Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Is a flashable zip kernel possible in play ?

OP jaickyt

18th April 2012, 02:04 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 321

1,279 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJoePD

So it's possible to flash a Kernel?

Sent from my R800i using XDA

Yes, through fastboot with an unlocked bootloader.
18th April 2012, 06:26 AM   |  #12  
Flag Aldergrove
Thanks Meter: 220

1,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
When you flash an ftf for stock, the software is signed digitally by Sony. If you flash an unsigned kernel when your bootloader is still locked, you'll get a boot loop.

Flash mode, which is what flashtool uses, is meant for applying official updates, so it's really only meant for signed, official software.

Fastboot on the other hand is for developers.

You could try making an ftf with a custom kernel, but it's basically pointless when fastboot is so easy and it won't boot unless you're unlocked anyway.
Last edited by captain67; 18th April 2012 at 06:30 AM.
18th April 2012, 10:33 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2

30 posts
More
Exactly..once you have unlocked bootloader,then its just a matter of seconds to change kernel..
I change and try new kernels and roms every second day.

Sent from my Xperia Play using XDA App
18th April 2012, 03:08 PM   |  #14  
Flag Bilbo
Thanks Meter: 541

424 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningdude

Flashable kernels are not possible on this phone because recovery isn't on a separate partition.

Sent from my R800x using XDA

but i suppose... if we boot the complete kernel with recovery and copy it to the ram memory, we could flash flash the partition where recovery is insatelled...am i wrong??
18th April 2012, 07:38 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 174

939 posts
I can't get into fastboot mode anymore so flashing a kernel in flash mode would be useful. Ftf files flash them in flash mode.

18th April 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #16  
Flag Aldergrove

1,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJoePD

I can't get into fastboot mode anymore so flashing a kernel in flash mode would be useful. Ftf files flash them in flash mode.

If you can't use fastboot I'd recommend checking in the service menu, and making sure the bootloader is still unlocked. If it's not you're just gonna end up with a boot loop.
19th April 2012, 12:23 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 45

145 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsbamx

but i suppose... if we boot the complete kernel with recovery and copy it to the ram memory, we could flash flash the partition where recovery is insatelled...am i wrong??

That sounds plausible to me. Just like you can run some Linux distributions live off a USB drive and then remove (or format the USB drive) - only certain ones like Puppy linux can do this though, they have to run from RAM like you're saying. Another option might be to copy the recovery (or necessary files) to the cache partition (if there is enough room) so that the recovery isn't dependent upon that partition so it can be wiped/reflashed. I'm not familiar enough with this level of Android development to know how hard this might be though - but I think it should be possible.

But it would be dangerous... if something goes wrong and your device fails in the middle of the process, the partition may be hosed, in which case you might not be able to boot at all (not into recovery or normally). You'd be hosed until you get to a computer to flash a firmware or kernel, making flashing away from a computer dangerous anyway.

So it's probably more error-prone and more hassle to implement for such small reward (it just takes one extra step with a computer to flash a kernel).

~Troop
The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper_Max For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2012, 12:31 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 174

939 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain67

If you can't use fastboot I'd recommend checking in the service menu, and making sure the bootloader is still unlocked. If it's not you're just gonna end up with a boot loop.

It's definitely a PC problem.

19th April 2012, 12:32 AM   |  #19  
Flag Bilbo
Thanks Meter: 541

424 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper_Max

That sounds plausible to me. Just like you can run some Linux distributions live off a USB drive and then remove (or format the USB drive) - only certain ones like Puppy linux can do this though, they have to run from RAM like you're saying. Another option might be to copy the recovery (or necessary files) to the cache partition (if there is enough room) so that the recovery isn't dependent upon that partition so it can be wiped/reflashed. I'm not familiar enough with this level of Android development to know how hard this might be though - but I think it should be possible.

But it would be dangerous... if something goes wrong and your device fails in the middle of the process, the partition may be hosed, in which case you might not be able to boot at all (not into recovery or normally). You'd be hosed until you get to a computer to flash a firmware or kernel, making flashing away from a computer dangerous anyway.

So it's probably more error-prone and more hassle to implement for such small reward (it just takes one extra step with a computer to flash a kernel).

~Troop

Well, but its something... if something gone wrong,
We always are able to reflash an ftf file and restore nandroid backup... i will create a new thread in the developement forum tomorrow , and lets see if developers can make this posible
19th April 2012, 02:18 AM   |  #20  
Flag Aldergrove

1,067 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsbamx

Well, but its something... if something gone wrong,
We always are able to reflash an ftf file and restore nandroid backup... i will create a new thread in the developement forum tomorrow , and lets see if developers can make this posible

You can't restore a nandroid with a phone that won't boot into recovery though. If something went wrong with flashing the kernel, you would be stuck until you get home before you can fix it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread