Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery drain from Android OS, suspend, and event/0

Tip us?

chemical1979
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm still running on stock firmware and was affected dramatically by this bug. After upgrading to latest KF4 via KIES, this got even worse.

So I tried something. I disabled WLAN permanently (and only activate it if it is really needed) and removed my microSD card.

THAT did the trick! Don't know which one or if both help such a lot.

I had some mp3s for ring/sms tones on that card (in /media/notification) and Android silently moved apps to that SD (not the internal flash).

That means that Android somehow always needed to access the card (->Android OS), for playing tones (sms) or ringtones. Or even for loading icons in the menu from the SD.

When I removed the microSD card my battery lifetime instantly went up from 12-18h (Event / Suspend / Android OS Bug) to 3 days!
Samsung Galaxy S2

majorlazor
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincitybronze View Post
I was still experiencing random battery drain due to Android OS, suspend, event/0 after switching to cm7. One suggestion I read was to disable calendar sync, as this appears to be a runaway process that attempts to connect to the server constantly without allowing the device to sleep. Doing this allowed me to get through the night with very little drain and the Android OS, etc. processes were finally behaving (within normal limits).

I'm not sure if anyone is reading this thread but I will continue to update until I figure out the solution, as I imagine this problem will become more noticeable to others who are equally frustrated with this issue.
Thanks continuing to post your progress as you worked through this problem even though no one was replying :P Definitely coming in handy right now- much appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to majorlazor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobstro
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincitybronze View Post
[...] (reboot, recovery, wipe dalvik, fix permissions are good ideas, too). When I flash nightlies, I go through this process and the offending processes work as they should. If I don't, problems appear sooner or later.
When flashing new firmware, I always format system cache and Dalvik cache and clear battery stats. The extra minutes on the initial boot are more than made up for with fewer problems afterwards.

Lsjreadingpa
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemical1979 View Post
I'm still running on stock firmware and was affected dramatically by this bug. After upgrading to latest KF4 via KIES, this got even worse.

So I tried something. I disabled WLAN permanently (and only activate it if it is really needed) and removed my microSD card.

THAT did the trick! Don't know which one or if both help such a lot.

I had some mp3s for ring/sms tones on that card (in /media/notification) and Android silently moved apps to that SD (not the internal flash).

That means that Android somehow always needed to access the card (->Android OS), for playing tones (sms) or ringtones. Or even for loading icons in the menu from the SD.

When I removed the microSD card my battery lifetime instantly went up from 12-18h (Event / Suspend / Android OS Bug) to 3 days!
How do you get the nook cm7 to stop using the sd card? My nook is doing this, i would rather have it use internal memory.

mtmello
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default Critical for me

Look my print screen... Just 5h and 92%. Very critical for me!

My device: Samsung galaxy Note with OS 2.3.5 (stock rom w/o root --- for while!).
Tags
android os, battery, drain, event/0, suspend