5,599,478 Members 38,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Considering a xoom, still a good option?

Tip us?

glock20c
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmako777 View Post
based on your guys opinions here and elsewhere, i ordered the xoom and should have it in my hands tomorrow. really excited about this device! i even changed my sig already
I think you'll be Happy...got one three weeks ago for 300.00 and it was the best
300.00 I spent in a while...the main reason for me buying the Xoom was the
great DEV support that comes with it...hope you enjoy yours
S4..Rooted

Xoom.......... running Jelly Bean CM10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to glock20c For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rubber guard
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I paid 480 for mine, but pound for pound, i like it more than my desktop, evo, big screen, etc.
In My Pocket/Bag
LG Nexus 5 - stock 4.4.2
Asus Nexus 7 3G - stock 4.4.2

In My Nightstand
Motorola XOOM - OmniRom 4.4.2
HTC EVO 4G LTE - Stock 4.3
Apple iPhone 4S - Stock 7.1

Retired
Nokia 3588i > Samsung SPH-A740 > LG Muziq LX570 > Blackberry Tour 9630 > HTC EVO 4G (rooted 4.3)
Logitech REVUE- Stock 3.2

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmako777 View Post
based on your guys opinions here and elsewhere, i ordered the xoom and should have it in my hands tomorrow. really excited about this device! i even changed my sig already
Good choice! Enjoy!
Transformer Infinity 32Gb - JB 4.1.1
ROM: CROMI v4.4 with _that kernel
Nexus 7 32Gb - JB 4.2.2
ROM: between sparksco's sabremod and sbdags' CROMi with M-kernel
SGS2 Epic 4G Touch - JB 4.2.2
ROM: Evervolv, Baked or Magical Unicorn
Xoom WiFi - JB 4.2.1
ROM: EOS 4 Wingray Nightly 180
Rockin' TWRP Touch Recovery on everything!

When someone--anyone--helps you, give them a THANKS!
The Following User Says Thank You to okantomi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghodzilla5150
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I agree, good choice. I bought the WiFi Version the day it came out and have no need for another Tablet. ICS gave my Xoom new life. It's fast and butter smooth. I am running stock and it good enough for me. If you want to delete Files off your SDCard get SDCardXD ($1.49), definitely worth the price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghodzilla5150 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeroXoom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just got my Xoom!

I was looking to upgrade my iPad...and was actually thinking of going with either an Asus or Acer android tablet. It came down to getting an Acer as they were getting ICS in a few weeks...I was surprised in my continuing research that the Xoom already had ICS! I looked on Craigslist and scored one there for a VERY good price. I am very happy with it. A bit different and more technical than the iPad, but so far its been a great experience. I love the widgets and everything seems to be working well. So far the only thing I'm still trying to figure out is when to actually use my MicroSD card. Xoom has 32gb and has not run out of space...so I have a 32gb SD card sitting in the slot without any content!

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXoom View Post
I was looking to upgrade my iPad...and was actually thinking of going with either an Asus or Acer android tablet. It came down to getting an Acer as they were getting ICS in a few weeks...I was surprised in my continuing research that the Xoom already had ICS! I looked on Craigslist and scored one there for a VERY good price. I am very happy with it. A bit different and more technical than the iPad, but so far its been a great experience. I love the widgets and everything seems to be working well. So far the only thing I'm still trying to figure out is when to actually use my MicroSD card. Xoom has 32gb and has not run out of space...so I have a 32gb SD card sitting in the slot without any content!
The best thing is to load it up with media files--any music, video, pictures--that you aren't streaming. Also, you can point any backups to the microsd card to keep them safe and save space in your internal storage. 32G seems like a lot, but it will fill up fast if you do a lot of high def gaming, etc.

Have fun!
Nexus 7 32Gb - JB 4.2.2
Xoom WiFi - JB 4.2.1

sbrownla
Old
Thanks Meter 46
As long as it is NOT the 3G/4G version, go for it. Adopters of this version has been dicked around from the start.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium
Current devices: Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 10.1(2012), Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Nexus (for checking out the latest ROMS). Retired devices: Nokia--6800, N95, N900; HTC--SMT5600, TYTN, G1, G2; Samsung--Galaxy Tab; Motorola--Droid X (ugh), Xoom LTE (ugh), Defy (not even sure why I had that thing); LG--Optimus 3D (incredible camera, I should have kept it and miss it terribly)

ZeroXoom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by okantomi View Post
The best thing is to load it up with media files--any music, video, pictures--that you aren't streaming. Also, you can point any backups to the microsd card to keep them safe and save space in your internal storage. 32G seems like a lot, but it will fill up fast if you do a lot of high def gaming, etc.

Have fun!
Thanks! I am having fun downloading a bunch of apps from the multiple markets. I check first on Google's market...then go to the others. Is there a way to install/put the apps on the SD card? I've heard of something called Apps2SD - but from what I'm reading, I don't think that's the right app and probably doesn't work in ICS. I did download some gameloft game yesterday, and that thing is HUGE.

okantomi
Old
Thanks Meter 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXoom View Post
Thanks! I am having fun downloading a bunch of apps from the multiple markets. I check first on Google's market...then go to the others. Is there a way to install/put the apps on the SD card? I've heard of something called Apps2SD - but from what I'm reading, I don't think that's the right app and probably doesn't work in ICS. I did download some gameloft game yesterday, and that thing is HUGE.
I don't think any/many apps are made to run from sdcard on a tablet. It's because it natively has so much more space and differences in architecture (so I gather...I'm no expert).
Nexus 7 32Gb - JB 4.2.2
Xoom WiFi - JB 4.2.1

mrmako777
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2035
well guys, its gonna be a bit before i get my tablet now. i ordered one from walmart because i felt more comfortable in thinking i would get a US device with the ability to return it no problem if something was wrong with it. instead, wally sends me one that boots up for singapore and has a foreign charger with adapter...on top of the fact it looks like someone grabbed the display model and threw it in the box. needless to say im pretty bummed and im gonna return this thing, so i have to try and hunt down a legit device
Samsung Galaxy S III :: Stock 4.3 (rooted) :: Stock Samsung kernel
HTC Amaze 4G (S-OFF) :: Retired
Motorola Xoom (GED) :: Retired
HTC Mytouch 4G :: Retired
Motorola Milestone XT720 :: Retired

Check out my auctions on eBay

Follow me on tumblr.