Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 44,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

rom help

Tip us?
 
naifs_br10
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: toronto
Default rom help

i have a bell xt860

i want to root the phone and then install some nice custom roms to check em out

where are the guides ?
and what are some good roms that i can try out ?
 
Senate9690
Old
(Last edited by Senate9690; 19th April 2012 at 05:34 AM.)
#2  
Senate9690's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 96
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
You should be able to find all the information you need in the D3 Android Development Forum Everything is at the top. (Roms Root etc)

Root First
then get Safestrap
then install Roms made for XT860 or install Roms with a XT860 patch
Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB (VZW), Gummy 2.1 (4.4.2) modified and built from source, TWRP 2.6.3.1 Touch Recovery, SanDisk Class10 64GB ExtSD
Moto Droid 3 - Gummy ICS 4.0.4 Modified Build 1.2.x built from source (retired)
Moto Droid 1 - ChevyNo1 SS 5.6 1.0Ghz LV Kernel (retired)
The Following User Says Thank You to Senate9690 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
naifs_br10
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: toronto
any recommended roms for gb or ics ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senate9690 View Post
You should be able to find all the information you need in the D3 Android Development Forum Everything is at the top. (Roms Root etc)

Root First
then get Safestrap
then install Roms made for XT860 or install Roms with a XT860 patch
 
danifunker
Old
#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 889
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by naifs_br10 View Post
any recommended roms for gb or ics ?
I like AOKP, after installing the xt860 patch it works well. Right now I'm on the April 18 nightly.
Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
Need help restoring your Motorola phone back to stock firmware? Check out my tutorial here
 
naifs_br10
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I like AOKP, after installing the xt860 patch it works well. Right now I'm on the April 18 nightly.
Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
whats the method of installing safe strap

and how can you install rom straight and with a patch ?

is there a guide cause i dont want to brick the phone. i couldnt really find one
 
danifunker
Old
#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 889
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by naifs_br10 View Post
whats the method of installing safe strap

and how can you install rom straight and with a patch ?

is there a guide cause i dont want to brick the phone. i couldnt really find one

Safestrap shouldn't brick your phone, it works by tricking the system into using the preinstall partition as a new system partition and writing the new ROM there. I also have backups of the Bell preinstall and system partitions, which are available online (search other threads).

Make sure your internal SDCard has at least 4GB before begining this process, and your phone is fully charged (or mostly charged)

1) Root the phone ( use ZergRush or SuperOneClick - http://shortfuse.org/ )
2) Download and install SafeStrap, on your phone navigate to http://bit.ly/wwqy6y and install the APK
Full SafeStrap description here : http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/
3) Download the following files:
a) Get the ROM (Use AOKP or CM9, I have had AOKP working better with my phone and recommend that. Recently, some users have experienced phone issues, ie calling and data signal with AOKP and switched to CM9- I had the opposite experience)
For AOKP : http://t.co/fRCJ2fpx
For CM9 : http://t.co/bDTznUiX
b) Google Apps for Motorola: http://t.co/Sjda8UXJ
c) XT860 SubPatch (by Rick#2) http://bit.ly/A5hb6d
3) Restart the phone, after the "M dual core technology" a safestrap boot screen will appear, press the menu button.
4) Select safe boot menu -> Toggle Safe System (use the first option) and confirm. This will backup the entire data partition to the SD card, and change booting to go to safestrap. This process will take a little while, please be patient.
5) Once the safe system is toggled, go to the main menu, you should see on the second line "Safe System is: ENABLED" that mean's we're ready to go.
6) Go to Install Zip for SDCard, and navigate to the internal SD card's Download folder, install the ROM first, then repeat the process to install the Google Apps, then repeat again to install the XT860 subpatch.
7) Reboot the phone and enjoy your new treat!

Hope that helps,

BTW, I noticed you have Wind listed as your carrier. The Bell XT860 doesn't operate on AWS frequencies, so are you sure you're not roaming all the time on it, or did you do something else that we don't know about?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danifunker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
naifs_br10
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: toronto
i was with wind bro. then i switched. believe it or not i have a brand new razr from fido right now and i cant even use it cause i bricked that. now im using droid 3.

have to say i love motorola
 
danifunker
Old
#8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 889
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by naifs_br10 View Post
i was with wind bro. then i switched. believe it or not i have a brand new razr from fido right now and i cant even use it cause i bricked that. now im using droid 3.

have to say i love motorola
Cool, you're in Toronto? I wouldn't mind grabbing the RAZR from you; I want to try to unbrick it

PM me if you're interested...
 
naifs_br10
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 454
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Safestrap shouldn't brick your phone, it works by tricking the system into using the preinstall partition as a new system partition and writing the new ROM there. I also have backups of the Bell preinstall and system partitions, which are available online (search other threads).

Make sure your internal SDCard has at least 4GB before begining this process, and your phone is fully charged (or mostly charged)

1) Root the phone ( use ZergRush or SuperOneClick - http://shortfuse.org/ )
2) Download and install SafeStrap, on your phone navigate to http://bit.ly/wwqy6y and install the APK
Full SafeStrap description here : http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/how-to-safestrap/
3) Download the following files:
a) Get the ROM (Use AOKP or CM9, I have had AOKP working better with my phone and recommend that. Recently, some users have experienced phone issues, ie calling and data signal with AOKP and switched to CM9- I had the opposite experience)
For AOKP : http://t.co/fRCJ2fpx
For CM9 : http://t.co/bDTznUiX
b) Google Apps for Motorola: http://t.co/Sjda8UXJ
c) XT860 SubPatch (by Rick#2) http://bit.ly/A5hb6d
3) Restart the phone, after the "M dual core technology" a safestrap boot screen will appear, press the menu button.
4) Select safe boot menu -> Toggle Safe System (use the first option) and confirm. This will backup the entire data partition to the SD card, and change booting to go to safestrap. This process will take a little while, please be patient.
5) Once the safe system is toggled, go to the main menu, you should see on the second line "Safe System is: ENABLED" that mean's we're ready to go.
6) Go to Install Zip for SDCard, and navigate to the internal SD card's Download folder, install the ROM first, then repeat the process to install the Google Apps, then repeat again to install the XT860 subpatch.
7) Reboot the phone and enjoy your new treat!

Hope that helps,

BTW, I noticed you have Wind listed as your carrier. The Bell XT860 doesn't operate on AWS frequencies, so are you sure you're not roaming all the time on it, or did you do something else that we don't know about?

i installed safestrap but it wont open keeps giving me an error it wont open it in my droid 3 at all... how come?
 
danifunker
Old
#10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 239
Posts: 889
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by naifs_br10 View Post
i installed safestrap but it wont open keeps giving me an error it wont open it in my droid 3 at all... how come?
Make sure you are rooted first.

Sent from my XT860 running ICS
Need help restoring your Motorola phone back to stock firmware? Check out my tutorial here

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes