Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,141 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[2014.07.09] DSLR Controller v0.99.5 BETA

Tip us?

xcalout
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalout View Post
I'll update my rom to newer version (since the one I have now is over month old), and see if that improves things.
After updating ROM on my Atrix (I'm using this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500535 - quite possible it would run on other ICS ports, but I haven't checked them out), DSLR Controller app, works great!!!
There is this slight problem with launching it - sometime I need to start the app 2-3 times, because just after startup it "connects" with a camera (I can tell, because my Canon makes that sound, as if going into liveview), but then immediately quits with no error. After 2-3 attempts it starts fine though, and then works very stable Now I just need to buy a usb battery, to make the whole setup more portable (Atrix requires powered usb connection in order to switch into usb host mode... more on this subject here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997187 )

cheers,
Bart

pspilot
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
This is still related to your setup... either the USB cable or OTG cable itself, or the USB sockets on your equipment are not connecting right.
I would be the first to agree! But I have tried to much different gear to agree . I have 3 different cameras (2x 5DII, 1x 1DmkIV), I have at least 5 different USB-OTG adapter for 3 different Android devices (SII, Note, 7.7) and I use countless different standard USB cables (between camera and OTG adapter), including 2-3 original Canon cables. NO LUCK ! Only if I keep the total USB length roughly below 1m, better 70cm, I get a 100% flawless operation.

But hey, I started living with it for now. One day it'll hit me with the solution . Fortunately I don't need a long cable, since I don't really use DSLR Controller as a 'far remote', but a 'remote-not-to-touch-the-camera' with monitor and settings.

Quote:
I haven't forgotten (it's on the long list of TODOs) but it doesn't have much priority, to be honest. Personally I prefer the current method - but I never drag the focus rectangle. Just tap-and-hold wherever you want the focus to be.
No hurry, but for the tap and hit-right my fingers are even too fat ... or it's the drinking . Seriously, I hardly manage to set the rectangle right with a single tap. But as I said, as long as it's not forgotten, no hurry. Thanks for considering it.

chris24g
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Indeed, it should just work. Try this: turn off the 7D, connect it to the tablet. Turn on the 7D, and within 1 second also start DSLR Controller.
First off, thank you for taking the time to reply. Judging by the forum activity, I know you are swamped with stuff.

Unfortunately, though, the trick did not work.

So, I tried it on an HTC Flyer updated OTA to Honeycomb 3.2.1 and when I plugged in the 7D (via remote powered usb hub), I got a "USB device not supported" message. USB thumbdrives will mount, however.

I even updated my 7D to v1.2.5 (latest firmware) thinking that it may be that, but still no joy.

Stumped, but not still not giving up.

wwjoshdew
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,388
No problems here. Just thought I'd share this with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdGrgcLIDk&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwjoshdew

Below are links to some of the devices I've done videos on,
Behold... The Sprint HTC One: http://goo.gl/3Q6nP
Transformer Prime TF201: http://goo.gl/GtxzA
Galaxy Note II L900: http://goo.gl/06zdk
Galaxy S III L710: http://goo.gl/0X5KW
Galaxy Nexus: http://goo.gl/rxUgv
EVO 4G LTE: http://goo.gl/VaoeU
EVO 3D: http://goo.gl/rmdoA

opmaroon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Originally Posted by opmaroon

I just tried the first official 1.0 ICS firmware for the Aurora. Very strange behaviour. It worked fine for a minute, then crashed out and now continually gives me the 'can't find compatible camera' error message. Multiple hard resets on both devices doesn't make any difference.

@chainfire, is there any way to send crash reports?

Quote:
When you connect the camera to the device, it should give you a popup allowing you to select DSLR Controller, you don't usually have to start the app manually.
Apologies if I'm missing something, but I can't see how your post relates to mine?

dungm
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Originally Posted by dungm
Tks Cf for this great app.
How's about the zooming function? I couldn't work out how to make it for my 40D.
There's a zoom button at the top-right of the screen. I'm not sure if that works with the VxWorks models, though. (You have a VxWorks model device).

Hi CF, I've got the zoom button there but just used for focusing purpose. I meant how to control the zoom lens attached to my device.
Futhermore, is there any chance to make built-in flash works? I couldn't find way to config then.

pootle42
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up remote radio flashes - pixel kings work well

since there have been quite a few folks posting about flashes and remote triggers, just thought I'd share this which works well for me.

Canon 7D
Samsung Galaxy SII with ICS
pixel king radio repeaters (1 transmit and 2 receivers)
canon 270Ex II flash (2 off)
short micro USB to standard usb cable (plugged into phone)
normal mini usb to standard usb cable in camera
USB extender cable to link them
total sub cable length 2.8m (about 8'6")

Only awkward part is that I have to unplug the cable to get at the camera menu to change (A:B:C) flash power. (camera menu button doesn't work if I only exit dslr controller)
The Following User Says Thank You to pootle42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chainfire
Old
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? - OP
Thanks Meter 49,376

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZuneLune View Post
It has crashed a few more times on me when I access timelapse. To try to rule out settings, I turned off the info on the liveview screen (camera settings info) and it did not crash. I submitted a report through the app.
Make sure you aren't going into timelapse mode while in "focus mode". The current public version allows this - upcoming version does not. But that could create problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalout View Post
After updating ROM on my Atrix (I'm using this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500535 - quite possible it would run on other ICS ports, but I haven't checked them out), DSLR Controller app, works great!!!
There is this slight problem with launching it - sometime I need to start the app 2-3 times, because just after startup it "connects" with a camera (I can tell, because my Canon makes that sound, as if going into liveview), but then immediately quits with no error. After 2-3 attempts it starts fine though, and then works very stable Now I just need to buy a usb battery, to make the whole setup more portable (Atrix requires powered usb connection in order to switch into usb host mode... more on this subject here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997187 )
Not sure what's going on here. Could well be a connection issue due to your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspilot View Post
I would be the first to agree! But I have tried to much different gear to agree . I have 3 different cameras (2x 5DII, 1x 1DmkIV), I have at least 5 different USB-OTG adapter for 3 different Android devices (SII, Note, 7.7) and I use countless different standard USB cables (between camera and OTG adapter), including 2-3 original Canon cables. NO LUCK ! Only if I keep the total USB length roughly below 1m, better 70cm, I get a 100% flawless operation.

But hey, I started living with it for now. One day it'll hit me with the solution . Fortunately I don't need a long cable, since I don't really use DSLR Controller as a 'far remote', but a 'remote-not-to-touch-the-camera' with monitor and settings.

No hurry, but for the tap and hit-right my fingers are even too fat ... or it's the drinking . Seriously, I hardly manage to set the rectangle right with a single tap. But as I said, as long as it's not forgotten, no hurry. Thanks for considering it.
Yeah your situation is really weird. Do you happen to live inside a nuclear power plant? I've had reports of people successfully using pretty long USB extenders, etc. All I can think of is radio interference in your case, but it still shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
First off, thank you for taking the time to reply. Judging by the forum activity, I know you are swamped with stuff.

Unfortunately, though, the trick did not work.

So, I tried it on an HTC Flyer updated OTA to Honeycomb 3.2.1 and when I plugged in the 7D (via remote powered usb hub), I got a "USB device not supported" message. USB thumbdrives will mount, however.

I even updated my 7D to v1.2.5 (latest firmware) thinking that it may be that, but still no joy.

Stumped, but not still not giving up.
The advice I gave you was for the Chinese tablet. DSLR Controller does *not* work on any known HTC hardware. HTC does *not* provide USB host capabilities, not even on their new One series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opmaroon View Post
Apologies if I'm missing something, but I can't see how your post relates to mine?
It sounded to me like you were manually starting DSLR Controller, while you should receive a popup when you connect the camera that would offer to start DSLR Controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungm View Post
Hi CF, I've got the zoom button there but just used for focusing purpose. I meant how to control the zoom lens attached to my device.
Futhermore, is there any chance to make built-in flash works? I couldn't find way to config then.
Re: zoom, that's not technically possible. I'm actually surprised you think it would be. As for flash, make sure silent shooting is turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootle42 View Post
since there have been quite a few folks posting about flashes and remote triggers, just thought I'd share this which works well for me.

Canon 7D
Samsung Galaxy SII with ICS
pixel king radio repeaters (1 transmit and 2 receivers)
canon 270Ex II flash (2 off)
short micro USB to standard usb cable (plugged into phone)
normal mini usb to standard usb cable in camera
USB extender cable to link them
total sub cable length 2.8m (about 8'6")

Only awkward part is that I have to unplug the cable to get at the camera menu to change (A:B:C) flash power. (camera menu button doesn't work if I only exit dslr controller)
Thanks for this information.

As for changing flash power, try turning on the camera LCD (you'd also see liveview there) before trying to go into menu. That usually works
BLOG - G+(Chainfire) - G+(Personal) - TWITTER - IRC - DONATE

A proper quote includes only the relevant paragraphs, and a proper post never ends with the word "why"

Android
HTC G1, Hero, One
LG G Pad 8.3, G Watch, G3
Moto E
Samsung i5800, i9000*2, P1000*2, P7100, i9100*2, N7000, P6800, i9300, N7100, i9505, N9005, G900F
Sony T LT30p, Z C6603
Nexus Galaxy*2, N7*2, N10, N7-2013, N7-2013-3G, N5

SuperSU, Mobile ODIN, TriangleAway, DSLR Controller, CF-Root, 500 Firepaper, OpenDelta, USB Host Diagnostics, ExynosAbuseAPK, Live dmesg+logcat, NoMoarPowah!, CF-Bench, Chainfire3D, CF.lumen, SGS2 SIM Unlocker, GingerBreakAPK, SuperPower, and more!

Windows Mobile 5/6
E-Mobile EM-ONE
HTC Wizard*2, Kaiser, Touch, Diamond, Pro, HD*2, Diamond 2, Pro 2*2, HD2*2
Samsung i780, i900*2, i8000*2, b7300, b7320, b7330, b7620*2, b6520

WMWifiRouter, KaiserTweak, FPUEnabler, WMLongLife, WMRegOptimizer, CFC+GUI, TF3D+v2 ports, Kaiser+Omnia2+Snapdragon 3D drivers, GfxBoost, and more!

Windows Phone 7
LG GW910

NOTICE: I do not respond to tech support questions through PM.

pootle42
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
As for changing flash power, try turning on the camera LCD (you'd also see liveview there) before trying to go into menu. That usually works
Thanks - that works a treat.

resurrecion fight
Old
Thanks Meter 5
nice

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2