Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 41,196 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CDMA Users WILL BRICK their device with Alpharev HBOOTS

Tip us?

faille13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTV View Post
Oh my God, such a tough question. We should write Hawking, maybe he's got an answer! Oh wait... could it be because the CDMA Desire and the GSM one have somewhat different hardware thus they have different software also?
Youre such an ass you know that?
I asked a REAL question, and youre a jerk about it?
Watch how many low rating you get on this site.
See you around, jerk.

agismaniax
Old
(Last edited by agismaniax; 19th April 2012 at 03:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Somebody has already done that and his desire cdma is bricked. I think you should try it if you want to know the reason about this warning thread.
If you have desire cdma and want to change your partition to be alpharev hboot cm7r2 for example, you can use firerat cmtd for your safety. Same destination, different path.
Firerat's CustomMTD link is in my complete signature.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

DEVICE: Polytron W8470 (rooted with Framaroot) | RECOVERY: PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery
ROM: Stock ROM | MOD/SCRIPT: Xposed Framework + GravityBox + ViPER4Android + Seeder
---
DEVICE: HTC Desire CDMA (S-OFF with Revolutionary) | RECOVERY: 4EXT Recovery Touch 1.0.0.5 RC9
ROM: CM7 Nightly | HBOOT: CustomMTD CM7r2 | MOD/SCRIPT: Link2SD

TVTV
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by faille13 View Post
Youre such an ass you know that?
I asked a REAL question, and youre a jerk about it? [...]
Right, and what kind of an answer did you expect to your "real" question? Should we have attached detailed engineering schematics detailing the differences between the two devices and maybe some 1000 page documentation on the matter? The answer is as easy as simple logic: GSM and CDMA are different enough that the GSM HBOOTS won't work an the CDMA model.
HTC One SV c525u (K2_UL), stock 4.2.2 & Sense 5, no root;
Ex: HTC Desire PVT-4, lightweight CM 7.2.0.1, Oxygen r2 HBOOT, 4EXT Touch 1.0.0.5 RC5;
Ex: HTC Touch 3G T3232, stock ROM;

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

grillheadxl
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm sure he expected an explanatory answer, just as I did. It didn't have to be completely detailed, but a short explanation is better than none. I am not a hardcore dev but still want to have the most out of my machine, so that's why I have CM7 on it instead of Sense now. The benefits of the CM7/r2 Hboot look great, but no where did it say not to use it on CDMA, except for one thread I found where it was buried. I bricked mine 3 times before I gave up on the Hboot. Anyways, give us CDMA Desire folks a chance. We just want to understand whats up.

TVTV
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by grillheadxl View Post
The benefits of the CM7/r2 Hboot look great, but no where did it say not to use it on CDMA, except for one thread I found where it was buried.
The Alpharev site clearly states that their HBOOTs only work with GSM phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharev.nl
Warning: Make sure you have read all the warnings below before attempting to run this utility!

Supported devices:

HTC Desire GSM (Bravo), all hardware models (PVT4 too)
HTC Legend GSM, HBOOT 1.0+ is NOT supported
HTC myTouch 3G Slide (Espresso)
I believe there are few people here knowledgeable enough to give a detailed (engineer-level) explanation as to why GSM HBOOTs don't work with CDMA units.
HTC One SV c525u (K2_UL), stock 4.2.2 & Sense 5, no root;
Ex: HTC Desire PVT-4, lightweight CM 7.2.0.1, Oxygen r2 HBOOT, 4EXT Touch 1.0.0.5 RC5;
Ex: HTC Touch 3G T3232, stock ROM;

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

grillheadxl
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I completely botched that when I read it and didn't think about the GSM thing. I stand corrected.

theophile2
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desire. But the BCM post also says that the ROM needs 180mb on the /system partition and recommends using AlphaRev Data++. If that's not an option for the CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?

(BTW, if it matters, I originally had an N1 and loved it, then switched carriers and ended up on a CDMA Droid X, which was a pain. I'm switching to the Desire hoping it will be similar to me beloved N1, but I'm already seeing the major differences!)

agismaniax
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile2 View Post
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desir- CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?
You can try firerat's cmtd to make custom partition for your bravoc. You can see the link in my signature.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA

DEVICE: Polytron W8470 (rooted with Framaroot) | RECOVERY: PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery
ROM: Stock ROM | MOD/SCRIPT: Xposed Framework + GravityBox + ViPER4Android + Seeder
---
DEVICE: HTC Desire CDMA (S-OFF with Revolutionary) | RECOVERY: 4EXT Recovery Touch 1.0.0.5 RC9
ROM: CM7 Nightly | HBOOT: CustomMTD CM7r2 | MOD/SCRIPT: Link2SD

bjyahr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile2 View Post
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desire. But the BCM post also says that the ROM needs 180mb on the /system partition and recommends using AlphaRev Data++. If that's not an option for the CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?
Revolutionary works fine for BCM. If you need more space for apps, CMTD is a good start, but you'll probably be better off with m2sd.

Don't partition your sd/ext in Revolutionary/CWM- Minitool will work from a PC though.

Bonkurei
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Thank you very much, this is very useful information for desire cdma user. And save our device from brick.