Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Modification] CPU, Ram and other IC Cooling for OCers

Tip us?

whitewindhtc
Old
(Last edited by whitewindhtc; 18th April 2012 at 05:31 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Modification] CPU, Ram and other IC Cooling for OCers

Warning: Attempt this modification at your own discretion. I am not responsible for any damages which may occur.

After attempting to OC my phone, I noticed hot spots when stressing my CPU at 1.4ghz. Looking at the anatomy of my phone (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...eardown/7122/1), I noticed the structural mid-plate is a metallic alloy. This modification tries to cool the CPU and other heat generating ICs by using the phone's mid-plate and EMI shielding as a heatsink.

Test:
CPU stressed for 10 Min at 1.4ghz starting from a minimum cooled state. Application: “Stability Test”
Before Mod: 53oC (127.5oF) at 7 min 48 sec (I cut the test short as I did not want to overheat my phone)
After Mod: 43oC (109.5oF) at 10 min 10 sec

Procedure:
1. Teardown your phone as per the ifixit.com site and extract the mainboard.
2. Remove the simcard & MicroSD EMI Shield
3. Apply thermal compound to all the raised ICs. This allows the EMI shield to act as a small heatsink.
4. Reinstall EMI Shield and press down firmly to allow proper contact with the thermal compound
5. On the other side of the mainboard, liberally apply thermal compound onto the exposed ICs as per the pictures. Note: There is a relatively large gap between the surface of the ICs and the mid-plate.
6. Reinstall mainboard and press firmly against the mid-plate. If the thermal compound is making contact with the midplate then there should be some slight resistance when trying to lift the mainboard. If there is no resistance, then you will need to apply more thermal compound.
7. Install remaining components and close up your phone.

I used Arctic Silver 5 as I had some laying around. It is probably better to use a non metallic thermal compound, but I have yet to experience any problems with electric components.

My phone has been modded for about 2 weeks, running @ 1.5ghz and I have yet to experience any ill effects with operating system or with the OLED screen.

Though this mod is reversible, it may be messy cleaning up the thermal compound from your phone.

Happy Modding
Attached Files
File Type: docx i9000 Cooling Mod Pics.docx - [Click for QR Code] (795.7 KB, 651 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to whitewindhtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PatcheZ
Old
Thanks Meter 18
interesting idea...
although it sounds like your just trying to squish as much pb&j between the plate and the ic's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewindhtc View Post
I used Arctic Silver 5 as I had some laying around. It is probably better to use a non metallic thermal compound, but I have yet to experience any problems with electric components.
indeed, i've never had trouble with AS5 but would probably go with a non metallic compound for this.

PS wow, that's a LOT of AS5... must have cost you $5 just in compound just to do that

whitewindhtc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Either way, conduction is almost always better than convection in terms of cooling a heat source. It might be a little messy, but the mod is quite effective.

The amount of thermal compound is quite a bit, but I wanted to ensure that I made contact with the 'heatsink'. There are many cheaper thermal compound alternatives than AS5, but I ran out of the generic white stuff.

evil_fish
Old
Thanks Meter 3
very good idea.. thanks for sharing. do you think using thermal pad in this case would be better solution than thermal compound? or do think that thermal pad. won't work?

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
After a lot of flashes, I happen to always come back to stock roms.

Owned/owning Androids:
HTC Tattoo (Nice and cheap little one introduced me to the Android)
Samsung Galaxy S I9000
Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000
Aigo pad e700(rubbish)
Nexus S i9023

PS: If I happen to be able to help you out. Please give me a thanks button.

whitewindhtc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Although thermal pads would be cleaner, they are also more difficult to use in this application due to the variation in gap spacing between the component and heatsink.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

R4DK0
Old
(Last edited by R4DK0; 18th May 2013 at 03:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Wanted to fix the GPS antenna connector, ended doing this aswell, although just RAM and CPU. The amount of thermal grease is really enourmous for a proper contact. To anyone who will do this aswell, take your time, its not hard, just be patient

NDeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
wow, great!
Btw, in which kernel you use OC 1.5ghz?

darkknigh_t
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDeaz View Post
wow, great!
Btw, in which kernel you use OC 1.5ghz?
Devil kernel can do that

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

NDeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 4
1.5ghz it's 1400mhz*107%liveoc? or what?
P.S. interesting to see benchmark results on 1.5ghz

jorgemiguel4
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thank you for the idea. Just done that with thermal pads since it's more clean.