Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] unlock and root tf201 9.4.2.21

Tip us?

chisser98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] unlock and root tf201 9.4.2.21

Hi all.

Ok, I'm fairly confused as to how to go about rooting my transformer prime 9.4.2.21 tablet.

As I understand it, I should be able to unlock the tablet, then install a 'ROM' that is already rooted, which means..I can boot into the 'ROM' and have root access??

So, I set out and unlocked my tablet (I'm aware of the warranty repercussions). Done. Now I want to root the tablet so I can install Ubuntu or perhaps Debian on it...does anyone know how I go about this?

I'm SURE this has been asked, I just can't seem to find it...I'm also quite new to the mobile 'hacking' world, and I'm a bit confused about all the buzz words (i.e. 'flashing a ROM', etc)..

I appreciate any help!

Cheers

aawshads
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I am pretty sure the next step after unlocking it is installing CWM, then using that to install the ROM of your choice.

Anyone else want to chime in here?

Spidey01
Old
Thanks Meter 104
A.) Unlock.
B.) Flash ROM (you may want to pick before unlock0.
C.) Enjoy.

Unless it says otherwise you can assume any ROM that isn't from the manufacture, is rooted. The development section has ROMs, unlock, and Ubuntu crap. I use Debian in a chroot rather than native, and forgo X11. You may have to search for some things.

- Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile )SGH-T999, stock+rooted.
- ASUS Transformer TF201 32GB, CyanogenMod.
- ASUS Transformer TF101 32GB, Prime ROM (damaged/retired).
- HTC MyTouch 4G Slide, CM 9.1-stable, retired.
- HTC MyTouch 4G, my first CyanogenMod (7.1), sold.
- LG Optimus T, stock+rooted. gifted to a beautiful Firefly.
My journal

aawshads
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Can you point out a thread on how to install CWM from an unrooted device? Been searching,, but every thread points to Viperboy's thread, which will not work on .21.

McLiarpants
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawshads View Post
Can you point out a thread on how to install CWM from an unrooted device? Been searching,, but every thread points to Viperboy's thread, which will not work on .21.
You can't install CWM if you haven't unlocked. Root doesn't have anything to do with unlocking.

I suggest using Viperboy's tool to unlock your device. Be careful to follow ALL the directions and you'll be just fine.

Quote:
Now I want to root the tablet so I can install Ubuntu or perhaps Debian on it...does anyone know how I go about this?
Rooting and unlocking are different. If you are unlocked, research which ROM you'd like to install and follow the directions in that thread. Virtually every ROM thread has the directions listed. There's even a thread if you want to try Ubuntu, though it has limited functionality right now.

Personally, I like Jermaine's AOKP ROM. It is really fast and smooth.

aawshads
Old
(Last edited by aawshads; 19th April 2012 at 05:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
That's all well and good, how do you install CWM after unlocking? All of the posts say to use viperboy's tool, but it is not available at this time, the link is dead.

On version 4.5 that I already have option 5 unlock says "MUST BE ROOTED!!"

Are you saying it works without root? Or will the Fastboot method here work?

ok mcliar, I found in another thread from you this:

EDIT: I fixed it! I was able to pull an .apk of OTA Voodoo Rootkeep from a previous Titanium Backup file. I installed the app, and it restored root for me! Its possible that I was already still rooted, but without the ability to d/l apps I couldn't do anything about it. Anyway, I'm back with a rooted .21!

I have a similar situation, lost wifi, did a factory reset, lost voodoo and now can't reroot. How did you pull the apk and install it on the prime?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1013551  

McLiarpants
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawshads View Post
That's all well and good, how do you install CWM after unlocking? All of the posts say to use viperboy's tool, but it is not available at this time, the link is dead.

On version 4.5 that I already have option 5 unlock says "MUST BE ROOTED!!"

Are you saying it works without root? Or will the Fastboot method here work?

ok mcliar, I found in another thread from you this:

EDIT: I fixed it! I was able to pull an .apk of OTA Voodoo Rootkeep from a previous Titanium Backup file. I installed the app, and it restored root for me! Its possible that I was already still rooted, but without the ability to d/l apps I couldn't do anything about it. Anyway, I'm back with a rooted .21!

I have a similar situation, lost wifi, did a factory reset, lost voodoo and now can't reroot. How did you pull the apk and install it on the prime?
I had a backup apk from titanium backup. I'll attach the apk so you can see if it works for you.

Yes, Viperboy's tool will unlock and install CWM without root (EDIT: come to think of it, I was rooted when I ran this. You can follow this if it doesn't work for you--->). Alternatively, you can use the ASUS tool itself, and then follow this thread to install CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to McLiarpants For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chisser98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default seems like everything needs root...

Ok...

So, I need to 'Flash a ROM'...right. I'm looking in the development section, and the ones I'm looking at require CWM to be installed..but that (from what I can find) requires root to install...

There was a mention of ViperMOD. However, from what I can tell that program will install CWM after you root the device, which it can't for me, as I'm running .21.

I've also read several mentions about using Rom Manager. I installed the free version, and tried to install CWM that way, but it failed with 'An error occurred while attempting to run priviledged commands', presumable because I need to root the device first.

Soo...it really looks like I need to root the device before I can do anything. Is this incorrect? It seems like it is, but when I look into the suggestions listed here I seem to run into a brick wall because I need a rooted device...

I appreciate all the suggestions guys, I really want to get stuff working on my TFP. Any help is (as always!) appreciated.

Thanks

chisser98
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLiarpants View Post
I had a backup apk from titanium backup. I'll attach the apk so you can see if it works for you.

Yes, Viperboy's tool will unlock and install CWM without root (EDIT: come to think of it, I was rooted when I ran this. You can follow this if it doesn't work for you--->). Alternatively, you can use the ASUS tool itself, and then follow this thread to install CWM.
oops sorry, I missed that CWM link...I'll check that out.

aawshads
Old
(Last edited by aawshads; 19th April 2012 at 08:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
I have been researching all day, you will need to use fastboot in order to install cwm for the first time if you don't already have root. It will be what I use if I cannot get this titanium backup apk to work.

Mcliar, I appreciate you getting me the APK. I will let you know how it goes.