5,593,650 Members 39,369 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is a flashable zip kernel possible in play ?

Tip us?
 
Solar.Plexus
Old
#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 321
Posts: 1,279
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJoePD View Post
So it's possible to flash a Kernel?

Sent from my R800i using XDA
Yes, through fastboot with an unlocked bootloader.
 
captain67
Old
(Last edited by captain67; 18th April 2012 at 05:30 AM.)
#12  
captain67's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 218
Posts: 1,067
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aldergrove

 
DONATE TO ME
When you flash an ftf for stock, the software is signed digitally by Sony. If you flash an unsigned kernel when your bootloader is still locked, you'll get a boot loop.

Flash mode, which is what flashtool uses, is meant for applying official updates, so it's really only meant for signed, official software.

Fastboot on the other hand is for developers.

You could try making an ftf with a custom kernel, but it's basically pointless when fastboot is so easy and it won't boot unless you're unlocked anyway.
Devices

LG Nexus 4 | Stock 4.2.2

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 | Wanamlite v14

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY | JokaWild 2.5 | DooMKernel v13 -Sold

Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1 4G | Stock ICS -Sold

Firmware Collection for Xperia PLAY | Flashtool | JokaWild ROM | DooMKernel | SiyahKernel for GSII | CheckROM for GSII
 
jaickyt
Old
#13  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 30
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mumbai
Exactly..once you have unlocked bootloader,then its just a matter of seconds to change kernel..
I change and try new kernels and roms every second day.

Sent from my Xperia Play using XDA App
 
bamsbamx
Old
#14  
bamsbamx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 514
Posts: 406
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bilbo

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningdude View Post
Flashable kernels are not possible on this phone because recovery isn't on a separate partition.

Sent from my R800x using XDA
but i suppose... if we boot the complete kernel with recovery and copy it to the ram memory, we could flash flash the partition where recovery is insatelled...am i wrong??
 
MilkyJoePD
Old
#15  
MilkyJoePD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 158
Posts: 862
Join Date: Oct 2011
I can't get into fastboot mode anymore so flashing a kernel in flash mode would be useful. Ftf files flash them in flash mode.

Sent from my R800i using XDA
 
captain67
Old
#16  
captain67's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 218
Posts: 1,067
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aldergrove

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyJoePD View Post
I can't get into fastboot mode anymore so flashing a kernel in flash mode would be useful. Ftf files flash them in flash mode.

Sent from my R800i using XDA
If you can't use fastboot I'd recommend checking in the service menu, and making sure the bootloader is still unlocked. If it's not you're just gonna end up with a boot loop.
Devices

LG Nexus 4 | Stock 4.2.2

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 | Wanamlite v14

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY | JokaWild 2.5 | DooMKernel v13 -Sold

Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1 4G | Stock ICS -Sold

Firmware Collection for Xperia PLAY | Flashtool | JokaWild ROM | DooMKernel | SiyahKernel for GSII | CheckROM for GSII
 
Trooper_Max
Old
#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 143
Join Date: Jan 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsbamx View Post
but i suppose... if we boot the complete kernel with recovery and copy it to the ram memory, we could flash flash the partition where recovery is insatelled...am i wrong??
That sounds plausible to me. Just like you can run some Linux distributions live off a USB drive and then remove (or format the USB drive) - only certain ones like Puppy linux can do this though, they have to run from RAM like you're saying. Another option might be to copy the recovery (or necessary files) to the cache partition (if there is enough room) so that the recovery isn't dependent upon that partition so it can be wiped/reflashed. I'm not familiar enough with this level of Android development to know how hard this might be though - but I think it should be possible.

But it would be dangerous... if something goes wrong and your device fails in the middle of the process, the partition may be hosed, in which case you might not be able to boot at all (not into recovery or normally). You'd be hosed until you get to a computer to flash a firmware or kernel, making flashing away from a computer dangerous anyway.

So it's probably more error-prone and more hassle to implement for such small reward (it just takes one extra step with a computer to flash a kernel).

~Troop
My Phones:
HTC One (AT&T) - HTC Developer ROM
Xperia Play (AT&T) - Custom CM10 (previously used Gin2Jellybean)
Nexus One (AT&T) - CyanogenMod (Gingerbread)

Android Assortment:
Xperia Z2 Tablet
NVIDIA Shield (Tegra 4)
OUYA (Tegra 3)
Notion Ink Adam (Tegra 2 w/ full APX mode access)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper_Max For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MilkyJoePD
Old
#18  
MilkyJoePD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 158
Posts: 862
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain67 View Post
If you can't use fastboot I'd recommend checking in the service menu, and making sure the bootloader is still unlocked. If it's not you're just gonna end up with a boot loop.
It's definitely a PC problem.

Sent from my R800i using XDA
 
bamsbamx
Old
#19  
bamsbamx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 514
Posts: 406
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bilbo

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper_Max View Post
That sounds plausible to me. Just like you can run some Linux distributions live off a USB drive and then remove (or format the USB drive) - only certain ones like Puppy linux can do this though, they have to run from RAM like you're saying. Another option might be to copy the recovery (or necessary files) to the cache partition (if there is enough room) so that the recovery isn't dependent upon that partition so it can be wiped/reflashed. I'm not familiar enough with this level of Android development to know how hard this might be though - but I think it should be possible.

But it would be dangerous... if something goes wrong and your device fails in the middle of the process, the partition may be hosed, in which case you might not be able to boot at all (not into recovery or normally). You'd be hosed until you get to a computer to flash a firmware or kernel, making flashing away from a computer dangerous anyway.

So it's probably more error-prone and more hassle to implement for such small reward (it just takes one extra step with a computer to flash a kernel).

~Troop
Well, but its something... if something gone wrong,
We always are able to reflash an ftf file and restore nandroid backup... i will create a new thread in the developement forum tomorrow , and lets see if developers can make this posible
 
captain67
Old
#20  
captain67's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 218
Posts: 1,067
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aldergrove

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsbamx View Post
Well, but its something... if something gone wrong,
We always are able to reflash an ftf file and restore nandroid backup... i will create a new thread in the developement forum tomorrow , and lets see if developers can make this posible
You can't restore a nandroid with a phone that won't boot into recovery though. If something went wrong with flashing the kernel, you would be stuck until you get home before you can fix it.
Devices

LG Nexus 4 | Stock 4.2.2

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 | Wanamlite v14

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY | JokaWild 2.5 | DooMKernel v13 -Sold

Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1 4G | Stock ICS -Sold

Firmware Collection for Xperia PLAY | Flashtool | JokaWild ROM | DooMKernel | SiyahKernel for GSII | CheckROM for GSII

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...