OP nickmcminn60

14th April 2012, 02:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Asheville
Thanks Meter: 1,213

3,280 posts
Donate to Me
More
Make your Android Free of Ad's in apps and increase Browser loading times.

*Updated 6/2/2012*

-First off remove the ".zip" Extension (Had to add it to upload here)

-Next transfer to device's SD Card.

-Move to the System/etc folder via Root Explorer or equivalent and overwrite the existing host file.

-Change Permissions to rw-r-r and reboot.

-Enjoy an Ad Free Experience

-This Will Also Make Your PC Ad Free (If You Tether). No More Loading Useless Add's, In Turn Speeding up PC Browser Loading Times Using Less Bandwidth!

*To revert back, just delete my Host file and reboot. The OS will rewrite the original.

I will add to this file as I come across newer Ad's

*Yes This Can Be Done With Several App's, But I like My Space and Free Ram*
(Tinker, Tinker, Tinker, That's What It's All About)
Attached Files
File Type: zip hosts.zip - [Click for QR Code] (960.5 KB, 1028 views)
Last edited by nickmcminn60; 2nd June 2012 at 02:11 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nickmcminn60 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2012, 07:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 37

106 posts
Awesome, willl have to do this once my phone arrives. However, do you actually mean Reduce browser loading times??
16th April 2012, 10:39 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 3,768

3,981 posts
More
Or one could use full-featured, easy apps from the Market such as AdAway or Adfree Android...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to k0nane For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2012, 02:59 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Asheville
Thanks Meter: 1,213

3,280 posts
Donate to Me
More
Sorry i just cant sit in front of a pc/Linux all day i have a job to go to. Saturdays are my only day for android. If i do it then. Not worth my time i can just do stuff for me and the old lady, not sure what your deal with me is but im not signing on to see these comments. Ill keep my work personL.....in other news samsungs half ics is working well.
18th April 2012, 09:20 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 3,768

3,981 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmcminn60

not sure what your deal with me is but im not signing on to see these comments

What? I think you're taking... whatever it is that it appears that I'm doing, way too personally. Chill out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k0nane For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 05:19 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 82

292 posts
More
Hey, the good news about this thread is that k0nane suggested adfree android, which literally took 15 seconds to get up and running, and is a nifty little tweak!
4th May 2012, 05:45 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

Or one could use full-featured, easy apps from the Market such as AdAway or Adfree Android...

Apologies to OP, but quick Adfree Android question: is there documentation for it somewhere? I checked out bigtincan.com and it doesn't have anything, and on the Android Market^H^H^H Google Play site there's very little by way of documentation. I think it just did its job, but it presents a lot of choices and it would be good to know what they all do.
5th May 2012, 03:51 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 46

234 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talindsay

Apologies to OP, but quick Adfree Android question: is there documentation for it somewhere? I checked out bigtincan.com and it doesn't have anything, and on the Android Market^H^H^H Google Play site there's very little by way of documentation. I think it just did its job, but it presents a lot of choices and it would be good to know what they all do.

Adaway is actually a little easier to use, I recommend that one

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
9th May 2012, 01:31 AM   |  #9  
Flag Pr0xy┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Thanks Meter: 1,883

1,793 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nane

Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir
Last edited by pr0xy mAn1Ac; 9th May 2012 at 06:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pr0xy mAn1Ac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2012, 06:00 AM   |  #10  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 22

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryheal

Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it that just that your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir

Do you really think that k0nane's post was rude? Really? It is just another way to accomplish the same thing. That dude gave us root. That in itself is way more than most have offered.
I thank everyone for the work they're putting in for this device, but to say that his post was rude is reaching a bit. He just gave another option, and it is a good one.
We're all on the same team.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allprogrammed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread