How to deal with low signal battery drain?

13th April 2012, 04:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41

380 posts
I monitor battery use carefully and freeze apps that cause unnecessary drain. I use 2g only. I use Better Battery Stats to identify wakelocks. Everything in my phone seems set up properly but I cannot figure out how to deal with battery drain due to a poor signal in my area. I have tried using airplane mode but this results in exchange/email, friendcaster, and gmail (among others) wakelocks. I have no issues with wakelocks on the two tablets I use when wifi is turned off but turning off data on the Vibrant seems to offer no battery saving benefits. Even when I turn off syncing completely, I run into wakelock issues. I'm using bionix right now but I have had this issue with many ROMs.

Bottom line: If I leave data activated, I get significant battery drain due to a poor signal. If I turn data off, I get significant battery drain due to wakelocks. How do you guys handle this problem?
14th April 2012, 03:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

27 posts
Hi...
In my opinion,

1. you try diffenrent modem for optimal signal fetching....

2. Try Juice defender like apps that prevents unncessary battery drain to a greater extent, if it is PRO version, then it is worth like anything.....

3. Try some CPU slide or voltage control to reduce the battery drain...

After sincerely trying this for about one or two days stick on to the optimised parameters, definitely you will be get rid of battery drains.....
Dont mind me if it not much useful....
All the best...
The Following User Says Thank You to ppmal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 02:48 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 45

227 posts
More
Are you running the original Bionix?? That's old school stuff. You can try different modems to get better signal, but a bad signal will drain the battery no matter what phone you have. At least it has with every one of my phones. I would start at fixing permissions under ROM manager, reboot into CWM, repair permissions in there, reboot and see what happens. That has fixed app issues for me before.

But really, if you are still on Bionix, I would recommend updating to Fishmanmod's updated version of Bionix with a clean wipe. Could give and ICS rom a try, also.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpaul007 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2012, 08:23 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

380 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul007

Are you running the original Bionix?? That's old school stuff. You can try different modems to get better signal, but a bad signal will drain the battery no matter what phone you have. At least it has with every one of my phones. I would start at fixing permissions under ROM manager, reboot into CWM, repair permissions in there, reboot and see what happens. That has fixed app issues for me before.

But really, if you are still on Bionix, I would recommend updating to Fishmanmod's updated version of Bionix with a clean wipe. Could give and ICS rom a try, also.

I'm using fishman's mod of bionix.

I think I found a solution to my problem. Jakub Klos' email fix prevents wakelocks when data is shut off. You can find the file and info here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1253583
The Following User Says Thank You to Sincitybronze For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 195

3,613 posts
More
Are you sure it's a signal issues? Maybe it's an application that's causing the drain. Have you tried reflashing?
19th April 2012, 03:44 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

380 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iynfynity

Are you sure it's a signal issues? Maybe it's an application that's causing the drain. Have you tried reflashing?

I believe so. Even when all my accounts were set to manual, when I left data on during the day at work, the drain was out of control and there were no significant wakelocks. The email app I had been using was also causing battery drain when signal strength was poor. I used the aforementioned email.apk all day today with exchange set to push. I turned data off when I didn't need email or when my signal was poor (most of the day) and the email app didn't cause any wakelocks (it did before). After 13 hours (1 hour of display time), I have 65% of my battery left. BetterBatteryStats shows no significant wakelocks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread