Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,845 Members 50,648 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No Reason Why this Feature is not available from ICS or Chrome beta browser for ICS 4

Tip us?

the_game_master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Default No Reason Why this Feature is not available from ICS or Chrome beta browser for ICS 4

but yet it still is. :| providing further reason to stay with Windows.

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
Why not just use another method? There are tons of apps for android to allow you to make free phone calls from the prime. There might be a way around doing it through browser. I never really messed with the Google one.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

the_game_master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
I wouldn't be waisting my time complaining here if there was other alternates. there is no other service out there that offers free VOIP phone calls through the US except Google's phone through Gmail.

Google Gmail phone is the first of its kind that I seen since the old phonefree.com and Net2Phone offering free VOIP calls, although those had limits, Google has no limits for US callers.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is not available to a Google Android operating system. If they at the very least designed Chrome Beta like the Windows Chrome browser, the service would be available. But no!!! Chrome Beta and ICS Browser are like imitation browsers compared to the browsers on the Windows platform that these services are usable on.

Old
Thanks Meter 16
Because carriers dont want you to be able to easily make voip calls they want you to buy more minutes from them. Androids sucess and profitability depends on the carriers selling phones running android.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA
I really miss windows mobile sometimes.

Transformer Prime with Dock
Samsung Galaxy Note II (sprint)
The Following User Says Thank You to 6666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r0ck0
Old
Thanks Meter 26
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...blabs.grooveip
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0ck0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

varun124
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
+1

The "gmail phone" you speak of is an extension of google voice. Sign up for a google voice number and login with your google id on the grooveip app.

Voila! free calls to US/Canada from anywhere in the world.

I live in Dubai and use it to call my GF in New york all the time.

Col.Kernel
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Gee, it's too bad there are no alternatives that allow you to make free VOIP calls.

Something like SIPDroid sure would be handy. Well if you can't get SIPDroid on your Prime maybe there is another possibility (or 5).

Maybe if you'd ask about something rather than just gripe and moan, assuming that it can't be done, you'd get some assistance rather than a dose of sarcasm.

You might not want to try to set up a SIP provider though. It will take some research, some reading, and you might have to <gasp> Google for some information. Nevermind the possibility of searching on XDA for information.

People say I'm critical, but that's part of critical thinking. That's a skill you may want to try to develop.

the_game_master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
^
You never heard the saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
+1

thanks! this looks like it will do.

pileot
Old
Thanks Meter 185

DONATE TO ME
sorry, im with Kernel on this one.... complaining about **** is not the way to get help. If you had instead posted something like "Hey guys! any of you know how to make free VOIP calls through android like i can through gmail on my computer?" that might have yeilded some results. or just GOOGLE voip calls through android and you get dozens of results.

Instead you come here and cry because its not already done for you. Sorry, no sympathy from me. There ARE ways to get help, this is not one of them.
If what I said was remotely helpful the thanks button is right there, only takes a second.

the_game_master
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileot View Post
sorry, im with Kernel on this one.... complaining about **** is not the way to get help. If you had instead posted something like "Hey guys! any of you know how to make free VOIP calls through android like i can through gmail on my computer?" that might have yeilded some results. or just GOOGLE voip calls through android and you get dozens of results.

Instead you come here and cry because its not already done for you. Sorry, no sympathy from me. There ARE ways to get help, this is not one of them.
crying about someone else crying is real good too right. GTFO.