5,600,123 Members 42,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Guide: Remove the Screen Protector for improved clarity, brightness and color palette

Tip us?

hogaburger
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski View Post
How is the "underscreen" for durability? Gorrila Glasslike or no? 'Cause if that gets scratched then we're really pooched.

I find that the original protector is decent for scratches from normal use (dirty hands, fingernails ect) but if you try to scratch it or have kids playing games then it marks up readily. Mine has a few very small scratches only noticeable at night watching videos and I am very careful with it.

If I remove the protector is it safe to use without or should another be applied? Kinds defeats the purpose right? Or is it just more durable but less shatter proof?
More durable but less shatter proof is a good way to put it. It's not quite gorilla glass quality, but its pretty sturdy and would take a lot of neglect to scratch. I'm more afraid of dropping it now though.

DreadPirateDan
Old
Thanks Meter 110
All the positive posts about the after affects of this are so tempting to do it myself... But I'm pretty sure that I'm too clumsy to be trusted with a vulnerable screen it'd probably be shattered in a week

anurbanlegend
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Thanks for the guide. Just removed mine today and put on a matte 3rd party and it is so much easier to see and use.

Getting the corner started to get it off was a pain tho! There were a few times I wanted to stop before really screwing it up, but after about 15 minutes finally got it to pop up off the corner, then it peeled off easy after that.
-T-Mobile LG G2
-Nexus 7 - 4.4 Stock/Rooted
-HTC Sensation, HTC MyTouch 3g, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Mogul, HTC Dash
-NookColor, Archos 70IT

Mahaco
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Default Confirmed

I did it with a little kitchen knife and I removed it in not even a minute the pulling off was a hard thing to do tough,
I was affraid to pull the sceen in pieces but it didn't so I am happy now.
The only thing is that the glass is rough now but I think that will be gone soon after using it a little more.

Conclusion :

Is it brighter
- Yeah a little.
Is it worth it ?
- After some scratches - Yes.
- Before that - I dont think so.

Smooth ?
- No not exactly.
Cathair ?
- Not anymore

Bye now

jb2001
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Have any of you guys got a capacitive stylus that you can try with out this factory protector, I'm sure your all aware of the issues with capacitive stylus and the sony tab screen ie their bloody useless ...and it would be interesting to see if the capacitive stylus' worked better without this layer.
Previous Devices :-
HP Jornada 548;- Toshiba e540;- Dell Axim X5;- HP iPAQ HX4700
HTC Hermes/Tytn;- HTC Tytn II/Kaiser;- HTC Touch HD/Blackstone;-
Blackberry Curve 8520 (what was I thinking);- Amazon Kindle 3

Current Devices :-
iPhone 3GS - 8Gb - IOS6 (Stock) - soon to be iPhone 5
Sony Tablet S 16Gb Android 4.0.3 (Stock) kernel 2.6.39.4

eus107709
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2001 View Post
Have any of you guys got a capacitive stylus that you can try with out this factory protector, I'm sure your all aware of the issues with capacitive stylus and the sony tab screen ie their bloody useless ...and it would be interesting to see if the capacitive stylus' worked better without this layer.
I would love to know the answer to this too. That's my primary motivation for removing the screen.

cobaltlantern
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Yes and no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2001 View Post
I just did this tonight and tested it out with my skiva cheap capacitative stylus.

It is better response, but still does not feel awesome. I tested it in sketchbook mobile, and had so-so results. I adjusted the setting in the app for using a pen input, and it worked better, but still is tough to slide over the glass, requiring more force to maintain contact. Additionally, I found that while drawing lines, the tablet appeared to lag and take a while to display the input.

I am going to install a third party screen protector, and see if that has less friction before I give a full pass/fail.

eus107709
Old
Thanks Meter 8
My wife didn't have the patience to wait for an answer on the stylus question, so she removed it to find out for herself. Here's what we found out:

1.) The needle trick.. brilliant! The whole process took a couple of minutes. Use the needle to slowly peel back the plastic. Start at the corner (obviously).

2.) That screen protector is VERY thick and strong. No wonder the stylus input wasn't being picked up properly.

3.) Screen: MUCH BETTER. There is no question. Shouldn't even be up for debate. Right before we took this off, we were looking at photos. More clear, brighter.

4.) Touch input: Dramatically better. I have two stylus (styli?), a cheapo and an expensive one, both work great on it now. Even light strokes with the pen register now. If you need to apply a ton of pressure to draw straight lines, then you need to remove the plastic. Try with Draw Something and SBMX. So. Much. Better.

I'm sure there was a reason Sony put this piece of plastic on, but I feel I'm finally using the tablet to its potential. Pro far outweighs con.
The Following User Says Thank You to eus107709 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theboyrob
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Maybe I was lucky, mine came off within 20 seconds!

Didn't seem to be stuck down much, no sticky residue left behind!
The Following User Says Thank You to theboyrob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jacobuscuracao
Old
(Last edited by jacobuscuracao; 11th July 2012 at 02:28 PM.) Reason: touch and hold setting
Thanks Meter 310
I used a hook from a dental hygienist - got an edge from one of the rounded edges within seconds and within 20 seconds the thick plastic was pulled off - no residue left at all.

thanks guys!

initial experience confirms screen is much brighter but especially it no longer takes a swipe as a tap, which was my biggest problem to begin with.

I am happy!

another setting mentioned by Kermit33 in another thread:
"Today, I noticed that we have a possibility to set the sensibilty in our settings. Just go to input help (probably not the correct word... mine is german. It's the setting with the hand as a symbol). Within, there is a setting called something like touchscreen gestures. My tablet was default set to short. I changed it and now I don't experience the zoom issue anymore."
the option is actually "accessibility", then "touch and hold delay" - change from short to medium and see what happens

Tags
glass, protective film, screen protector, tablet s, xperia play