2.15.50.14 and formatted SD card. Nearly two weeks after this was not a single SOD. Yesterday, however, SOD started again. No new software during this time are installing and system settings is not changed.

I guess is the SD card version. Ordered a new A-data 16Gb class6 (now Transcend 8Gb class6), a couple of weeks after the replacement card will write a report.

Farmer Ted
Old
Thanks Meter 88
If your sd card is corrupted, you can definitely have device issues. Scan it, and see if there are errors on it. I've had corrupted usb-drives crash a PC before.
ROM: Retro ROM
Radio: 1.17.25.09

Sendrey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
If your sd card is corrupted, you can definitely have device issues. Scan it, and see if there are errors on it. I've had corrupted usb-drives crash a PC before.
I scan my old 8Gb sd card using windows scan disk (via cardreader), and SKTools in WM6.5 - no errors.

This card is used 1.5 years, half of them in the wm and ~ year in Android (SD Build). SD Android builds make heavy load to SD, many write cycles. I think, after one year use, some sectors may have more than 100k write cycles and begin to wear. (100k proof: can't post url, check "Flash memory" article in Wiki)

PS: One day in new 16Gb SD, no one SOD, but too early for say anything.

PPS: Sory for my english.

Sendrey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My final report: I resolve SOD problem for me completely. After replace old Transcend 8Gb class 6 card to A-data 16Gb class 6 more month ago and no one SOD from this time.

I checking old SD card for errors (by SKTools in phone and scandisk via cardreader) and no errors founded. Now i'm use old SD card with SD-USB adapter and have no problem. N oidea, what happenet with old card, but fact: i have SOD with old card and no one SOD with new.

Old and new card 6 class, but new card much faster, Android SD build on my HD2 faster booting, wake up, responsing. I think, may be SOD cause in speed or latency time.

My advice to all, who are encounters SOD problem: try another SD card, faster is preffered.

Menjic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You should always remove all cards and removable stuff to debug anything.

SOD can be in your caused by bad SD but mostly it is not.

From my experience SOD is usually bad BGA balls under CPU or bad non removable memory. Each of those 2 things are not repairable for us regular users and question is can anyone repair it without new main board and for price lower than buying new device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendrey View Post
My final report: I resolve SOD problem for me completely. After replace old Transcend 8Gb class 6 card to A-data 16Gb class 6 more month ago and no one SOD from this time.

I checking old SD card for errors (by SKTools in phone and scandisk via cardreader) and no errors founded. Now i'm use old SD card with SD-USB adapter and have no problem. N oidea, what happenet with old card, but fact: i have SOD with old card and no one SOD with new.

Old and new card 6 class, but new card much faster, Android SD build on my HD2 faster booting, wake up, responsing. I think, may be SOD cause in speed or latency time.

My advice to all, who are encounters SOD problem: try another SD card, faster is preffered.
Samsung Omnia 7 - nice, fast, good looking but I miss Garmin

nauman_waheed
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cool I hope it can fix to do this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcompt View Post
Hi guys,

There is a lot of discussion at XDA about the Sleep of Death (SOD) where some devices do not wake up from suspend mode. I still did not figure out exactly which is the cause for this "disease" and I am sure there are plenty of members trying to understand this anoying issue.

I have read lots of complaints with cooked Roms but I also read a few posts from guys with stock roms with the same issue.

There are some opinions that using MTTY or Task 29 will solve SOD but unfortunatly there are still some members not so lucky and still have SOD.

Personally I dont have SOD in my device but there are some members using my cooked Rom and others that have experienced several times the Sleep of Death.

So, share your experience here, what do you think about SOD? what is causing this? How to solve this?

. Is it Windows Mobile leaked releases not dumped properly?
. Is it a Manila issue?
. Is it caused by 3rd party apps or Mods?
. Is it caused by several cooked Roms flashed on top of each other?
. Is it caused by damaged SDCards?
. Is it radio Version?
. Operator network?
. Or like someone said in my thread:
"SOD: Septo-optic dysplasia (SOD) is a rare disorder characterized by abnormal development of the optic disk, pituitary deficiencies, and often agenesis (absence) of the septum pellucidum (the part of the brain that separates the anterior horns or the lateral ventricles of the brain)."

What do you think?
Dear all my friends who facing the SOD (Sleep of Death) issue with their Android devices... i found that it is totally related to Wifi Sleep policy related... i just changed the setting last night n now after 8 hours its running fine... no SOD found till yet... i will also be inform u later if i will get my device out of SOD issue...

all of u just have to do one thing.
Go to settings>wifi settings>
from the options go to advanced settings
there is one option: Keep wi-fi on during sleep (go to this option)
there is 3 options: 1. Always, 2. Only when plugged in, 3. Never (increases data usage)
u just have to change ur option from 1 to 2 or 3, then i hope u will find that u will get ur device out of SOD issue...
Regards,
Nauman

(sorry for the poor english)

Note: if it works please hit the Thanks Button... please