Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Galaxy Player 5.0 INTL (YP-G70) - Stock/Rooted/rj Kernel

Tip us?

njguyc
Old
(Last edited by njguyc; 17th February 2012 at 11:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Ho View Post
If you want lagfix, you should use my other ROM. As you already experienced, if you lagfix a stock ROM, you may not have sufficient space to put everything back in because of extra overhead of ext4. If you really want to do that, you need to remove some system apps to free up sufficient space.

Is there any reason you want this stock ROM vs the WT ROM in the other thread? The stock ROM in this thread is more for a simple base for people to do all the modding they want. So, I don't plan to add any non-stock features except the kernel and root.

But for the WT ROM, I will add whenever I see fits (or I actually use ).
Since our YP-G70 is not a phone, I usually turn it off when not using it. So I prefer a odexed rom which will give a faster bootup. But your WT rom is deodexed. In one of your post, you mentioned can move some system apps (e.g. flash, map) to user apps in rooted stock rom using TB pro, is it safe? Also I wish to know whether any advantage using "integrate update to rom" (for system apps) in TB?
BTW. Many thanks for ur help on GPS tweak, my GPS fix in 10-15sec now!

WT Ho
Old
(Last edited by WT Ho; 18th February 2012 at 12:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguyc View Post
Since our YP-G70 is not a phone, I usually turn it off when not using it. So I prefer a odexed rom which will give a faster bootup. But your WT rom is deodexed. In one of your post, you mentioned can move some system apps (e.g. flash, map) to user apps in rooted stock rom using TB pro, is it safe? Also I wish to know whether any advantage using "integrate update to rom" (for system apps) in TB?
BTW. Many thanks for ur help on GPS tweak, my GPS fix in 10-15sec now!
Actually deodexed ROM will only experience boot delay on first boot after a Dalvik cache wipe. As you use your device, the Dalvik cache will be rebuilt, which has similar effect as odexing the ROM. Therefore, after some regular uses, your boot time will be on par with odexed ROM.

Would you mind sharing what you have change in the gps.conf in the end? I wonder what setting in gps.conf is the most important one.

As for using TB. It is usually safe to move system apps that can be found on the market. Actually, if an system app can be found on the Market, you can delete the system app using TB and install the one from market (it is less likely to run into trouble). "Integrate update to ROM" may or may not reduce system space. All system apps cannot be uninstalled or updated (technically speaking). When an update is available, say for Google Map, Android will not remove the old version under your system directory, but instead in will install the update as user app. If you integrate the update into the ROM, TB will actually install the update version back in the system directory. So, it may or may not free up extra space depending on the size of the new version.

njguyc
Old
(Last edited by njguyc; 20th February 2012 at 09:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Ho View Post
Actually deodexed ROM will only experience boot delay on first boot after a Dalvik cache wipe. As you use your device, the Dalvik cache will be rebuilt, which has similar effect as odexing the ROM. Therefore, after some regular uses, your boot time will be on par with odexed ROM.

Would you mind sharing what you have change in the gps.conf in the end? I wonder what setting in gps.conf is the most important one.

As for using TB. It is usually safe to move system apps that can be found on the market. Actually, if an system app can be found on the Market, you can delete the system app using TB and install the one from market (it is less likely to run into trouble). "Integrate update to ROM" may or may not reduce system space. All system apps cannot be uninstalled or updated (technically speaking). When an update is available, say for Google Map, Android will not remove the old version under your system directory, but instead in will install the update as user app. If you integrate the update into the ROM, TB will actually install the update version back in the system directory. So, it may or may not free up extra space depending on the size of the new version.
Thanks WT, I have tried different tweaks in the beginning. Finally end up with quite a simple one:
NTP_SERVER=nz.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
SUPL_PORT=7276
DEBUG_LEVEL=0
INTERMEDIATE_POS=0

For curiosity, I changed back to original one yesterday and found there's actually no difference. Now I have fix 10-15sec with original conf (testing with GPS essentials from Market). If I use Sygic, I can have immediate fix. I doubt GPS might have learning function bcoz once you used more, it had a quicker fix. The 1st time I used it with your rom, no fix over 3 min, that's why I started to look for some tweaks.But I am sure PFGPS v2.0 not working on my device (no fix at all). I checked their conf and found it was for A-GPS device.

Edit:Why integration of apps to rom take so long? I tried Market but lost patient finally (manually stopped it after 5min). After reboot, Market showed a strange interface. Tried TB restore of Market (app+data), but never end (>5min, have to manually stop again).

Found TB pro (my version is 4.7.6) can only restore data not apps (if restore any apps, never finish). But same version on my smartphone works fine. Does it have the same issue as XDA app which need to return a value etc? Have you got TB restore app function working on your device? I noticed that everytime I open TB, it always shows a system conf warning msg as attached (no matter I ticked debug or not), push ok and it started (there's no problem of backup though). Not sure whether it is related to the restore function. If it is not rom related, I may start a new thread in general area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120219-000145.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	907592  

njguyc
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Possible to cook some mods using UOT Kitchen

Hi WT, is there any problem if I want to cook battery mod (add % only) via UOT kitchen with only 1M free space left in rom? Have you tried with this odexed rom?

WT Ho
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguyc View Post
Hi WT, is there any problem if I want to cook battery mod (add % only) via UOT kitchen with only 1M free space left in rom? Have you tried with this odexed rom?
That's 'probably' good enough. UOT kitchen works with odexed rom as well. However before you do these modding, please make sure you do a backup in CWM Recovery first. If you have a backup, it is actually very harmless to try UOT. The worst can happen is boot loop, but you should still be able to go back to recovery mode and restore your system.

I have seen way too many people on this forum crying for help because they didn't do a backup. So, always do a backup first.
The Following User Says Thank You to WT Ho For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

njguyc
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks, done successfully! See screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120223-215410.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	915647  

njguyc
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I have now moved Gmail and Gmap to user apps, and got 12 M space, have lagfix now (change to ext4, still >6M left), really cool!

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

WT Ho
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Added a new one that based on XXKPH with rj14 kernel included.
The Following User Says Thank You to WT Ho For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xrayA4T
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Default Compass Spinning

Hi, I've installed the latest version of this but the compass just spins erratically. I never tested the stock Froyo kernel compass so I don't know if it is a hardware issue but I've read there is a gingerbread compass bug. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?

WT Ho
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayA4T View Post
Hi, I've installed the latest version of this but the compass just spins erratically. I never tested the stock Froyo kernel compass so I don't know if it is a hardware issue but I've read there is a gingerbread compass bug. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix?
People seems to be complaining about the compass bug on gingerbread all over the place. So far, I don't see a good solution yet. Hopefully, Samsung or Google will get it fixed upstream in next release.