Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4g=LTE???

Tip us?

gagliardo17
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 4g=LTE???

So by far best phone on sprint is the et4g. Seeing sprint is turning to lte will the et4g be compatible to lte?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

UndeadNexus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Nope, the Epic Touch won't support LTE. It only supports WiMAX.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
If there's something wrong with your phone, it means it derped when it should have herped.

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2560

DONATE TO ME
No, and Sprint's turning off WiMax (what the E4GT, Evo, Evo 3D, Photon, and all Sprint 4G phones) use around 2015. I hate thinking about it but by then we'll be on to the SGS5.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

Jefe1
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default E4GT LTE Rumor

I was just at a CORPORATE Sprint store getting my poor OG Epic repaired. While I was waiting, I asked about the Galaxy Nexus. I was told that the EPIC 4G TOUCH needed a firmware update, and it could then be used on the new LTE network by a Sprint salesperson in the store. Sounds official to me!!

J.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jefe1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peanut1596
Old
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe1 View Post
I was just at a CORPORATE Sprint store getting my poor OG Epic repaired. While I was waiting, I asked about the Galaxy Nexus. I was told that the EPIC 4G TOUCH needed a firmware update, and it could then be used on the new LTE network by a Sprint salesperson in the store. Sounds official to me!!

J.
I have asked a few of the sales reps and customer service people about this. They say that it is not going to be able to use the LTE service, and that it would need new hardware. And if I'm not mistaken, The wimax service that we currently use is from another company that sprint is with. So i'm not real sure how this will play out, but it is definitely not going to be able to use the LTE service.

Epix4G
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1034
Quote:

J.
Note to you.....you are gullible....the hardware will not even sniff a lte signal.....thus would be like saying with a firmware upgrade your dvd player will play bluray..... The first CPU that Samsung has that can handle lte is the one going in the galaxy 3 ....that is why every galaxy 2 that had lte was omap or snapdragon....the CPU in our phone is incompatible

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Epix4G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jefe1
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Get off my ass dude... What about Samsung's Droid Charge. There, your credibility is already shot!

Anyway, apparently there is an inactive 800 Mhz radio in the E4GT. Rumor has it is that is the way it can be accomplished. It remains to be seen, but remember the Motorola Xoom? Same principle I guess...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Product F(RED)
Old
(Last edited by Product F(RED); 19th April 2012 at 01:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Get off my ass dude... What about Samsung's Droid Charge. There, your credibility is already shot!

Anyway, apparently there is an inactive 800 Mhz radio in the E4GT. Rumor has it is that is the way it can be accomplished. It remains to be seen, but remember the Motorola Xoom? Same principle I guess...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
A) The Droid Charge doesn't have an Exynos processor in it like the Galaxy S II

B) The Exynos does NOT do LTE, which is why the Skyrocket and AT&T Galaxy Note have Snapdragon S3s in them, not Exynos.

C) He's right. You're not going to magically get LTE with a WiMax radio or even the built in CDMA radio. It doesn't matter if LTE is going to be transmitted on that frequency; the phone's modem won't understand what LTE is.

D) The Xoom actually had it's original radio REPLACED by Motorola, in addition to a software update. You had to send your Xoom to Motorola for them to physically open it up and add/replace the LTE radio.

E) It requires a SIM card, which the E4GT doesn't have a slot for.

Done.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Epix4G
Old
(Last edited by Epix4G; 19th April 2012 at 01:10 AM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1034
IRead and understand that 800 mhz radio is cdma like the evo 3d for voice and 3g that is it ...when they decommission the iden frequencies they may put voice on the frequencies but there its no chance of lte on this phone .....none .... go read the other 4 threads already about this ....

And i will not lump all sprint employees in the same boat but 95 % of sprint employees are legally brain dead..... Just a joke ... But they know nothing about phones or the network...you will get the correct info here way before a sprint employee.... But some regional managers and such actually have some info but salesmen etc at stores even customer service have no clue

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix4G View Post
IRead and understand that 800 mhz radio is cdma like the evo 3d for voice and 3g that is it ...when they decommission the iden frequencies they may put voice on the frequencies but there its no chance of lte on this phone .....none .... go read the other 4 threads already about this ....

And i will not lump all sprint employees in the same boat but 95 % of sprint employees are legally brain dead..... Just a joke ... But they know nothing about phones or the network...you will get the correct info here way before a sprint employee.... But some regional managers and such actually have some info but salesmen etc at stores even customer service have no clue
I was a technician in a Sprint store and I agree with the bolded statement 100%.

And you're right about no chance of LTE on any current Sprint phone.