Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 42,882 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GT-p6210 ICS released by May 1st

Tip us?

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1969
Wink GT-p6210 ICS released by May 1st

...of the year 2015.

moderators: I'm very sorry (not really) for the sarcastic spam, but I've grown more and more unhappy with Samsung in regards to them keeping their promises. At this point, other than my P6210 tablet, I've sold every single one of my android devices that are controlled by samsung.

I still have a galaxy nexus, but thankfully the source for that is controlled by google - not samsung.

Q1 has come and gone. No ICS. Hell, they STILL won't release the source for the damn wifi driver! The same source that qualcomm (who owns atheros) released under the GPL, but samsung says that they (samsung) get to choose between GPL and BSD and they are choosing BSD. Why? What good does it do Samsung to NOT release the source? If Apple.. er.. samsung wants to treat their customers this way, I can take my future business elsewhere.

If I wanted a closed platform, I'd buy an iphone or ipad.

Gary

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.

ngc2264
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default I agree

And I feel that with the increasingly number of similar tablets that Samsung puts in the market, the hopes for further updates are extremely low. Maybe we will have a first revision of ICS, but better it is good, because I don't think they will fix whatever is wrong.

Zadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I will agree with Gary in terms of how closed Samsung is making their "open" device. Though that is coming from a developer. From a consumer perspective having or not having ICS makes no difference to them. Unfortunately as our world becomes more tech illiterate the more these devices will become more and more locked down and cause stagnation in innovation.

Sorry to hear you leaving though you were a great help here.

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1969
I'm not leaving the p6210... its the only samsung device I'm keeping. However, until and unless Samsung gives me something more than incomplete and outdated source, there's nothing else for me to do. I can't fix the wifi bugs, because Apple..er..Samsung won't release the source.

If they ever get around to pushing out ICS (big "if" there) AND they release the source, I'll play with that. I might even find the time to just port AOSP (or even better - AOKP) over.

After using a galaxy nexus for a few days, I don't miss touchwiz at all.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

Zadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Well that's good to hear... It sounded as if you were leaving us there. Though supposedly someone is making headway with wifi with the cm9 ics build. You might want to check in there.

fewt
Old
Thanks Meter 5
What's with the driver? Does the GPL driver not support our cards, is it just missing the pci id? I'm new to this slate, so I don't have much exposure to the current issues like this.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

ldloh2
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Even Huawei Springboard (my 2nd tablet) already received ICS, I also disappointed a bigger company like Samsung get update slower then Huawei

Sent from my GT-P6200 using XDA App
Sony K700 - Nokia N65 - Nokia N73 - Nokia N95 - Samsung Omnia II - Iphone 3GS - LG P970 - Galaxy Tab P1000 on ICS RC1 - Huawei Mediapad on ICS 4.0.3 , Galaxy tab 7 plus using ParanoidAndroid 3.50 , Galaxy Mega 6.3 stock ROM.

bdds13
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewt View Post
What's with the driver? Does the GPL driver not support our cards, is it just missing the pci id? I'm new to this slate, so I don't have much exposure to the current issues like this.

GPL is not a driver, GPL is a open source licence.

fewt
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yes, I know the difference between GPL & BSD (both are OSS licenses.) I was asking if the GPL version would work if it was updated with the p6210 WIFI PCI ID.

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewt View Post
For doing an AOSP type implementation where 100% of the source is available, yes - it might.

For trying to do a kernel that would work with the rest of the samsung firmware, no - it won't. There are 3 parts that have to work together here: the actual driver (ar6003.ko in samsung's firmware), wpa_supplicant (which, on stock p6210 implementations has a ar6003 specific interface compiled in) and the rest of the firmware (settings page, etc.)

The "rest of the firmware" calls wpa_supplicant to do the dirty work of the wifi driver, and wpa_supplicant makes calls directly into the driver.

I'm sure I typed all this before, in another thread months ago, and went into great detail. The short version is this:

I need the source for the ar6003 driver and the source for wpa_supplicant (for the ar6003 interface.) Both of these are released in "GPL/BSD" dual licenses by their authors, meaning that samsung can, in theory, choose which license model to use when they include that code. Samsung has told me that they are claiming BSD for both and therefore will refuse to release the source to any modifications that might be included.

I've tried pulling in the generic ar600x code from mainline linux, but it wasn't working for me with the rest of the samsung stuff... and I simply don't have the time to mess with that for endless hours just because samsung is trying to be apple-like and make android a closed platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]