Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 46,036 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Razr eol

Tip us?

sRDennyCrane
Old
Thanks Meter 288
EOL just means it won't be available new anymore. At that point, when stock runs out, it'll be off the shelves and off the website menus. It will still be available (for awhile) as a reman item. Support will continue. The Droid X, released mid-July, 2010, just got an update a couple days ago.

The Razr Maxx will probably be around until November and then it will be EOL, too. By then, the next new shiny thing will have been released. This is the normal cycle of products these days.
I'm on Twitter. I never say anything important. @sRDennyCrane
Acer Iconia Tablet A700
Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
Samsung Galaxy S4

Click For My Nexus 7 Review

MillionManMosh
Old
Thanks Meter 36
What piece of consumer electronics isn't made to be disposable? Aside from kitchen appliances and desktop PCs, almost everything in your house is made of plastic, soldered and glued together, closed off with oddball Torx sizes and labeled "not user serviceable".

I get the feeling that even my car wasn't made to be worked on. Anyone who has changed a headlight in a late model Mazda (and others, I'm certain) knows what I'm talking about.

So instead of service professionals we have extended warranties and refurbishment depots. This is nothing new and certainly not exclusive to the Razr.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillionManMosh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sRDennyCrane
Old
Thanks Meter 288
You're absolutely correct. EVERY area sees this and your Torx example was spot-on. This is proven by the fact that beyond Torx fasteners, there are now Torx Security fasteners that require even more specialized tools to remove.
I'm on Twitter. I never say anything important. @sRDennyCrane
Acer Iconia Tablet A700
Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
Samsung Galaxy S4

Click For My Nexus 7 Review