XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dead pixels

Tip us?

randpost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Default Dead pixels

I'm on my second Rezound now. First one I had was purchased release week, and I ended up cracking the screen (my fault), but it had a single dead pixel which is the point of this thread. My second and current Rezound just got its third dead pixel today.

Is this an inherent problem with the LCD panels used in the Rezound or am I just unlucky?

Thankfully, the pixels are so small its only visible when black images are populating my screen, but still gets annoying especially when playing rich colored games like death rally.

zetsumeikuro
Old
Thanks Meter 857
Took me 3 Rezounds before I got one w/o dead pixels. I guess it's a common problem w/ LCD screens, and I think this is their first 720p LCD screen? Just keep replacing it till you get a good one, that's what I did. Verizon will replace the device for dead pixels.

The Following User Says Thank You to zetsumeikuro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

a.mcdear
Old
Thanks Meter 448
I'm on my second Rezound.. and neither of them have any dead pixels.

In my personal experience, dead pixels usually result of too much pressure applied to the screen, like from sitting on the phone or getting smashed inside a bag or something.
My Devices:
Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2 [CarbonROM]
Rezound - Android 4.4.2 [CM11]
TF101 - Android 4.2.2 [EOS4] + KAT-kernel by timduru
MOTOACTV - Android 2.3.4 [ReACTV AOSP]

randpost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.mcdear View Post
I'm on my second Rezound.. and neither of them have any dead pixels.

In my personal experience, dead pixels usually result of too much pressure applied to the screen, like from sitting on the phone or getting smashed inside a bag or something.
One of my past computer monitors had a few dead pixels. it was an isolated incident, but no pressure was applied to the monitor, not by me anyway.

I'm pretty gentle with my phone, but I press hard when I play games. maybe that does it. oh well. i will get a new one tomorrow.

johnwaynegacy
Old
Thanks Meter 59
look in the market for apps designed to fix dead/stuck pixels. Basically they rapidly flash colors. Run the app for like a half an hour, it might fix your problem. Also, don't look at the screen while it is running, especially if you are epileptic. I have one installed called dead pixel detect and fix. I never had a dead pixel though. I just wanted to check the app out.

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by randpost View Post
One of my past computer monitors had a few dead pixels. it was an isolated incident, but no pressure was applied to the monitor, not by me anyway.

I'm pretty gentle with my phone, but I press hard when I play games. maybe that does it. oh well. i will get a new one tomorrow.
Generally you get dead pixels during the mfg process when dust or other small particals "crush" the pixel and renders it dead. It took me five rezounds to get one without a dead pixel.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

randpost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Generally you get dead pixels during the mfg process when dust or other small particals "crush" the pixel and renders it dead. It took me five rezounds to get one without a dead pixel.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
I have another Rezound coming tomorrow. Only thing I don't like is that it is certified like new. I guess if the phone turns out to be a good replacement, then no big deal. I just hope It doesn't take 5 phones to get me squared away. Seems time consuming.

My first replacement of the Rezound was brand new since it was during the release week I guess.

nosympathy
Old
Thanks Meter 1132

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by randpost View Post
I have another Rezound coming tomorrow. Only thing I don't like is that it is certified like new. I guess if the phone turns out to be a good replacement, then no big deal. I just hope It doesn't take 5 phones to get me squared away. Seems time consuming.

My first replacement of the Rezound was brand new since it was during the release week I guess.
I got a certified like new replacement and it has a perfect screen. Just those damn buttons are still pink. Had you showed me that certified like new unit next to a new one I wouldnt have been able to tell you the difference.
[Phone] Samsung Galaxy Note II
[Root] Jailbroken
[Recovery] TWRP 2.4.1.0
[Rom] Beans #7
[Kernal] Saber Kernel

randpost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I got a certified like new replacement and it has a perfect screen. Just those damn buttons are still pink. Had you showed me that certified like new unit next to a new one I wouldnt have been able to tell you the difference.
Good to hear.

randpost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 225
I got my replacement phone today. Looks like a brand new phone; perfect cosmetically.

I haven't unlocked it yet, but have been noticing heat problems. Tried multiple batteries, with no luck. temp monitor is saying 119 degrees and that's after sitting in my pocket idle. Have had two random reboots and that's with a stock phone, and no market apps installed. I would venture to guess that the reboots are heat related.

I just talked to VZ and looks like I'll be getting another phone shipped to me on Monday, arrival on Tues. Hopefully this phone will be the last one :x