OP lionclaw

18th April 2012, 07:07 PM   |  #101  
Flag Morristown, NJ
Thanks Meter: 1

81 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberarmy

This is awesome works great using my Samsung vibrant as the server. I used SQL editor with no problems, really easy mod. Thanks

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Could you please provide the steps using SQL editor. Whenever I use SQL editor to change the com.android.providers.settings /settings.db/ secure/ locations_providers_allowed-network suffixed with,gps and save-after reboot the ,gps is lost. I would like to have ,gps permanently added.

Thanks
19th April 2012, 12:06 AM   |  #102  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 12

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassebaum2

Not a dig on lionclaw. I was trying to do this exactly as shown in the directions, but as the others have said here, we get permissions errors. I found it was easier to use root explorer to navigate to the path: (This is assuming your device has already been rooted, if not you will need to accomplish this before proceeding)

/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/

1. create a copy and save it in a different folder. (it won't allow you to save in the same location). Rename the new copy to settings.bak Then move the settings.db back to the originating folder.

I used SQL Lite Editor (download from Android Market or web) to manipulate the settings:

navigate to Settings Storage (com.android.providers.settings)
tap on settings.db
tap on secure
tap on the menu button
tap new record
enter the "mock_location" for the name (no quotes)
enter "1" for value
tap save

You will need to reboot the Kindle Fire to allow it to take effect. Good luck to all!

Here is the first step.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
19th April 2012, 12:13 AM   |  #103  
Flag San Diego

129 posts
More
Second part

Make sure your wifi tether is working on your phone and GPS is turned on.

3) Installed google maps and tetherGPS on my kindle.
4) On my phone I turn on wifi tether and run tetherGPS and start the server.
5) On my kindle I connect to my phones wifi, then I start tetherGPS on my kindle and click start client.
6) I start google maps and it found my location. So I can use Navigation.[/QUOTE]

I just followed the directions.

19th April 2012, 01:47 AM   |  #104  
Flag Morristown, NJ

81 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberarmy

Here is the first step.

Thanks for the step 1. I had done that to get mock locations fix. Now when I try the same method to add GPS after network to eliminate GPS error, the settings.db allows me to navigate. However if I reboot KF, the saved file appears without the word GPS added. Do you have any idea how to make KF to retain such settings?
19th April 2012, 02:15 AM   |  #105  
Flag San Diego

129 posts
More
I think this is beyond what i know and maybe someone can chime in and help out. So far ive had no problems with it. Sorry I could not be of more help.
8th May 2012, 11:46 PM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 363

1,922 posts
a 5 minute gps is pretty worthless. I only see a lite version in the market. Is there another program that does this?

Edit - I see it is a carrier restriction that I don't have the full version in the Android market. Amazon has it listed for my phone though. Too bad I cannot get it working on my ICS roms though.
Last edited by Evo_Shift; 9th May 2012 at 05:41 AM.
13th May 2012, 10:41 AM   |  #107  

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siafu

This is awesome! Now if we can get the Bluetooth working on the KF then I can use my BT GPS. For now this will work!

Some claimed that KF has the chip with BT capability, but some posting said that it's not true. Is there any prove on which claim is true?
16th May 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #108  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 3

61 posts
More
I am running Kindle Fire with gedeROM v1.35 and while i have mock locations enabled in the ROM's settings, the tetherGPS client running, i am not receiving the location from my Droid4 which has a clear gps signal... Any ideas if this app even works on an ICS rom on kindle?
16th May 2012, 05:36 PM   |  #109  
Flag Colton, NY
Thanks Meter: 984

3,233 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsohn

Some claimed that KF has the chip with BT capability, but some posting said that it's not true. Is there any prove on which claim is true?

There is not a BT chip in the Fire, it has been verified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamakevin

I am running Kindle Fire with gedeROM v1.35 and while i have mock locations enabled in the ROM's settings, the tetherGPS client running, i am not receiving the location from my Droid4 which has a clear gps signal... Any ideas if this app even works on an ICS rom on kindle?

I'm on Hash's ICS ROM and I'm having the same issue as you, have you contacted the dev to see if it is supposed to be compatible with ICS?
16th May 2012, 09:47 PM   |  #110  
Flag San Antonio TX
Thanks Meter: 1,061

4,873 posts
More
I am on Hellfire ICS and cannot connect to the the wifi tether. I guess it's an ICS rom limitation?

Got it to work using the native(built into my rom I am using) and using that wifi hotspot and running mapquest like the other user a few pages back ago did. This seems to work but I haven't tried using it as a navi yet.
Last edited by kpjimmy; 18th May 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread