Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 40,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CyanogenMod 7 for Captivate Q&A

Tip us?
 
kalda01
Old
#2991  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 705
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yavne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythekain View Post
I don't think it's glitch... When I was running 7.1 it would regularly freeze and auto-reboot with the stock CM7 kernel.

I'm running the Glitch V14B5 for ICS roms, and it's not affected the overall phone stability at all. The biggest difference is the ROM itself.
Is there any ROM setting that might affect the stability of the phone? In another words, what can be changed to stop the phone from freezing with CM7 ?
 
scythekain
Old
#2992  
scythekain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 179
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bellevue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjm9b View Post
i have never had a freeze EVER on stock... and with the low level of people complaining about this I would assume that most people don't have your problem.
Honestly I think my cm7 problems were from exceeding the ~187 mb of app space in datadata.
 
kalda01
Old
#2993  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 705
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yavne
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythekain View Post
Honestly I think my cm7 problems were from exceeding the ~187 mb of app space in datadata.
Can I flash 7.2 over 7.1 without a full wipe ?
 
korockinout13
Old
#2994  
korockinout13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 521
Posts: 2,001
Join Date: Oct 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalda01 View Post
Can I flash 7.2 over 7.1 without a full wipe ?
Go right ahead

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 / Android L + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!
 
ddk99
Old
(Last edited by ddk99; 17th April 2012 at 02:31 AM.) Reason: Updated my problem.
#2995  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Not sure if the right place to ask

So I've been using CM7.1 for about two weeks now, and it's been a breeze so far.

But today it randomly auto-rebooted, and was stuck stuck on the CM7 splash screen.

Then I proceeded to enter recovery mode and made a backup with NANDroid, restored to factory settings, and attempted to recover using my previous (and only) backup file.

Needless to say, the problem persists.

I wouldn't mind flashing CM7 again, but I'd like to know if there's a way to access the phone files to recover my pictures, (locally stored) contacts and SMS.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Did a factory rest and rebooted phone. I can now access my pictures but contacts and SMS messages are gone. Still, I have the backup file from this morning. Is there a way to recover my contacts/SMS?

Thanks again!
 
korockinout13
Old
#2996  
korockinout13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 521
Posts: 2,001
Join Date: Oct 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk99 View Post
So I've been using CM7.1 for about two weeks now, and it's been a breeze so far.

But today it randomly auto-rebooted, and was stuck stuck on the CM7 splash screen.

Then I proceeded to enter recovery mode and made a backup with NANDroid, restored to factory settings, and attempted to recover using my previous (and only) backup file.

Needless to say, the problem persists.

I wouldn't mind flashing CM7 again, but I'd like to know if there's a way to access the phone files to recover my pictures, (locally stored) contacts and SMS.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Did a factory rest and rebooted phone. I can now access my pictures but contacts and SMS messages are gone. Still, I have the backup file from this morning. Is there a way to recover my contacts/SMS?

Thanks again!
Firstly I would recommend updating to 7.2 so you get the latest updates and bugfixes. But to get that stuff back, you will need to restore that backup and use utilities to save those things. For SMS, use SMS Backup & Restore. For contacts, just sync with Google, copy to Sim card, or find an app for that. Once they are all backed up, restore them onto your stable configuration

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 / Android L + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!
The Following User Says Thank You to korockinout13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ddk99
Old
#2997  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by korockinout13 View Post
Firstly I would recommend updating to 7.2 so you get the latest updates and bugfixes. But to get that stuff back, you will need to restore that backup and use utilities to save those things. For SMS, use SMS Backup & Restore. For contacts, just sync with Google, copy to Sim card, or find an app for that. Once they are all backed up, restore them onto your stable configuration

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate
I got my stuff back thanks to this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1370349

Since, I couldn't boot using my backup. However, I'll be sure to update to 7.2, and sync my contacts with google in case of a future error on my end.

Thanks!
 
kalda01
Old
#2998  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 705
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yavne
I have also upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 without a full wipe and have all my apps in place as before the upgrade.
The one problem that bothers me most and wasn't resolved by the upgrade is cellular call quality and poor GPS performance.
I'm getting many hangups during phone calls and GPS sometimes takes a few minitus to get sattelite fix.
The modem I'm using is JL2.
My cell provider uses 1800 band for GSM and 2100 for 3G.
Can someone recommend alternative modem that might work better for me ?
 
korockinout13
Old
#2999  
korockinout13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 521
Posts: 2,001
Join Date: Oct 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalda01 View Post
I have also upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 without a full wipe and have all my apps in place as before the upgrade.
The one problem that bothers me most and wasn't resolved by the upgrade is cellular call quality and poor GPS performance.
I'm getting many hangups during phone calls and GPS sometimes takes a few minitus to get sattelite fix.
The modem I'm using is JL2.
My cell provider uses 1800 band for GSM and 2100 for 3G.
Can someone recommend alternative modem that might work better for me ?
The poor GPS is just something we have to deal with on this phone, but you can try Hellstorm's GPS fix. Modems typically depend on where you live, but JK4 has a great reputation in general

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate
Nexus 5 16GB on T-Mobile: CM11 / Android L + TWRP || Nexus 7 2012 32GB: Stock 4.4 + Xposed + franco + TWRP
Nexus 4 (cracked & sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII i777 (sold)|AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate i897 (sold)

All in One Guide for Samsung i897 Captivate, i9000 Galaxy S
Get extra space on Copy or Dropbox with a new account!
 
kalda01
Old
(Last edited by kalda01; 19th April 2012 at 07:16 AM.)
#3000  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 705
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yavne
Default Alternative modems

It was mentioned in another post that Nexus S modems are compatible with I897.
What's the advantage of those modems over native Captivate modems ?

This is the thread about the Nexus modems:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1493225

Tags
2.3.4, captivate, cyanogen, cyanogenmod, gingerbread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes