Post Reply

ICS 4.04 disapointment ...

OP dizzy33

18th April 2012, 05:34 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

Change animation settings under development to none or at least down to .5 from 1.0.
Use a third party launcher and third party browser if unsatisfied with stock. We have choice...we can use it.

My Xoom is as smooth as butter...no lag or stutter at all.

Thanks for these advises but the problem for me is not the speed of the device but its fluidity. So changing the animation setting did change the speed of the way the menu are displayed but not the fluidity of the animations.
About the fird party launcher, I think it will not make it run smoother as it will run in the background and occupy memory.
18th April 2012, 05:39 PM   |  #12  
Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 712
 
3,003 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy33

Thanks for these advises but the problem for me is not the speed of the device but its fluidity. So changing the animation setting did change the speed of the way the menu are displayed but not the fluidity of the animations.
About the fird party launcher, I think it will not make it run smoother as it will run in the background and occupy memory.

Why, I don't know, but I have always found increased smoothness from launcher like ADWEX. As they say, "your mileage may vary." The configuration in my signature represents what I think is probably the best, smoothest and fastest combination I can find. I also have tons of apps and a pretty elaborate theme and still my Xoom is butter-smooth. It can be done.
18th April 2012, 05:44 PM   |  #13  
Senior Member
Flag chippewa
Thanks Meter: 22
 
136 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy33

I always choose the apps to install according to their fluidity. I know some apps are badly developped. I also have no apps running in background (that's why I choosed the stock ICS), always killing running apps before running a new one. I also don't use animated background.
I do my best to let my Xoom run as smooth as possible.

Why kill the apps before running a new one? If you are choosing apps based on how well programmed they are that seems completely unnecessary.


Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium
18th April 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82
 
568 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Hi,

You didn't mention what apps you are running.

I'm running 4.0.4 stock rooted - and no issues in general. It got very laggy once after running for a week, but a reboot fixed it. Like any OS, very complex and not perfect - reboot once in a while.

I honestly don't find ICS to be very much different than HC (nor did I expect it to be). (ICS is what google wanted HC to be but ran out of time, so released HC)
18th April 2012, 06:41 PM   |  #15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy33

Thanks for these advises but the problem for me is not the speed of the device but its fluidity. So changing the animation setting did change the speed of the way the menu are displayed but not the fluidity of the animations.
About the fird party launcher, I think it will not make it run smoother as it will run in the background and occupy memory.

Adw auncher makes for a much smoother home screen experiance than stock. Stock struggles with more than a couple of Widgets. Its a diferant experiance, but definatly faster.
18th April 2012, 06:43 PM   |  #16  
ZanshinG1's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 75
 
327 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy33

I always choose the apps to install according to their fluidity. I know some apps are badly developped. I also have no apps running in background (that's why I choosed the stock ICS), always killing running apps before running a new one. I also don't use animated background.
I do my best to let my Xoom run as smooth as possible.

Which is why you were so quick to see my original suggestion as a personal attack?
Last edited by ZanshinG1; 18th April 2012 at 06:57 PM.
18th April 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanshinG1

Which is why you were so quick to see my original suggestion as a personal attack?

I thought you took it as a personal attack because you said "stop using crappy apps", which to my point of view is agressive.
That's it. I'm sorry if your goal was not to be agressive.
19th April 2012, 03:56 AM   |  #18  
Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 712
 
3,003 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
You know, there are lots of fixes for any problems this device had at one time, but many require rooting and installing custom roms/kernels/recoveries and certain non-stock apps. I realize that some people like staying stock as much as possible...I don't. I want to get root immediately and start customizing. That's just me. Some people don't like to eat meat...I do. Some people can't imagine not driving everywhere...I've never owned a car. We're all different. But sometimes you just have to understand that your desire to stay all stock comes at a price. Lag exists. That's why custom roms exist...to eliminate lag, among other brilliant things.
19th April 2012, 08:22 AM   |  #19  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
395 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi

You know, there are lots of fixes for any problems this device had at one time, but many require rooting and installing custom roms/kernels/recoveries and certain non-stock apps. I realize that some people like staying stock as much as possible...I don't. I want to get root immediately and start customizing. That's just me. Some people don't like to eat meat...I do. Some people can't imagine not driving everywhere...I've never owned a car. We're all different. But sometimes you just have to understand that your desire to stay all stock comes at a price. Lag exists. That's why custom roms exist...to eliminate lag, among other brilliant things.

OK, so I'll check the custom ROMS ... Can anyone specify which ROM is the best for fluidity ?
19th April 2012, 12:34 PM   |  #20  
Junior Member
Flag Newcastle
Thanks Meter: 4
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
I didnt have or notice any of the problems you had on stock ICS

I am running the following rom on my xoom atm and have had no issues

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1437358

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes