Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 52,215 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question in wrong place

Tip us?
 
romzL
Old
#1  
romzL's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 227
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Question in wrong place

hi guys. need some assistance. i currently have an arc s rooted, BL locked, no roms, currently .42. i had my PC companion updated and it suddenly showed me an update for .69. my question is, if i proceed with the update, will i lose root on my phone? if yes, can i still root my phone once its already on .69? won't i have any issue once the official ICS is out and i update it while im on .69 or .62 will be better? sorry for too many questions. just don't want to brick my phone by doing unnecessary updates. please advise. thanks!
 
Muurahainen
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 82
Join Date: Mar 2012
You lose your root if you use pc companion to update.

If you update with OTA method root stays.
LG Optimus 4X HD (P880)
Motorota Moto E (XT1021)
Samsung Galaxy TAB 2 (GT-P3100)
The Following User Says Thank You to Muurahainen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
romzL
Old
(Last edited by romzL; 17th April 2012 at 09:45 PM.)
#3  
romzL's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 227
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muurahainen View Post
You lose your root if you use pc companion to update.

If you update with OTA method root stays.
thanks. how would i be able to get an OTA update? or if i update via PC companion with that .69 update, is there a root process for that update?
 
zolaisugly
Old
#4  
zolaisugly's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1093
Posts: 1,663
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by romzL View Post
thanks. how would i be able to get an OTA update? or if i update via PC companion with that .69 update, is there a root process for that update?
No root available for.62 or.69(this for Germany legal issues overgmail) unless you have UNlocked bootloader,if you have unlocked bootloader do not update over the air it will brick your phone.

If bootloader is locked then use flash tools to down grade to.42 then root then update over the air to.62/.69 which ever your device gives you this way you wont lose root.

Hope this helps


Sent from my LT15i using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to zolaisugly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
romzL
Old
#5  
romzL's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 227
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolaisugly View Post
No root available for.62 or.69(this for Germany legal issues overgmail) unless you have UNlocked bootloader,if you have unlocked bootloader do not update over the air it will brick your phone.

If bootloader is locked then use flash tools to down grade to.42 then root then update over the air to.62/.69 which ever your device gives you this way you wont lose root.

Hope this helps


Sent from my LT15i using XDA App
yes BL is locked. seems like i won't be updating my Arc S to any of those firmware since there is no root yet. thanks for the help
 
zolaisugly
Old
#6  
zolaisugly's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1093
Posts: 1,663
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by romzL View Post
yes BL is locked. seems like i won't be updating my Arc S to any of those firmware since there is no root yet. thanks for the help
If bootloader is locked then you can update ota and you wont lose root,

From what I understand there is no big difference between .42 and .62/.69


Sent from my LT15i using XDA App
 
hackdima
Old
#7  
hackdima's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Düsseldorf
you could flash 42 root this, update over the air to 62, than flash only the baseband to 69 root will still!
 
romzL
Old
#8  
romzL's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 227
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolaisugly View Post
If bootloader is locked then you can update ota and you wont lose root,

From what I understand there is no big difference between .42 and .62/.69


Sent from my LT15i using XDA App
not much difference? from what i have heard, .62 did have some improvement on the GB FW.
 
Muurahainen
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 82
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by romzL View Post
not much difference? from what i have heard, .62 did have some improvement on the GB FW.
If you want .62 then you can do OTA update like i said.

You will keep your root that way.
LG Optimus 4X HD (P880)
Motorota Moto E (XT1021)
Samsung Galaxy TAB 2 (GT-P3100)

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


How to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear Live Android Wear SmartWatch – XDA Developer TV

Do you want to Factory Reset your Samsung Gear … more

Get Your Special xda:devcon ’14 Hotel And Conference Rate While It Lasts

By now you’ve definitely heard about XDA’s … more

Google Chromecast Rootable Once Again!

Over the six months, theGoogle Chromecasthas gained a considerable amount of official functionality. … more

YAATA isn’t Just Another Android Texting App

Although our mobile devices today are capable of executingnearly every task we normally … more