[TELUS T959D FASCINATE] One Stop Shop (updated June 29 2013)

OP jpmccarthy

16th April 2012, 10:14 PM   |  #181  
Thanks Meter: 5

61 posts
Talking T959D running 4.0.4 ICS
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with ICS on our t959d phones.

I've been running AOKP for a few months with icy glitch and the ol tljl3 modem. I'm very impressed overall as everything works! (In gingerbread I also used the TLKG2 modem)

To install it I used Odin to flash darkys jvh, and then in recovery I formatted everything and cleared all caches, and then transferred Aokp b31 via cwm USB storage. Then I flashed the rom and ended up in a boot loop as I forgot to remove the external SD card. Took the SD out, booted, and good to go.

I ran into a problem once when I wanted to reflash B31, in recovery I formatted everything and then forgot to actually install the rom! The phone went into a boot loop and nothing worked to fix it. No 3 button combo, no battery pull technique, and even the trusty USB jig didn't do it!
4 hours and 2 doobies later I had ADB set up on my Linux box and once I told it that I'm attaching a nexus not a galaxy s, everything went fine. I used adb to get back to recovery and from there I flashed the rom and life was good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian DJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 12:52 PM   |  #182  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 348

1,989 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshado

I don't have an USB jig and wouldn't be able to get one for a little while. I think the safe approach will be to wait until I get one. (Away from home.)

(Although the colleague is an electronics technician who just might have the correct resistors handy...)

I was thinking of trying Heimdall instead of Odin because I've always had trouble getting (another version of) Odin to work on my computer to flash the Gio.

It also turns out that the phone is a Fascinate 4G (959P) but I don't think this really changes anything significant here. After some more reading it seems that the 959P and 959V have sufficiently different partition layouts that you can't just flash, say, an I9000 ROM with minimal work.

For the build.prop, I'd compare with a stock ROM file, but properties of interest in the CM9 nightly file would be:

ro.product.model
ro.product.name
ro.product.device
ro.build.product
ro.build.description
ro.build.fingerprint

Since build.prop does change from one nightly to another, I'd look into scripting a search and replace function instead of doing it manually. Bundling that with a capacitive keys fix into one update zip would make for a very convenient tool IMHO.

One thing that's surprised me looking at the I9000 nightly (coming from the Nexus S) is that it contains a modem.bin image...

I'll have to take a look at that - be nice to mod the build.prop so the T959D is recognized in the market, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpmccarthy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2012, 12:55 PM   |  #183  
OP Senior Member

1,989 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian DJ

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with ICS on our t959d phones.

I've been running AOKP for a few months with icy glitch and the ol tljl3 modem. I'm very impressed overall as everything works! (In gingerbread I also used the TLKG2 modem)

To install it I used Odin to flash darkys jvh, and then in recovery I formatted everything and cleared all caches, and then transferred Aokp b31 via cwm USB storage. Then I flashed the rom and ended up in a boot loop as I forgot to remove the external SD card. Took the SD out, booted, and good to go.

I ran into a problem once when I wanted to reflash B31, in recovery I formatted everything and then forgot to actually install the rom! The phone went into a boot loop and nothing worked to fix it. No 3 button combo, no battery pull technique, and even the trusty USB jig didn't do it!
4 hours and 2 doobies later I had ADB set up on my Linux box and once I told it that I'm attaching a nexus not a galaxy s, everything went fine. I used adb to get back to recovery and from there I flashed the rom and life was good.

Hey DJ - good to see you again - looks like you had a wacky experience. I've looked at Kang project stuff, but mostly for my TF.

I've noticed yesterday, my battery went to hell - but not sure what happened.

EDIT: I've wiped cache, dalvik, and nstool settings, recharged, and calibrated battery. Will see if that improves things (this morning I went from 100% to 68% in an hour).
Last edited by jpmccarthy; 17th April 2012 at 02:51 PM.
17th April 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #184  
Thanks Meter: 82

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccarthy

Hey DJ - good to see you again - looks like you had a wacky experience. I've looked at Kang project stuff, but mostly for my TF.

I've noticed yesterday, my battery went to hell - but not sure what happened.

EDIT: I've wiped cache, dalvik, and nstool settings, recharged, and calibrated battery. Will see if that improves things (this morning I went from 100% to 68% in an hour).

Look at the gallery that would do it (media server). Disable it and see what happens.

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA
17th April 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #185  
OP Senior Member

1,989 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknetbucky

Look at the gallery that would do it (media server). Disable it and see what happens.

Just did that Buck and downloaded betterbatterystats as well.

Might reflash the ROM - things are still dying. Noticed it yesterday and has gotten progressively worse. Really odd - haven't really screwed with the phone. Swapped my semaphore settings back to default, and governor on conservative.
17th April 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #186  

380 posts
More
Quote:

Just did that Buck and downloaded betterbatterystats as well.

Might reflash the ROM - things are still dying. Noticed it yesterday and has gotten progressively worse. Really odd - haven't really screwed with the phone. Swapped my semaphore settings back to default, and governor on conservative.

Make sure bnl is off completely too, that killed me once or twice

17th April 2012, 10:01 PM   |  #187  
OP Senior Member

1,989 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknetbucky

Make sure bnl is off completely too, that killed me once or twice

Do you mean BLN - I hate that and have it shut off. Battery is just sucking out of it, and biggest offender is Android OS - like 59% of the burn. Not sure what is up
18th April 2012, 12:10 PM   |  #188  

380 posts
More
Quote:

Do you mean BLN - I hate that and have it shut off. Battery is just sucking out of it, and biggest offender is Android OS - like 59% of the burn. Not sure what is up

Hmmmmm not sure. I am running extraordinary ics and currently at 66% after more then 2 days of light use. Maybe time for a new battery

18th April 2012, 10:51 PM   |  #189  
OP Senior Member

1,989 posts
More
Maybe... Died after 9 hours today. Android OS and exchange being the pigs.

</not an iPad>
19th April 2012, 03:32 PM   |  #190  

380 posts
More
Quote:

Maybe... Died after 9 hours today. Android OS and exchange being the pigs.

</not an iPad>

Exchange has been an issue its the encryption that causes that. I didn't know you used that. The os a false reading it happens on most pics roms as mine reports the sane

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread