Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Change the function of the hardware keys?

Tip us?

siggehandf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question Change the function of the hardware keys?

Searched around alittle to see if anyone had found any means of doing this, but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if it's possible to assing the "settings" function to the browser key?

Thanks
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - Paranoid edition!

obscure.detour
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggehandf View Post
Searched around alittle to see if anyone had found any means of doing this, but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if it's possible to assing the "settings" function to the browser key?

Thanks
Look here. It has a lot of information on it. You should be able to do with relative ease.

Cheers.
Current:
Nexus 4 | Stock 4.4 Rooted
Nvidia EVGA Tegra Note 7 | Stock 4.2.2
ThinkPad Tablet | 183822U | CM10 kang

Oldies:
Nexus S | i9020t | Sold.
Nexus One | Amon_RA 2.2.1 | CM 7.2
HP TouchPad | Gone.

siggehandf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Sweet!, Worked like a charm with root explorer.

Dueces99
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Just stumbled on this thread and thought id give it a shot on my K1. Everything went fine, files were same name and in same location, mounted the dir. Rw then changed my hardware button (the one thats Home/Back/Menu), saved the file with a backup but no changes were made. I even changed the buttons in the other file showing only hardware buttons and then rebooted but still nothing...

Im thinking that since this mod was for the TPT and Im on a K1, theres something Im missing. Any K1 owners had any success with re-mapping the hardware buttons?

Sent From My K1
Razr MAXX XT912 (LiquidSmooth KK 3.0, JBX Kernel OC @ 1.365ghz)
Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Jump Roms daily, Currently Carbon KK 3/16 Nightly w/Glitch 2/25 Kernel OC @ 2.16ghz)
Lenovo IdeaPad K1 (4.1.1 CM10.1 OCed@1.4ghz)
ViewSonic G-Tab (G-Harmony ICS 4.0.4 ODEXed; OCed@1.5ghz)

"I know enough to know that I don't know much"
The Following User Says Thank You to Dueces99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jjordan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default may need to set permissions on file

You may need to set permissions on the file before you can save. Using "File Manager HD" I had to enable root explorer and mount systems folders under the settings and then add write permissions to Group and Others in the permissions dialog, probably don't need Others but I am lazy. Don't forget to change the permissions back after you save your changes. Incorrect permissions settings can sometimes really bork things.

Also seems that the settings might be a little different under ICS, I am getting "Touchscreen Toggled" instead of the menu after setting 150 to MENU.

-j

siggehandf
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
On the Lenovo boards, it has been comfirmed in the released chineese manual, that pen only mode is avaible. SoSweet!

jjordan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Menu's not allowed in ICS

Well, here is why remapping the browser button to MENU does not work in ICS, looks like we are no longer allowed to have a menu.

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...nu-button.html

Still playing with it but it appears that no matter what I put on the line after key 150 I just get touch-screen toggled, which is useful but not what I want.

-j

BTW doin' this on a Thinkpad Tablet

The Following User Says Thank You to jjordan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]