FORUMS

OnePlus Addresses Reservation List Cheating

Jake Cooper figured out how to bump his place up on OnePlus’ reservation list and … more

OnePlus 2 Benchmark Scores Show Its Muscle

This video by FoneArena contains all the popular benchmarks being tested on the OnePlus 2, … more

Sony’s Emergence in The Middle: Is The Price Right?

Sony’s Electronics Division is not in its best days, and its smartphone … more

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

[Beta] Opera Mobile Labs - most stable browser I've used on TF201

482 posts
Thanks Meter: 113
 
By ickk, Senior Member on 18th April 2012, 10:39 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This browser has been out for a few weeks but I figured I would post it here for you guys. I've used just about every mobile browser out there and know the issues with most of them.

Stock - Not many options, slower than others, bugs here and there
Firefox - Poor desktop UA, lacks many of the add-ons that make firefox worth using.
Dolphin - Collects user data, not quite as quick as competition
Maxathon - Bulky and FC's alot
Chrome - BUGGY
Boat - Nice UI, very customisable, but choppy webpages, quick to load but not as stable.
Opera - Quick and loads pages with stable scrolling, but randomly exits alot and has some problems with flash.

Opera Mobile Labs 12 is like Opera without the exits and flash issues and the addition of desktop extensions like ghostery, noscript, etc. For ages I've been asking, why can't Android have a single browser that doesn't suck in one way or another, so far it looks like my prayers have been answered. I'm mostly surprised it's a beta build. Let me know what you think.

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/e...a-mobile-labs/
Last edited by ickk; 18th April 2012 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ickk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
18th April 2012, 10:53 PM |#2  
Jonphinguyen7's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 184
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickkii

This browser has been out for a few weeks but I figured I would post it here for you guys. I've used just about every mobile browser out there and know the issues with most of them.

Stock - Not many options, slower than others, bugs here and there
Firefox - Poor desktop UA, lacks many of the add-ons that make firefox worth using.
Dolphin - Collects user data, not quite as quick as competition
Maxathon - Bulky and FC's alot
Chrome - BUGGY
Boat - Nice UI, very customisable, but choppy webpages, quick to load but not as stable.
Opera - Quick and loads pages with stable scrolling, but randomly exits alot and has some problems with flash.

Opera Mobile Labs 12 is like Opera without the exits and flash issues and the addition of desktop extensions like ghostery, noscript, etc. For ages I've been asking, why can't Android have a single browser that doesn't suck in one way or another, so far it looks like my prayers have been answered. I'm mostly surprised it's a beta build. Let me know what you think.

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/e...a-mobile-labs/

Sweet Heard about this on AndroidPolice.com. Gonna try it out Thanks
18th April 2012, 11:38 PM |#3  
dude6595's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 279
 
More
Does seem to be "snappier", thanks for the heads up

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app
19th April 2012, 01:21 AM |#4  
ickk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 113
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonphinguyen7

Sweet Heard about this on AndroidPolice.com. Gonna try it out Thanks

Same here. Only one problem I noticed that i forgot about in OP, sometimes saving images will create .webp files instead of .jpg, .png, etc. Just change the extension to whatever and it's fine.
19th April 2012, 01:23 AM |#5  
ickk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 113
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude6595

Does seem to be "snappier", thanks for the heads up

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

With opera I've noticed the loading bar moves a little slower, but the pages load fully. Compared to boat, the loading bar moves fast, but only the banner displays after the page loads and then there's some lag time waiting for the rest of the page to load.
19th April 2012, 11:14 PM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
flash performance is a the best out there!
but scrolling still feels like 15 frps and a lot of the web pages do not fit the screen width... otherwise great improvement!!
20th April 2012, 03:49 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
This opera isnt smooth - ics browser plus and dolphin hd are much better then opera lab.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app
21st April 2012, 02:06 AM |#8  
rndmnss's Avatar
Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Thanks. Trying it now...
21st April 2012, 04:02 AM |#9  
Keion's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Danville, California
Thanks Meter: 350
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibo666

This opera isnt smooth - ics browser plus and dolphin hd are much better then opera lab.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Lolwut have you been smoking I know its weed day but still. No, I'm just kidding but I didn't experience any lag with this opera and I'm normally underclocked to around 800 MHz quadcore.

Sent from my tf9001 with XDA XD.
21st April 2012, 02:01 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 107
 
More
Scrolling in this version is still choppy. In fact its the laggiest browser on TP.
24th April 2012, 07:05 AM |#11  
stanglifemike's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag outside of ATL, GA
Thanks Meter: 455
 
More
THANK YOU for sharing!! I didn't even know about this. Opera is my default browser on my laptop, and Opera Mobile on my Evo 3D and Prime. Really really excited about trying this on my Prime!!!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes