Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 48,145 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy 8.9 - Discontinued?

Tip us?

Royaltiger
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Lightbulb Galaxy 8.9 - Discontinued?

I have heard from a lot of sources (many corporate) that the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 will not be continued by Sammy any further. They are focusing on 7" and 10.1" size in the US looking at the mediocre sales 8.9". Due to this reason the next generation of Galaxy tablets i.e., Tab 2 is strictly 10.1" and 7".

The Galaxy 8.9 32GB has already been deleted from many retailers' system after it was all sold. And 16GB continues till the stock depletes.

So if you are interested in Galaxy 8.9, time is running out. FYI!

desantim
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaltiger View Post
I have heard from a lot of sources (many corporate) that the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 will not be continued by Sammy any further. They are focusing on 7" and 10.1" size in the US looking at the mediocre sales 8.9". Due to this reason the next generation of Galaxy tablets i.e., Tab 2 is strictly 10.1" and 7".

The Galaxy 8.9 32GB has already been deleted from many retailers' system after it was all sold. And 16GB continues till the stock depletes.

So if you are interested in Galaxy 8.9, time is running out. FYI!
I got on the 8.9 wagon myself, and am pretty disappointed I did. I think my best option would have been to hold out for the Sammy Note, and go with a 10.1" otherwise. The 8.9 has little support and it isn't nearly as useful IMO. It's like the awkward duckling.

Ah well, we live and we learn.

~m

pseudo_nomen
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Which is too bad... because 8.9 is kind of the sweet spot. Just the right size.
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudo_nomen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tuktukscotty
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I love my 8.9. I had the 10.1 but found it too big, tried out the HTC flyer 7 inch but it was too small IMO. I use my 8.9 everyday and can honestly say that it's perfect for what I want it to do. My laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore!.
I'm the luckiest man alive!!, just a pity it's all bad luck!!.

brusko1972
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktukscotty View Post
I love my 8.9. I had the 10.1 but found it too big, tried out the HTC flyer 7 inch but it was too small IMO. I use my 8.9 everyday and can honestly say that it's perfect for what I want it to do. My laptop hardly ever gets turned on anymore!.
Same here. My netbook only gets turned on probably one's a month. I am glad I bought the 32GB 8.9 tab since sammy wont be making 8.9 tabs anymore
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9

Moto X
HTC Sensation
HTC Touch HD
Nokia N95
Nokia 6600
Nokia 6310i
Nokia 6310
Nokia 3210
Nokia 5110
The Following User Says Thank You to brusko1972 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danix180
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_nomen View Post
Which is too bad... because 8.9 is kind of the sweet spot. Just the right size.
I agree with you.. I love my 8.9 LTE. Fast light easy to hold. This is the perfect size.

I'm glad I got it.

Floridadomer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I wonder how much more successful the 8.9 would have been if it had a SD Slot?

giant22000
Old
Thanks Meter 37
How disappointing. I originally bought the samsung galaxy tab 7 +. It was too small and also didn't have that great developmental support. The samsung galaxy tab 8.9 is perfect for me. The quality fit and finish also feels much better on the 8.9. The only thing that I felt that it was lacking was a micro sd card slot. I'm just glad that I bought one before they are discontinued.
Phone
Nexus 5 (32GB White)
ROM - Purity ROM
KERNEL - Faux123 Kernel

Tablet
LG G Pad 8.3 V500
ROM - Mahdi ROM
KERNEL - dyn.kernel

Previous Phones - Oldest to Newest
Motorola Droid Pro
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Rezound
Galaxy Nexus - VZW
Galaxy Nexus - From Google Play Store
Nexus 4 - From Google Play Store
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919)

Previous Tablets
Nexus 7 (2012)
ROM - CM10.2 Latest Nightly
It died!

DBBGBA
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridadomer View Post
I wonder how much more successful the 8.9 would have been if it had a SD Slot?
SD slot, better screen, faster software and maybe 100$ less than the 10" then it would have been a hit. Even with these problems I found it much more comfortable than other tablets. The size is really perfect and if you look at it maybe it's because it's closer to the one of the ipad or a medium size book.
Plus the GPS is a killer, that thing locks on satellites like nothing I have ever seen, it beats an Asus Transformer (not the prime)!!!

Jameslepable
Old
Thanks Meter 105
I think this tablet is massively under rated, it is a perfect size. It's replaced my netbook when I go to university. It's small and practical at the same time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy NEXUS 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Stock, Stock Kernal (for now)

Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 3.2 Stock ROM, Rooted

Old

LG Optimus One OFFICIAL CM7.2 @ 806Mhz

LG Optimus Swift ICS BETA ROM