Droid 4 Update

Search This thread

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus

duffman452001

Nov 26, 2009
On the D3, I would switch to non-safe system, apply the update in recovery, reboot, re-root, reinstall safestrap recovery from the safestrap app, reboot into safestrap, switch back to safe and everything was peachy. No need to even reinstall safe system as everything was still there. Did it twice for the 905 and 906 updates, dont see why it would be any different for the D4

EDIT: the only difference I may have is that I keep my non-safe system stock, I dont freeze/remove bloat, just root.

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
Glad to see wifi is on the list of bug fixes. I haven't been able to connect to my work wick, and my home wifi drops all the time (tethering from phone works perfectly though,go figure).

I probably will wait until this officially drops, though. Bleh, why no fastboot files yet?!

teookie

Feb 5, 2011
Just rebooted after applying the update. I'm running stock ROM. I unfroze everything I had frozen, hid root w/ Voodoo OTA, rebooted, did a backup (just in case), applied the update, restored root with Voodoo OTA and everything appears to be working.

Hope this really does fix the wifi problem. Been having some problems with the wifi here at work.

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Took the plunge. I was running stock rooted with voodoo rootkeeper and safestrap recovery installed. Here are the steps I took:

1. Unfroze apps I had frozen in Titanium Backup.

2. Uninstalled safestrap recovery via the safestrap app (Shouldn't need to uninstall the app itself).

3. Backed up Superuser using Voodoo then selected "temp. un-root".

4. Rebooted and installed the update via the instructions from the link (FYI: You will need to have the update zip in /sdcard-ext, not /sdcard).

5. Rebooted and the phone shows the updated software version.

6. Restored root via Voodoo.

7. Reinstalled safestrap recovery using the safestrap app.

Success!

teookie

Feb 5, 2011
Wifi still dropping off randomly. I don't think this phone likes the 802.1xEAP security they are using here. Droid incredible worked just fine on it though.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

redddog

Jul 27, 2011
Do you have to remove root to apply this?

I wonder why it was posted and then removed? Anyone?

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
You have to use voodoo root keeper. If you flash the update without voodoo root keeper you will lose root. But motofail still works so you can always reroot

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

DevilDaHusky

Feb 7, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
i just got an update today but it downloads 215 not 219.

CAP201204191638.jpg

Sent from my DRIOD 4 Husky Edition

Last edited:

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
Question:

I updated my original, non-safe system just fine. Kept root, reinstalled safestrap no problems. However, upon switching back to my safe-system it loads the safe-system before the update. I don't know how to reset my 2nd system to match the non-safe system, and I don't dare trying to install the update while using safestrap. Is there anyway to get this updated system to carry over to my safe-system? Or do I need to wait until someone makes a ROM to flash?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID4 using telepathy

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Question:

I updated my original, non-safe system just fine. Kept root, reinstalled safestrap no problems. However, upon switching back to my safe-system it loads the safe-system before the update. I don't know how to reset my 2nd system to match the non-safe system, and I don't dare trying to install the update while using safestrap. Is there anyway to get this updated system to carry over to my safe-system? Or do I need to wait until someone makes a ROM to flash?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID4 using telepathy

I assume you are running stock GB on your non-safe system then? If that is the case the easiest way I could see to update it to the new software version would be to make a backup of your non-safe system, then flash that to your safe system, just don't wipe data and it shouldn't mess up your current configuration.

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
I assume you are running stock GB on your non-safe system then? If that is the case the easiest way I could see to update it to the new software version would be to make a backup of your non-safe system, then flash that to your safe system, just don't wipe data and it shouldn't mess up your current configuration.

Yeah, stock Motoblur on the latest update. I had considered that, but wasn't sure I could flash a non-safe backup to the safe system. I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
So I tried just that, restoring the non-safe backup to the safe system. Everything transfered over, apps, data, etc. Except, the safe system is still on the original .215, not .219...

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I don't know then. That was my best guess. Not sure why it wouldn't work. You made a fresh backup of your non-safe system after the update and flashed that, right?

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
Yes, and I'm confused as well. One would think the ability to transition between ROMs switching GB and ICS, a simple little upgrade would work as well. I guess I'll wait for a ROM version or something, not that I really need this update, I just like being on top of things.

redddog

Jul 27, 2011
Does anyone have the 6.13.219.XT894 patch instead of the 6.13.215.XT894 patch that is floating around?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The download has been pulled anyone have this file they can upload elsewhere?

http://db.tt/YIiI5SU3

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA
    Fastboot/Stock Recovery

To reset the data/cache you need to load into fastboot recovery. To do so:

1. Turn off your Droid 4
    2. Power on your Droid 4 while holding both volume keys in
    3. Your Droid 4 will boot into Fastboot (black and whit menu)
    4. It sounds funny, but press volume down, and then volume up and the screen will change to the motorola dual core logo(like 30 seconds), then load the android with a caution sign.
    5. At the android caution screen, simultaneously press the volume up and down buttons.
    6. Voila, you are in stock recovery, and you can wipe data/cache, or apply OTA updates manually. The volume keys control "UP" and "DOWN", whereas the power button acts as "ENTER"

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Basically what I did though, was mess around until I got the unroot exploit to make my superuser.apk dissappear. That is the key, once you are completely unrooted with no superuser.apk, you should be able to run the root exploit again.
    I wonder.... when you run the exploits, are you making sure your phone is in charge-only mode, and the screen is unlocked and on. Also, when it reboots, make sure to unlock your screen as well. I know it sounds silly, but hey, I felt it was hopeless in your situation and got root back, so GOOD LUCK!
    I'm new to this, what do you mean "fix the permissions?" My phone is rooted, so is this something that has to do with Superuser, or the build.prop itself?
    Ahh sorry I didn't reply quicker, just got back from dinner. If you notice when you look at the build.prop file in Root Explorer, it will have "permissions" listed next to it. The permissions for the build.prop file should be "rw-r--r--" but rumgool's file has permissions "---rwxr-x"

When you copy it over to the system folder, click "Mount R/W" then paste/overwrite the build.prop file, then long press the file and click "Permissions." Make sure all three boxes under the "Read" column are checked, and also that the first box (Owner) under "Write" is checked, and everything else is unchecked, then press OK.

Then make sure the permissions for the build.prop file now say "rw-r--r--" and hit the "Mount R/O" button.

Let us know if that helps