Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Do you experience "black crush" on your Galaxy Note?
Severe crush (can see the number 1 in test image) 74 57.36%
Moderate crush (can see up to numbers 2-4) 20 15.50%
Minor crush (can see up to numbers 5-6) 6 4.65%
No, tones gradually go to black. 29 22.48%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed

[POLL] Black clipping / black crush

OP tenderchkn

19th April 2012, 12:23 AM   |  #411  
Thanks Meter: 633

1,747 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg42

Yes... and I tried that a few times. Even with a reboot. Didn't change anything for me at least.

Hmmm, have you messed with any of the other settings that are on or off by default?
19th April 2012, 12:27 AM   |  #412  
Thanks Meter: 633

1,747 posts
Donate to Me
If we can determine what makes Quickpic unique, we would be one step closer.

Perhaps we could/should contact the Quickpic author to see if he/she/they would help us...
19th April 2012, 12:29 AM   |  #413  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 226

663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse

If we can determine what makes Quickpic unique, we would be one step closer.

Perhaps we could/should contact the Quickpic author to see if he/she would help us...

I checked out the site of the author, it is all in Chinese. But might be worth a shot. I dunno, I am a bit stumped. I even tried to remove Quickpic, clear my cache, and revert to my old TiBu backup of the previous version, but couldn't recreate the clipping.
19th April 2012, 12:55 AM   |  #414  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24

137 posts
Changing the force 32-bit rendering setting doesn't change anything, nor did it change anything in GB. So I don't think it's a 32-bit vs 16-bit issue. After all, we're not dealing with banding here.

Also, since the gamma test picture is rendered with each box different than the next, this is proof that it is rendered in 32-bit. 32-bit color is 8-bits per channel, which means 256 different levels of gray. 16-bit color has 4-bits per channel, or 16 levels of gray. If the test image was rendered in 16-bit, then boxes 1-4, 5-8, etc, would look identical. Since they're all unique, I think we can conclude that it is rendered in 32-bit.

So it's a completely different reason why QuickPic works and stock gallery doesn't.

Edit: Yup, just confirmed this by setting my computer to 16-bit color.
Last edited by tenderchkn; 19th April 2012 at 01:00 AM.
19th April 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #415  
Thanks Meter: 145

266 posts
If you look closely when the image first loads with quickpic, the first few milliseconds the image is displayed, it shows clipping at box 8 and under and then boxes 1-7 are renderred shortly after load. It's almost like some sort of setting is turned on or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app
19th April 2012, 04:53 AM   |  #416  
Georgia
Thanks Meter: 779

1,792 posts
More
Hows abouts deez apples?!? Looks like were getting closer to a fix!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=23967106
The Following User Says Thank You to Bataga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2012, 06:28 AM   |  #417  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 23

458 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc5891

If you look closely when the image first loads with quickpic, the first few milliseconds the image is displayed, it shows clipping at box 8 and under and then boxes 1-7 are renderred shortly after load. It's almost like some sort of setting is turned on or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

yup, same here. However there's still a clip at 1. It looked fixed to me once again until I looked at it in the pitch dark then I could clearly see the clipping.

Sent from my Samsung Nizzote
19th April 2012, 05:55 PM   |  #418  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24

137 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002

yup, same here. However there's still a clip at 1. It looked fixed to me once again until I looked at it in the pitch dark then I could clearly see the clipping.

Sent from my Samsung Nizzote

Well, there is always going to be a "clip" at 1. Because 0 is supposed to be completely black. If you look at any display in the dark, it will show a slight difference between black and the darkest gray.

The results that I'm seeing currently in QuickPic is very much acceptable. Do you see improvement compared to when you were on GB?
19th April 2012, 07:10 PM   |  #419  
Thanks Meter: 2

4 posts
screen dimming issue
Great thread; thank you to all the very knowledgeable and dedicated members contributing here. I've had my stock Note for three weeks now, and for me the screen issue is most noticeable when I dim it down for e-book reading in bed (night mode, no ambient light). My Captivate would maintain a black background and the text would dim to a nice low-contrast charcoal gray. When dimming the Note, however, the black background becomes light grey and is blinding in a dark room. Small issue, but it's on the verge of being a deal-breaker for me...only one week to go on my return window to figure out if this will be resolved by ICS and/or a third-party app, or if I'm better off jumping ship to another GS2 variant or the One X. I have no issues with rooting or custom ROMs, but don't want to jeopardize the return option.
19th April 2012, 08:00 PM   |  #420  
Thanks Meter: 10

214 posts
I bought my phone on ebay and was curious so I used the test image. I am already on unofficial, don't know if that makes a difference

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread