XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PPTP encryption fix (getting close)

Tip us?

redpilleatr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityfactor View Post
This was absorbing too much of my time, so I finally gave in and set up L2TP.
Interesting that PPTP failed you, but L2TP worked. I had the opposite experience. A stock unrooted Android 2.2.2 connected to a debian pptpd just fine, mostly with default settings. (although I didn't go as far as to route traffic, just confirmed that there's an encrypted connection)

But it's ipsec that doesn't work for me. Would you please post the L2TP server configuration that works for you?

I'll post the PPTP server settings if anyone is interested.

velocityfactor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The PPTP doesn't fail until you send traffic. Specifically, it works ok until you send a large packet that get fragmented. Then it seems the encryption becomes out of sync and things go downhill from there.

My L2TP is running on Windows Server just using default settings, so nothing to post really.

This thread should probably be closed since it doesn't really relate to the Charge specifically and the fix isn't "getting close" afaik.

Shayne

xdadevnube
Old
Thanks Meter 90
At this point, I essentially gave up on PPTP on the Charge (more specifically, Froyo and Gingerbread), but I did some testing on ICS the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus works fine with my DD-WRT PPTP server. I didn't notice any issues with it.
But yeah, on both Froyo and Gingerbread I could get a PPTP connection to link up, but no traffic would pass.

Thankfully it seems that Google got it right with ICS, now I just have to spend more money on an ICS phone to get the features they advertise

Perhaps ICS will roll out to the Charge, but I'm not going to bet the farm on it. It would be interesting to try PPTP connectivity on JT's ICS build, but I do need the cellular radios to work so I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

JihadSquad
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdadevnube View Post
At this point, I essentially gave up on PPTP on the Charge (more specifically, Froyo and Gingerbread), but I did some testing on ICS the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus works fine with my DD-WRT PPTP server. I didn't notice any issues with it.
But yeah, on both Froyo and Gingerbread I could get a PPTP connection to link up, but no traffic would pass.

Thankfully it seems that Google got it right with ICS, now I just have to spend more money on an ICS phone to get the features they advertise

Perhaps ICS will roll out to the Charge, but I'm not going to bet the farm on it. It would be interesting to try PPTP connectivity on JT's ICS build, but I do need the cellular radios to work so I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
I think samsung screwed it up more than the OS.

Haadkoe
Old
(Last edited by Haadkoe; 9th April 2012 at 12:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:

Interesting, as my galaxy nexus on 4.0.4 is unable to effectively access my ddwrt based pptp Vpn server. With mppe encryption enabled, it won't connect at all. With encryption disabled, it connects but incoming traffic stalls like many people above mentioned. Nothing on the remote wan or remote LAN seem to be accessible from the phone as best as I can tell.

Ddwrt vpn server is configured correctly as my windows 7 PC can connect to it without a problem.

xdadevnube
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haadkoe View Post
Interesting, as my galaxy nexus on 4.0.4 is unable to effectively access my ddwrt based pptp Vpn server. With mppe encryption enabled, it won't connect at all. With encryption disabled, it connects but incoming traffic stalls like many people above mentioned. Nothing on the remote wan or remote LAN seem to be accessible from the phone as best as I can tell.

Ddwrt vpn server is configured correctly as my windows 7 PC can connect to it without a problem.
I dunno, but I just got it working on ICS 4.03 CleanROM Kang Tapped Edition for the HTC Rezound.
MPPE enabled.
It passes traffic, can browse the web, copy files from a network share. Connectivity does not get lost.
It does use the remote gateway.
I didn't check on if it was possible to set a local gateway.
Anyways, I've been waiting for this damned feature for quite some time.
If all you want to do is access your PC's files, I suggest PocketCloud Explore.
It is pretty tight.

thefriskychip
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haadkoe View Post

there is a specific way to force Encryption on the PPTP server on ddwrt

More info.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php..._Configuration

xdadevnube
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Okay, for anybody interested, I did get successful VPN with encryption working on the Droid Charge with an app called VPNRoot:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....vpnroot&hl=en
Plus, this allows one to have no pin or pattern unlock, no lock screen at all actually.
It worked for me on both the Droid Charge with Tweakstock 2.0 and the HTC Rezound with an ICS ROM.
I paid for the pro version of the VPNRoot app by donating to the dev. Now I finally have the feature I wanted over a year ago when I got my Charge.
ICS works with VPN, but you have to have a pin or pattern lockscreen on your phone. If you disable the lockscreen with NoLock or via a tweak, you still have to enter your pin or pattern every time you click a notification....
VPNRoot does exactly what I want. For some reason at first I had trouble with it, but the latest version seemed to fix all the issues.
I haven't done thorough testing on speed yet, but hopefully will soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to xdadevnube For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vfrjim
Old
(Last edited by vfrjim; 18th March 2013 at 03:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Okay, for anybody interested, I did get successful VPN with encryption working on the Droid Charge with an app called VPNRoot:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....vpnroot&hl=en
Plus, this allows one to have no pin or pattern unlock, no lock screen at all actually.
It worked for me on both the Droid Charge with Tweakstock 2.0 and the HTC Rezound with an ICS ROM.
I paid for the pro version of the VPNRoot app by donating to the dev. Now I finally have the feature I wanted over a year ago when I got my Charge.
ICS works with VPN, but you have to have a pin or pattern lockscreen on your phone. If you disable the lockscreen with NoLock or via a tweak, you still have to enter your pin or pattern every time you click a notification....
VPNRoot does exactly what I want. For some reason at first I had trouble with it, but the latest version seemed to fix all the issues.
I haven't done thorough testing on speed yet, but hopefully will soon.
VPNRoot works great, thanks! I have the same issue on my Hyundai T7 with android 4.0.4, times out connecting to my VPN, but this app solves that problem.

Tags
encryption, mppe, pptp, vpn