Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM+Kernel] Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1

Tip us?

captaincrook
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Sounds like you're running with non-default Android lowmemkiller settings. Superscript V6 and some other apps will change the default to leave more free memory available for loading apps/games that require lots of memory faster. The downside it keeps a lot of memory free all the time instead of using them to cache apps in the background. I recommend not messing with that and just use default Android settings for most users.
I don't use any scripts of the sort. I check in periodically to see how much RAM is free and its usually 220-260MB, which I do not like. I'd prefer for the phone to use more RAM and not have the phone so "empty", so to speak. The internal task killer is very aggressive.

I have checked where the default OOM groupings were, and the phone by default drops nearly every single app into the last slot (empty applications) which I see to be a noticeable problem. In a scenario like this, SuperCharger would come in handy, but I must first check and see if I can get the ROM to use more RAM, then tackle the groupings.

It makes no sense to have my browser killed so often, when there's clearly enough free RAM in the system to keep it open.

If anyone else can check, maybe after a few hours or so of use, periodically check your free RAM. I can't get mine to even get close to what I would consider low (say, 40MB), which was easily obtainable in Froyo. Probably why I felt some drastic performance issues there between Froyo and IHO with IHO constantly reloading apps.
T-Mobile G1 - CM5 + 15MB Radio Port [Retired To Tether Usage]

Motorola Cliq XT - GroovyG's Flawless 2.1 [Sold]

LG Optimus V - Latest CM7 Mirage/CM9 Testing [Play Phone]

Motorola Defy [GREEN LENS] - CM7 built by Fuzz [Traded]

HTC MyTouch 4G - Syndicate AOSPX [Sold]

LG Optimus L9 - Stock [Sold]

LG NEXUS 4 - PURITY ROM

jawz101
Old
(Last edited by jawz101; 19th April 2012 at 02:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvall View Post
so.. no need for me to check for changes i made that would harm battery life?
I'd use the same advice franco uses on his kernel which is to tell users to use it for a few days before commenting on battery drain.

My opinion on it too is It's an initial reaction for everyone to say there's battery drain moreso after upgrading my Rom. My gas mileage also seemed to drop on my last car every time I added an aftermarket tune, cold air intake, cut outs... etc. Surely it couldn't be because I was immediately using my car more afterwards?

Literally after every flash I'm on my phone for the next few hours dicking with it. The battery drains a bit out of character for a while.

I step away from the mic to breathe through my nose
The Following User Says Thank You to jawz101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingermtb View Post
Running Jerry's lateset with tvall's kernel is a match made in heaven!
I'm curious to try tvall's kernel, but I'm confused as to WHEN I need to apply it. Can I apply it to an existing "Jerry"--or do I need to do a complete wipe/flash ROM/apply kernel/restore apps sequence?

I'm using apps2sd in my current Jerry build--would I omit that given the '...to-sd' features of tvall's kernel?
SPH-L710
The Following User Says Thank You to wilberfan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tvall
Old
(Last edited by tvall; 19th April 2012 at 06:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
I'm curious to try tvall's kernel, but I'm confused as to WHEN I need to apply it. Can I apply it to an existing "Jerry"--or do I need to do a complete wipe/flash ROM/apply kernel/restore apps sequence?

I'm using apps2sd in my current Jerry build--would I omit that given the '...to-sd' features of tvall's kernel?
flash it whenever (after you have a rom installed)

and kernels dont do anything with any *2sd setup (besides file system drivers), so what you have should still run the same

and after i get a little more work done on my kernel and rom, i'll probably make a thread here for them so people dont have to check other forums
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:
DREAMTeam Froyo, United ICS, and tvall's cm7

misc:
the first chromecast system image without bootloader updates or auto updating - obsolete

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and electronics
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
(Last edited by wilberfan; 19th April 2012 at 09:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingermtb View Post
There's several apps out there you can use to switch scheduler. I use CPU Master. I use it for the overclocking and to set CPU profiles also. You can switch scheduler under advanced tab. Pay app, but well worth it, and very easy to use with a simple user interface.
I'd love to hear your opinions on any scheduler, IO settings, cpu speeds (etc) you find optimal or desirable...

[edit] Anyone remember what the 'stock' minimum cpu setting is? I know the stock max is 600...
SPH-L710

tvall
Old
Thanks Meter 797
Quote:
I'd love to hear your opinions on any scheduler, IO settings, cpu speeds (etc) you find optimal or desirable...

[edit] Anyone remember what the 'stock' minimum cpu setting is? I know the stock max is 600...
245 or somethin
my work
optimus v:
iho magpie

dream/sapphire:
DREAMTeam Froyo, United ICS, and tvall's cm7

misc:
the first chromecast system image without bootloader updates or auto updating - obsolete

If you'd like to donate to me, i accept bitcoins and electronics
BTC - 1titsVyrUw8pGEDF6Jqdh56cZjBRYAQjQ

Raul027
Old
Thanks Meter 37
480/600

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Raul027 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captaincrook
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:

Stock settings are 600 max 245 min.

SIO should be better for flash devices, but I have not read too much onto it. BFQ works really well on the desktop, so I go with that for now.

Also I use stock speeds to help avoid heating up, along with a good scaling governor like ondemand (maybe with some tweaks) and Smartassv2. I did runs of 729/480 on Froyo and that worked relatively well.

I'd spinoff into a big post of what speeds to use but it really depends on your usage patterns. I don't believe ANYONE should be using the really high settings (800+, or even more than 748) due to the heat, and of course the governor will matter there as well. Something like interactive will keep yourself at the higher speeds to minimize lag and making your battery drain much faster. Example being, I can read a web page and interactive will mostly keep me at high speeds with the scrolling between and pressed and such. Ondemand will scale me down until I do something usually, so the actual reading part will be at the lowest speed. Interactive does scale down yes, but at a slower pace than ondemand.

Most governors are tweak-able in SetCPU. I myself am privy to OnDemand and Conservative, with conservative being slower to ramp up speeds, being easier on the battery. Using conservative help the battery at the cost of some performance, but its a minor trade off if you can tweak it to ramp up a little bit faster under load.
T-Mobile G1 - CM5 + 15MB Radio Port [Retired To Tether Usage]

Motorola Cliq XT - GroovyG's Flawless 2.1 [Sold]

LG Optimus V - Latest CM7 Mirage/CM9 Testing [Play Phone]

Motorola Defy [GREEN LENS] - CM7 built by Fuzz [Traded]

HTC MyTouch 4G - Syndicate AOSPX [Sold]

LG Optimus L9 - Stock [Sold]

LG NEXUS 4 - PURITY ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to captaincrook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilberfan
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrook View Post
Most governors are tweak-able in SetCPU. I myself am privy to OnDemand and Conservative, with conservative being slower to ramp up speeds, being easier on the battery. Using conservative help the battery at the cost of some performance, but its a minor trade off if you can tweak it to ramp up a little bit faster under load.
Sorry to be such a noob, but where (and what values) would you insert in SetCPU or CPUMaster to achieve that "ramp up a little faster under load" setting?
SPH-L710

moore.bryan
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Strange happenings with my home button on the latest Mirage; it doesn't work.

Sent from my IHO phone