Thanks Meter 1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Live Free or Die
Originally Posted by demarcmj
I have to disagree... the Inc 4G is a massive upgrade over the Rezound (again, unless the 4" screen is a non starter).
- The difference performance-wise from the S3 to the S4 should be like night and day.
- The S4 will also greatly improve battery life, so it's a double plus.
- The camera on the Incredible 4G should be amazing. Initial reports from the people who have supplied the leaked photos suggest that it will likely have the same caliber camera as on the One X/S series.
- In addition to the performance, features, and battery gains, it will also be thinner and lighter than the Rezound (which IMHO is a bit brick-ish)
- The Inc 4G also has NFC and Bluetooth 4.0. These may not be important for someone today, but they may be good to have if you plan on keeping your phone for the full 2 year contract (as I imagine most people do)
- I think the ICS/Sense 4 without having to root is a big plus too. It may not be as important for folks here on xda, but as far as recommending phones to others goes... that is big. Even here on XDA, I imagine I'm probably not the only person who waits for the warranty to expire before messing around with rooting and such.
Yes, the Rezound does have bigger internal storage, but microSD cards are super cheap so it's not really a factor. Most phones that support microSD (the Incr 4G does too) support up to 32GB on the card, so you can get up to 40GB on the Inc 4G. Sure, that means you can get 48 with the Rezound, but I'm guessing only a small percentage of people fall into the 40GB isn't enough, but 48GB is camp.
Really, the only reason why anyone should get the Rezound is for the screen or the price. Price is the only reason I even mentioned it in the first place (because the OP wanted to save some money). FWIW though, rumors on the price of the Inc 4G put it perhaps at $150, which even after Verizon's new $30 upgrade charge would be less than the original Inc cost.
Not trying to hate on the Rezound... it's a great phone. I'm just taking issue with the "doesn't seem like it would be a massive upgrade " part of the comment. As long as you're OK with the 4" screen (which a lot of people are, and a lot of people have been begging for) then the Rezound doesn't even compare.
EDIT: I'm with you on the 4 buttons though. I don't really care about menu that much, since most devs are starting to get with the program and include the menu option on screen (via action bar overflow, or some other method). The loss of the search button, though, is devastating. It essentially killed Google Voice Actions for me. I would've rather seen on-screen buttons than the cap buttons. That way, devs could add my search button back in for me.
My previous post and the line you quoted wasn't intending to diminish the Incredible 4G, more to ask what I was missing. A lot of the items you listed like performance gains, battery life, size and feel are hard to get a feel for "how much" from reading the quick previews on Engadget and the like, especially given my perspective of feeling the Rezound is so much faster with such a nicer screen compared to the original Incredible I just replaced.
I mostly questioned how much of an upgrade it would be when I read about the screen resolution, being one of the things that impresses me most about the Rezound. There is obviously more to the story.
Thank you for the insight.